Pick Thickness, :O
Murloc
May 25 2009, 08:21 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys

I am a beginner and I am playing with a 2mm thick pick (which is pretty thick, right?). I would like to hear some about what the positive sides is what a thick pick and what thats negative, I wouldnt like to make a bad habit of playing with thick picks if they are no good. ohmy.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 25 2009, 08:27 PM
Learning Tone Master
Personal preferance, nothing more nothing less...

Some like thick ppcks because they don't bend and therefore sound more direct, other like thin picks because you can achieve diffrent sounds from your picking attack. It's the same with pointy or non pointy picks...

Just try out as many as possible and play the one that suits you best there are no advantages or disadvantages

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Red
May 25 2009, 08:28 PM
GMC:er
Everyone likes different picks, if 2 mm works for you then it's nothing to worry about.
But I suppose you could try out a lot of different picks to see which one that suits you the best smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars: Epiphone SG, a really bad Telecaster (First Electric), Acoustic guitar (Unknown brand).

Amplifier: Marshall MG 30DFX.

Soon to come: Schecter Hellraiser C-7 FR

+Quote Post
Startear
May 25 2009, 08:56 PM
I prefer 1 mm picks because they give good sound and they are flexible enough for chords

+Quote Post
bsamn
May 25 2009, 09:23 PM
Hey,

I do not think that a pick contributes to the sound, just a matter of prefrence.

Like wearing boots, some like one kind others like another, but thats not the reason humans are able to walk smile.gif

I hope i was clear and helpful.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Darfuria
May 25 2009, 09:51 PM
I use a 3mm stubby. Always have.

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
May 25 2009, 10:03 PM
Jazz Instructor
Good side is that it's easier to play fast and achieve speed, there are no bad sides, maybe...it cannot be used for some specific-sounding styles, sound is diff from light picks, which are more like...for acoustic guitar and that type of sound.

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
May 25 2009, 10:12 PM
Instructor
I use dumlop turtle 1.5 the white ones.

as many said before, it´s just preference.
in my case, I like a solid pick before a flexible one.
I get more control over every string, and I feel that they are better for fast riffes.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 25 2009, 10:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Vasilije Vukmirovic @ May 25 2009, 11:03 PM) *
for acoustic guitar and that type of sound.

Yeah, acoustic guitar, clean sounds and less overdriven sounds
can point out the difference in sound when using different picks.
However there is no perfect one (at least not for everyone)
so you would have to pick your own choice or choices. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 26 2009, 12:27 AM
Instructor
Different thickness as different pick material produce different sounds. My advice - buy as many different picks on the store and try them all. Changing the pick is the cheapest and fastest way to change your tone.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kjutte
May 26 2009, 02:02 AM
I use 2mm too. Thicker pick means you need looser wrist when doing chords though.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
May 26 2009, 05:08 AM
It depends only in what's more confortable to you. I met a guy that he used bass picks because he said they just suits better and felt more confortable with it. Just a matter of taste

+Quote Post
maharzan
May 26 2009, 06:34 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I used to use 0.85mm and 1mm thick picks before. (I only had acoustic guitars before so used those picks for electric as well). I tried all sorts of picks and recently, I felt comfortable with small size picks rather than big ones. Just few days ago, I tried a Jazz pick, pretty thick and small. Interestingly, I felt it was more comfortable as it doesn't bend. Then, when I was trying to build my speed, I got another pick that had a pointed (almost) tip. I felt it was easier to achieve the speed with that pick and it doesn't get 'stuck' in between the strings.

Its all about whats comfortable to you. You have to use it and see for itself. Just like any guitars, amps, effects and (girls).. haha. smile.gif Its all about taste!

This post has been edited by maharzan: May 26 2009, 06:35 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 26 2009, 11:48 AM
Instructor
I use right now 1.14mm FIRE STONE pick, its great and highly recommend it, especially if you are playing with distortion and want that treble sound and easy pinched harmonics smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 27 2009, 11:05 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (kjutte @ May 26 2009, 03:02 AM) *
I use 2mm too. Thicker pick means you need looser wrist when doing chords though.

It will also make chord tone sharp and louder.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 27 2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
There is absolutely nothing wrong with playing a 2mm pick, actually there is no wrong pick, whatever feels fine for you is fine. But you should be aware of the fact that a pick can have a serious influence on your sound, so maybe you should try differend picks, and I am not only talking about the thickness, also try different shapes or materials. Like this you can get an impression on how a pick can help to get "your" sound, and of course you will also see that certain picks might be easier to handle for you than others. Just play around a bit and when you feel you found the right pick for yourself then use it, no matter if the rest of the world might prefer a different model.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
leedbreak
May 27 2009, 03:58 PM
I recently found me a new favorite pick. It is 1.5 and in similar to the jazz picks being kinda pointed but small.

It says cool on one side and heavy on the other. It also has the rough pads so they don't slip.

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 27 2009, 04:26 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm for my bass playing I use 1-2mm picks smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
May 27 2009, 04:26 PM
I use two different picks. Most of the time I use a 1.5mm gator grip, but I also have thin Joe Satriani sig picks, I don't really know how thick they are, but they are thinner.

If I use the 1.5 mm pick to strumm chords, I feel that I get too much attack and if I strumm more lightly, I drop the pick way too often. That's where the thinner picks enter the picture -> easier to strum chords and a better sound while doing it, atleast for me.

But in general I agree with the others, it's personal preference, I just wanted to tell this point that has affected my choices. smile.gif

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:10 AM