Battle Of The Bands
Enucleation
Apr 3 2009, 03:26 AM
GMC:er
My band was just accepted into a battle of the bands for a thing (that's actually right next to my house) called BamaJam. Its pretty much country and alt rock. Was kinda cool last year I got to see ZZ Top and Gov't Mule for free but they were the only good bands there.

But anywho it was the first 40 or so bands to sign up and we were in that list I guess. So our second show is gonna be battle.

I noticed last show that I didn't have a really problem with stage fright, and people said I had good stage presence so on that I'm okay. I was more nervous during soundcheck XD

We have a 20 minute spot and our songs are pretty long, 5-8 minutes so we will probably play 2-3 songs

Really I'm just asking if anyone has any tips for a show like this. Things I assume, are going to be a lot different and I just hope that I don't get disheartened after seeing other bands play because we will be the only metal band playing among pop/emo and rock bands

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jesse
Apr 3 2009, 06:21 AM
I've got a crazy idea. Strap a bottle or anything to your headstock? Then after the song, you put some kind fireworks rocket in there and shoot it off. Sure is spectacular.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
Enucleation
Apr 3 2009, 06:29 AM
HA! That would be awesome!

This post has been edited by Enucleation: Apr 3 2009, 06:29 AM

--------------------
Gear
::Guitars::
ESP LTD AX-50 (Temporarily 'out of service')
ESP LTD KH-202
Jackson King V
Ibanez Xiphos (Main)
::Amp::
Line 6 Spider Valve
::Misc::
Pod Studio UX2/Pod Farm
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Ernie Ball Strings (11-48 for Standard D) (9-42 for Standard)
Any pick that works for me
::Wanted::
B.C. Rich Stealth
Xiphos 7 String
Too much....

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Apr 3 2009, 08:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
Don't do any fancy stuff, that will only make you look like your trying too hard!

Crush them with an absolutely flawless performance! Nothing earns more respect and votes in a contest than a tight band that feels natural on stage. Rehearse your fingers off with your band until you can play your 20min programm in your sleep, try to move a little on stage (don't overdo it with stage moves but a little headbaning or posing looks better than just standing there and looking a your fretboard...) Also a sympathic frontman who can make the crowd going is a big plus in a contest!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Koopid
Apr 3 2009, 09:32 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 3 2009, 09:02 AM) *
.....Crush them with an absolutely flawless performance! Nothing earns more respect and votes in a contest than a tight band that feels natural on stage. Rehearse your fingers off with your band until you can play your 20min programm in your sleep ....

+1

I am doing a battle of the band competition with my band now too. I have no idea how its going since public votes are a big factor (read: most friends equal most votes) and we wont get the results until next week. But I know some of the jury members and they say that a good tight performance weighs more than fancy stagemoves.

I noticed that I move more and more every performance without thinking about it (watching the videos after). I think it is because I feel more and more natural on stage, and that I know the songs better and better and don't have to concentrate so much on the actual playing smile.gif

So, rehearse a LOT and don't do anything that doesnt feel natural to you is a good concept I think smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
superize
Apr 3 2009, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
All i can say is have fun and good luck with the show

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Paiva
Apr 3 2009, 11:26 AM
Burn your guitar Hendrix style tongue.gif

Of course the other ideas above MAY be better

--------------------
GEAR:

Guitars:
PRS SE Custom
Epiphone SG Special
Antonio Pinto de Carvalho Classical Guitar
Fender 12 strings
[/color]

Amp:
Epiphone Studio 10s combo
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe!!!!!!!!!!

Pedals:
Kork AX5G
Boss RC-2

2nd song :) Please go check it and post something ;) (again link below)

+Quote Post
sted
Apr 3 2009, 11:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah good luck man, cant offer advice as i dont play gigs but i think theyll be looking for talent rather than gimmicks, try and post some vids, would love to see them if possible!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Apr 3 2009, 07:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Apr 3 2009, 09:02 AM) *
Don't do any fancy stuff, that will only make you look like your trying too hard!

Crush them with an absolutely flawless performance! Nothing earns more respect and votes in a contest than a tight band that feels natural on stage. Rehearse your fingers off with your band until you can play your 20min programm in your sleep, try to move a little on stage (don't overdo it with stage moves but a little headbaning or posing looks better than just standing there and looking a your fretboard...) Also a sympathic frontman who can make the crowd going is a big plus in a contest!

I wouldn't agree there entirely, I think stage performance is an important part of competitions. The best bands all have great stage presence, and they move around a lot, seem relaxed, smile, and make contact with an audience. So this is what I would recommend. Doing some fancy/crazy stuff here and there is pretty cool if you ask me - I think the audience would appreciate that. I don't think there's nothing wrong when the audience thinks you were trying hard - it's the competition in the end, and you have to try hard! I think it will only make the band deserve the respect of the audience, cause they will realize that that the band was "trying for them".
All other things have to be perfect as well, well rehearsed, and balanced show, good set list, and even band position can sometimes mean a lot when doing these shows.

Good luck Enucleation! smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:42 PM