Moderation Policy Director
Hi there Smoke on the water singers !

Kris
Muris
Luciana
Maria
David
Jerry

We have 6 original signups plus Nemanja - 6 would have worked great, 7 is a little more awkward smile.gif

So this is how I would like to do it - I want to split each verse between 2 people. The first person sings the first 4 lines, the second person sings the last 4 lines. Then, they harmonize for the chorus. I'll pick the pairs, but let you decide in this thread who goes first, and who sings the harmony in the chorus and who sings the tune. For the harmonized chorus, whoever sings the lead can send me that part along with the verse part they are doind.

The person doing the harmony in the chorus will need to wait until that is done to sing the harmony on top - I'll collect the first recordings and make new backings with the main vocal in for the harmony singers if that will help, or if you like you can work it out between you - let me know what you prefer!

I am using this link for lyrics:

http://www.lyricsfreak.com/d/deep+purple/s...r_20038742.html

So, my picks are:

Verse 1 : Kris/Muris

Verse 2 : Luciana/Maria (I think it will sound amazing to have the ladies singing together!)

Verse 3 : David/Jerry

Nemanja - can you perhaps think of something to do towards the end of the song? Maybe a really crazy version of the 1st verse that we can slip in in parts around the guitar solos perhaps? I'm thinking this will be more like a vocal solo than singing of the song - or let me know if you have a better idea smile.gif

So, figure out between yourselves the ordering within the verses and let me have your clips - I prefer wav files and I now have an FTP site setup, PM me for details when you have something ready. Also, no effects on the vocal please, not even compression if at all possible!

The backing track I put in the original thread will work fine for the vocals - no need to record them in the correct place, just all record over the first verse.

In addition, I am looking for any additional vocal ideas we can get in here like other harmonies, backing vocal ideas, screams (not growls!) and anything else that you think will contribute smile.gif Luciana, maybe you could improvise something as a backing to one of the solos like you do in some of your lessons?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 11 2008, 10:26 AM
GMC Founder
Awesome Andrew, it's laid out very clear!

Muris - do you have any preferences for which part of verse and chorus 1 you want to sing? (by the way - trading vocal lines with you is going to be waay beyond cool!! laugh.gif laugh.gif )

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Aug 11 2008, 10:42 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 9 2008, 10:04 PM) *
Nemanja - can you perhaps think of something to do towards the end of the song? Maybe a really crazy version of the 1st verse that we can slip in in parts around the guitar solos perhaps? I'm thinking this will be more like a vocal solo than singing of the song - or let me know if you have a better idea smile.gif

No,it is my fault I sign up to late,does not matter Andrew,I'll sing in the next collab smile.gif
Hope you do well.smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 13 2008, 11:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 11 2008, 11:26 AM) *
Awesome Andrew, it's laid out very clear!

Muris - do you have any preferences for which part of verse and chorus 1 you want to sing? (by the way - trading vocal lines with you is going to be waay beyond cool!! laugh.gif laugh.gif )

Here's the idea! biggrin.gif

We all came out to Montreux ---------------- you or me
On the Lake Geneva shoreline ---------------- next one
To make records with a mobile ----------------- etc
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers
Were at the best place around
But some stupid with a flare gun
Burned the place to the ground

Smoke on the water, --------------- you or me
a fire in the sky, ------------- together
smoke on the water -------------- you or me

So it's like sharing lines in between,
all you(or Andrew) have/has to do is to pick who's gonna start verse and chorus,
then it's just pure exchange. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Muris Varajic: Aug 13 2008, 11:03 PM

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 13 2008, 11:35 PM
Great - I'll let you guys work out the details smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 14 2008, 05:11 PM
GMC Founder
Very clever Muris - this is going to be really cool! biggrin.gif

I'd be happy to start the singing - but if you feel strongly for doing it, that's fine with me as well! smile.gif

One thing - should we make sure both of us get one "Smooooke on the water" - or should the same person do both? (Singing together on "a fire in the sky" is a cool idea by the way!)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 14 2008, 07:51 PM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 14 2008, 12:11 PM) *
One thing - should we make sure both of us get one "Smooooke on the water" - or should the same person do both? (Singing together on "a fire in the sky" is a cool idea by the way!)

The plan is to harmonise that part, but yes it would be cool to swap the lead around on that and have you both sing "a fire in the sky" smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2008, 01:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 14 2008, 06:11 PM) *
Very clever Muris - this is going to be really cool! biggrin.gif

I'd be happy to start the singing - but if you feel strongly for doing it, that's fine with me as well! smile.gif

Who ever starts he's gonna do all high parts in verse, yeah,
perhaps we could double length?

We all came out to Montreux ---------------- You
On the Lake Geneva shoreline
To make records with a mobile ----------------- Me
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers---------------You
But some stupid with a flare gun-------------Me

And for chorus,both of us should have one "Smooooke on the water"
but we could also record some harmonizing vocals as Andrew said,
per example if you do first "smoke on the water" I could sing upper 3rd
and you could do the same for me in second part.
A Fire In The Sky would sound nice as doubled. wink.gif

Smoke on the water, --------------- You (I do upper third or whatever)
smoke on the water -------------- Me (You do harmonizing)

Sounds ok? smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 15 2008, 08:45 AM
GMC Founder
Excellent Muris - let's go for this! I hope to get some recording done this weekend.

Also - I am extremely unexperienced at harmonizing with vocals unsure.gif but I will give it my best shot!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maria
Aug 15 2008, 08:56 AM
Administrator
This sounds great Andrew! biggrin.gif

Luciana, do you have any ideas or preferences? If it is ok with you I would love to go for the first part of the verse. A suggestion for the chorus would be for us both to sing the lead to give it extra power wink.gif, and it would be awesome if you would like to add some harmonies as well to the chorus.

Suggestion:

Maria (lead and harmonies)
They burned down the gambling house
It died with an awful sound
Funky claude was running in and out
Pulling kids out the ground

Luciana (lead and harmonies)
When it all was over
We had to find another place
But swiss time was running out
It seemed that we would lose the race

Maria and Luciana (lead) + Luciana for harmonies
Smoke on the water, fire in the sky
Smoke on the water

What do you think? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2008, 04:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Aug 15 2008, 09:45 AM) *
Excellent Muris - let's go for this! I hope to get some recording done this weekend.

Also - I am extremely unexperienced at harmonizing with vocals unsure.gif but I will give it my best shot!

Awesome,gonna be fun!! smile.gif

Andrew,would you like dry takes
or fully processed like compression,reverb etc?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2008, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 15 2008, 11:00 AM) *
Awesome,gonna be fun!! smile.gif

Andrew,would you like dry takes
or fully processed like compression,reverb etc?

Dry please! (Better for mixing)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2008, 04:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 15 2008, 05:11 PM) *
Dry please! (Better for mixing)

You've got it! smile.gif

Maybe just tiny amount of compression during recording,
to avoid peaks etc?

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 15 2008, 04:51 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 15 2008, 11:13 AM) *
You've got it! smile.gif

Maybe just tiny amount of compression during recording,
to avoid peaks etc?

Sure if you need to smile.gif Just keep the ratio as low as possible and that should be fine!

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 15 2008, 09:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 15 2008, 05:51 PM) *
Sure if you need to smile.gif Just keep the ratio as low as possible and that should be fine!

Ok smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 16 2008, 09:32 PM
GMC Founder
We all came out to Montreux ---------------- Kris
On the Lake Geneva shoreline
To make records with a mobile ----------------- Muris
We didn't have much time
Frank Zappa and the Mothers---------------Kris
But some stupid with a flare gun-------------Muris

Smoke on the water, --------------- Kris
smoke on the water -------------- Should be Muris, I filled this spot for the purpose of this mix only.
A fire at GMC ------------------together?

Here we go!
Attached File  kris_smoke_vocals.mp3 ( 2.98MB ) Number of downloads: 316

I added some extra things - feel free to use what you wish Andrew! The "A fire at GMC" line would be kind of cool to keep somewhere in the song though..! biggrin.gif But I will let someone else have the final word.

Oh and harmonizing didn't go very well as expected...so I just added octaves unsure.gif unsure.gif let me know if you think that works...

edit - Maria just informed that I was in fact singing a harmony of the chours!! blink.gif I will record a take of the actual lead of the chorus this week.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 16 2008, 09:47 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Wow what a great take Kris!! smile.gif "A fire at GMC" line is a so cool and highlight of the take , hope it stays in the final mix smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 16 2008, 09:48 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Aug 16 2008, 10:47 PM) *
Wow what a great take Kris!! smile.gif "A fire at GMC" line is a so cool and highlight of the take , hope it stays in the final mix smile.gif

Thanks Bogdan! biggrin.gif Let's see what the others say!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 16 2008, 09:54 PM
Instructor
That was VERY aggressive voice Kris,well done!!! biggrin.gif

"Fire at GMC" sounds awesome tho,
I'll add the same part at the end of chorus before Andrew says anything! laugh.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Aug 16 2008, 09:56 PM
GMC Founder
laugh.gif

Thanks Muris - it's going to be so great to have a recording with both of us trading lines! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th March 2024 - 08:46 AM