2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Jvm's January Mtp Thread, Weekly assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Jan 3 2010, 10:20 PM
Instructor
Hello JVM,

We are continuing with our MTP in January where we left of in December. I hope you had good celebration for new years and extra couple days of, now its time to do some work. Your 1st assignment will be based on Triads lesson but this time you will do 2nd part of series.

1st assignment and REC :

- Triads in C major scale part 2

- Record video of Triads in C major scale part 2 lesson found HERE
- Use backing track provided in the thread when recording it.
- Try to apply left hand fingerings I applied but stick to right hand fingerings all the way.
- Upload video on Youtube and post it in this thread here.
- When you are done with video, post it in REC part of forum for grading!

Deadline for this assignment is January 10th.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  120bpm_main.mp3 ( 1.1MB ) Number of downloads: 226

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 7 2010, 02:31 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Pedja,

Tomorrow is my friend's birthday. I'm traveling with him to go snowboarding/skiing for two days beginning tomorrow, we return saturday morning. I'm aware the assignment is due sunday, but I've been practicing and will be able to record it and post it either saturday or sunday. Just keeping you posted smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 7 2010, 02:33 AM
Instructor
Hi JVM,

Thank you for letting me know! It will be no problem if you don't make it on deadline. Go with your friend and have fun on his birthday, it is more important right now then this assignment. When you come back see what you can do. We can push the deadline by day or two, no problem. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 12 2010, 09:46 AM
Learning Roadie
Hi Pedja, the video is in the rec forum, so I guess you can find it in the secret instructor rec grading area once they get to it.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 13 2010, 03:36 PM
Instructor
Hi JVM,

Just graded your take with a 9. Very good work man just work on playing a bit louder on string sets 432 and 321 especially top melody note. New assignment coming soon!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 01:35 AM
Instructor
JVM we continue with your 2nd assignment for January. This assignment is sort of like an essay or written theory behind your current level of knowledge. This will help me totally understand where you at right now. I will give you couple of topics from which you can choose one (or more if you want to!) and write me as many things as possible about it. The deadline for this assignment is 17th of January. Here are the topics for your 2nd assignment :

1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.
2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.
3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?
4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?
5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?
6) Tell me everything you know about chord tone and tension relationship with harmony ?
7) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor scale harmony?
8) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor modes and harmony?

Remember, pick one (or more if you can do it by deadline) and write me as much as possible on given subject. I want to read and understand how you approach and understand given material.
Deadline for this assignment is 3 days from now, 17th of January. Let me know if you have any questions!

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 14 2010, 02:55 AM
Learning Roadie
No problem Pedja, I will fully explain as much as I can for you smile.gif Hopefully this will reveal some areas in need of work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 14 2010, 03:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 14 2010, 02:55 AM) *
No problem Pedja, I will fully explain as much as I can for you smile.gif Hopefully this will reveal some areas in need of work.

That is the idea JVM. If things are missing in certain areas we will fill them in, if there is nothing missing you will get tons of practical assignments how to apply this knowledge in music smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 16 2010, 12:12 AM
Learning Roadie
1) Tell me everything you know about major scale. Construction, intervals, harmony and everything else you feel I need to know.

I learned about the major scale here at GMC (though it wasn't the first time I'd heard about it, just the first time I began practicing it). What I know so far is that the major scale is built of the following intervals: maj 2nd, maj 3rd, perfect 4th, perfect 5th, major 6th, major 7th, and that translates from key to key.

Harmony is achieved when two or more notes are played together. To get the chordal harmony of the major scale, you basically take your root note (any note of the key, so for C, CDEFGA or cool.gif and then stack thirds, both major or minor, on top. The easy way to do this is to 'skip a note, take a note' through the scale, so that C major is C D E F G and so on.

In addition, there are three chord functions within the scale, that of Tonic, Dominant, and Sub-Dominant. These are organized based on the notes contained within the chords, and the notes themselves each have a tonic, dominant, or sub-dominant function as well (right?). Tonic type chords contain the most consonant notes of the scale, which are found in the Tonic Chord, the root of the scale. So C major would have C E G, and tonic type chords should have at least two of those notes in them, preferably with one being the C. Dominant chords like to resolve back to tonic type chords. These chords contain the 2nd 4th and 7th notes of the scale, which tend to want to resolve to the root/third note, third/fifth note, or the root, respectively. These include G major and B diminished in the key of C. Lastly there is sub-dominant, which acts to keep cadences a little more interesting and fresh, and include the 6th and sometimes the 4th.

2) Tell me everything you know about cadences in major scale and its modes. Use C major scale for explanations.

Cadences are groups of chords, that when played together in some progression, produce a certain modal feeling in the progression. To determine what chords go together into modal cadences, we need to know what notes are characteristic of that mode. Pedja, could you explain to me how we determine the chords for the Ionian cadence? I am a little confused because for the other modes, I am used to comparing them against the major/minor and seeing their differences.

3) Tell me everything you know about major scale modes?

Modes are individual scales related to a major key center. Every major scale has 7 modes, one for each of the notes in the scale. In addition, each mode contains the same notes as each other mode in the key, but arranged in different order. On the guitar neck, this is confusing to many beginners (how can two scales share the same notes but be different scales? why does this still sound like C Major to me?), but in fact what has happened is the interval makeup of the scale has shifted. So while in C major your perfect 5th may be the G, if you are playing in G mixolydian, with all the same notes and 'pattern' across the neck, you can no longer consider the G to have the same function (it has changed from 5th to root). It can be said that modes are best understood paired with the concepts of Harmony and Cadence.

4) Tell me everything you know about modal harmony?
What little I know is that the harmony basically works the same was in modes as it does in major scales (since it's all so closely related anyway). The difference is, when you are in a mode, you need to shift your interval arrangement to match the mode. What I mean is, if you are playing E phrygian, with the same chords as C major, your new root chord is E minor. Armed with this knowledge, you can go on creating chords out of the scale/mode the same way you usually do. Skip one, take one. This results in the same chords as the related modes, but chords that have different functions.

5) Tell me everything you know about pentatonic scales?
My experience with pentatonic scales is more limited than I would like. I know they're great for the blues, but there is much more to them. In my mind, the way I think of them is as a major scale with two notes taken out (4th and 7th). This makes the scale more basic, but also more 'punchy' because each note is relatively strong. I have heard some things about hinting at modes through pentatonic scales, but that's about all I know.

6) Tell me everything you know about chord tone and tension relationship with harmony ?
Can you clarify this question for me a bit more? To me this sounds like chord substitution and chord functions, which I explained what I know of above.

7) Tell me everything you know about natural/harmonic/melodic minor scale harmony?
I've never really studied outside of the major scale and related modes. I know the natural minor is the same as the aeolian, but I do not really know much about harmonic and melodic minor. So, you can pretty much apply this answer to question #8 as well.

Cheers smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 18 2010, 02:53 AM
Instructor
JVM excellent work!

I will answer your question : Pedja, could you explain to me how we determine the chords for the Ionian cadence? I am a little confused because for the other modes, I am used to comparing them against the major/minor and seeing their differences.

Ionian cadence just like any other mode has to have Tonic and Dominant type chord in it. In Ionian that is I maj and V dominant 7 chord for example. That is very simple cadence, more compound cadence is Tonic, Subdominant and Dominant which is I , IV V I .
Same concept applies to the other 5 major scale modes (Locrian is not practical mode and very unstable therefore we don't use it and discuss it smile.gif. You just have to figure out what Tonic type chord is the mode as well as Subdominant and Dominant.

Hope that makes sense and helps!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 22 2010, 07:37 PM
Instructor
JVM here are your remaining assignments for January.

3rd assignment :

- Read Superimposing with Minor Pentatonics post HERE
- After reading the whole thing with related link posts, think about choosing one chord and one approach you will use for recording!

4th assignment :

- After you have chosen your approach, record a backing track with that chord and on top of that record yourself soloing with 1 or all 3 minor pentatonics corresponding with that mode!

Let me give you an example here. Lets say that you have chosen A minor as your chord. Now you also chose A minor to be treated as II (Dorian sounding). In that case you should play minor pentatonics from G major scale ( A , B and E minor pentatonics) over A min chord in the background. 4th assignment asks you only to pick 1 but it also allows you to use all 3 pentatonics if you want to.
Backing track doesn't have to be anything fancy for this purpose. Just guitar playing the chord will do, if you want to add bass and drums to that to make it sound tighter go ahead!

Deadline for these assignments is 31st of January! Let me know if you have any questions !

Pedja

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 22 2010, 10:34 PM
Learning Roadie
Awesome assignment, I will tackle this one this weekend!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 23 2010, 03:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 22 2010, 10:34 PM) *
Awesome assignment, I will tackle this one this weekend!

Very glad to hear that JVM. Look forward to your work man !

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2010, 06:57 PM
Learning Roadie
I've been having some audio/latency problems, I can't really record when my audio likes to cut out for a whole second at a time now and then. I'm not sure why it's doing it, I have a feeling it might be related to old line6 gear I'm using to record with, but I could be wrong. As soon as it's resolved though I will record the assignment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 27 2010, 07:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 27 2010, 06:57 PM) *
I've been having some audio/latency problems, I can't really record when my audio likes to cut out for a whole second at a time now and then. I'm not sure why it's doing it, I have a feeling it might be related to old line6 gear I'm using to record with, but I could be wrong. As soon as it's resolved though I will record the assignment.

You could do video instead if possible?

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 27 2010, 07:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Jan 27 2010, 01:02 PM) *
You could do video instead if possible?

I usually record by doing the line out on my amp into a line6 toneport GX, including in the videos. The webcam has terrible audio, though actually I have a field recorder I could use. It has an overdub function so I could do that, but I would rather figure out what this problem is. But I'll do that if I can't figure it out in time.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 28 2010, 02:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 27 2010, 07:25 PM) *
I usually record by doing the line out on my amp into a line6 toneport GX, including in the videos. The webcam has terrible audio, though actually I have a field recorder I could use. It has an overdub function so I could do that, but I would rather figure out what this problem is. But I'll do that if I can't figure it out in time.

I was about to suggest that option as well. If you don't figure out the problem in time then try to do it with video and overdub function with field recorder. You got around 4 days left, I am sure you will figure something out smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 28 2010, 07:30 PM
Learning Roadie
Yes, and I am free for all four of them smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jan 28 2010, 10:25 PM
Instructor
You should be all set in that case smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 29 2010, 08:51 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey Pedja, I think I've gotten it working again. I'm not sure what it was. There are still occasional audio dropouts, but only every few takes usually. I have not done the assignment yet, but I have a recording I'd like you to hear anyway. It came about as I was testing the setup again to see if I could record. It features my electro harmonix memory man utilizing the backwards delay (or really, a reversed loop). This also the first time I've tried using harmonized lines. I kind of like it smile.gif I will complete the assignment later tonight or tomorrow.

Attached File  aminharmony.mp3 ( 1.05MB ) Number of downloads: 194

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 29 2010, 10:04 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 04:37 PM