Les Paul Studio Vs. Esp Eclipse Ll, Which is the better buy?
Justinboy
Dec 20 2008, 02:27 AM
GMC:er
Hi Everyone,

I like the sound of the Les Paul Studio but have been hearing awesome things about the ESP Eclipse ll. It's lighter, much more versatile, and better sounding. The Studio is much more cost effective, about half the price on EBAY and several hundred dollars less in the major music stores. I am not concerned so much about price as I am with tone, quality, weight, etc. I like buying quality gear and expect to have either guitar for a long time. Does anyone have any comparison opinions on these guitars? Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 18)
Matich
Dec 20 2008, 02:58 AM
In my opinion, if u have the cash, you should go for the ESP definitely..Gibson is overrated these days..and that studio model..nothing special. i like the Les Pauls, just not that one. And Gibsons prices are really ridiculously priced. ESPs are pricey too, but you get so much more. (again, in my honest opinion). And if you want to cut down on the price, go for the LTD Ec1000s...those are good, too. Really, the same thing as an esp, just an LTD. Couple of hundreds dollars less for 3 different letters. Hope i helped.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Fullmetal_Tmd
Dec 20 2008, 03:30 AM
Definitely go for the ESP. The Les Paul Studio isn't the best Gibson on the market imo , but with the ESP, you'll be getting the company's highest quality. You'll be happier that way smile.gif

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Dec 20 2008, 04:49 AM
Instructor
I would have gone for the ESP Eclipse. I've played on audiopaal's eclipse quite alot, and i wouldnt mind getting one myself smile.gif

But i still recommend trying out both before you make your decision.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
SensE
Dec 20 2008, 05:25 AM
ESP all the way ! I think the reason mentioned above is obvious.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Dec 20 2008, 11:53 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The black eclipse loookss.... Awesome! I think better than LP wink.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Dec 20 2008, 12:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
As Long as it's a real ESP and not a LTD Eclipse you are better of with the eclipse... Gibson guitars are great but keep in mind that the studio is the lower end Gibson Les Paul while the Eclipse a high end Esp. The esp is heavier (which gives you a deeper/warmer sound) it is crafted better and it has the better hardware/woods. It should have a remarkably better tone than a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
If you want it to sound versitaile, then buy the Eclipse with Seymour Duncan Sh-4/sh-1 equipped and not the version with emg pickups.

In general you could say:

Gibson Les Pauls Studio < Esp Eclipse
Gibson Les Paul Standard > Esp Eclipse
Gibson Les Paul Custom > Any other guitar (imho)

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 20 2008, 12:54 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Tough choice, both great guitars..

I'd probably go for the Eclipse, as I like that better than a regular Les Paul Studio smile.gif

My Les Paul Studio is kind of a special model, which are much better than your standard Studio, so I like that one as good as my Eclipse II..

Depends a bit on what style of music you play as well and what sound you want smile.gif

+Quote Post
Justinboy
Dec 20 2008, 09:30 PM
Thanks Guys,

I'm in New York and its amazing that overnight you can get quality responses on a particular topic from people you never met all over the world. I want to thank all of you that responded. Eclipse II is the choice. I'll send a photo and price as soon as I zero in on one I like. I have a Martin Acoustic and LOVE playing the blues. I can't wait to hear the sounds I get from this new guitar!

My best to all of you ~

+Quote Post
jer
Dec 20 2008, 10:15 PM
I'd give vital parts of my anatony for an Eclipse.

--------------------
My Gear

Jackson SL-1 USA Soloist
Jackson DK2M
ESP LTD MH-400
ESP LTD EC-1000
Ibanez Custom S-Series
Martin 001 Acoustic

Handmade Marshall JCM800 50watt head (with mods)
Carvin 50x2 Stereo Tube Amp
Boss GT-10 Preamp/Effects Processor
Digitech GSP-1101 Preamp/Effects Processor
Behringer FCB1010 Midi Controlled Floorboard
Behringer Dualfex EX2200
Behinger Stereo EQ
Line 6 POD with 2.3 upgrade
Line 6 Floor Board
Line 6 Spider III Practice Amp
Nady UHF Wireless

"Who will eat the decay, when the worms have lost their sight?"

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Dec 20 2008, 10:36 PM
Go for the Eclipse

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 20 2008, 11:11 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Dec 20 2008, 06:05 AM) *
As Long as it's a real ESP and not a LTD Eclipse you are better of with the eclipse... Gibson guitars are great but keep in mind that the studio is the lower end Gibson Les Paul while the Eclipse a high end Esp. The esp is heavier (which gives you a deeper/warmer sound) it is crafted better and it has the better hardware/woods. It should have a remarkably better tone than a Gibson Les Paul Studio.
If you want it to sound versitaile, then buy the Eclipse with Seymour Duncan Sh-4/sh-1 equipped and not the version with emg pickups.

In general you could say:

Gibson Les Pauls Studio < Esp Eclipse
Gibson Les Paul Standard > Esp Eclipse
Gibson Les Paul Custom > Any other guitar (imho)

I don't agree that the Custom beats the Reissues. I have an R8 and also two Studios. Also Studios are fine.

I would take a look at the new Standards. They have the long tenon like the reissues (that does give better sustain), and some other features, including a Plek'ed neck. Anyone who does not think Plek'ing is huge, has not played a Plek'ed neck (my R8 is Plek'ed, and it is a big deal). I don't have a problem with the chambered body, I will take that over weight relief holes as they did in the past. The Reissues have neither, they have solid bodies with no weight relief, using selected light mahogany. But I would really like one of the new Standards.

Actually I think the new Standards are a good deal. I would have expected a much higher price with those new features. Those the the features that in the past were reserved for the custom shop.

QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 20 2008, 06:54 AM) *
Tough choice, both great guitars..

I'd probably go for the Eclipse, as I like that better than a regular Les Paul Studio smile.gif

My Les Paul Studio is kind of a special model, which are much better than your standard Studio, so I like that one as good as my Eclipse II..

Depends a bit on what style of music you play as well and what sound you want smile.gif

Do you have a Premium? I have one of those, the top is really pretty. I like it. I got it used. I took the pickups off once, and noticed that the Maple top was quite thick. It was one of the early ones. I don't know if they make the Maple tops as thick on your basic studio. People often say they are lighter, which would indicate not. My old Premium Studio is pretty heavy, as heavy as my R8, 9.5 lbs.

I also have a Mahogany, that I got a good deal on ($600). It has an unusual sound, and Burstbuckers, so it was a good buy, I like it.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Dec 20 2008, 11:16 PM

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 20 2008, 11:51 PM
I'm biased but go with the Gibson. Just make sure you play it first. Gibson's are what they are for a reason. Look at the players using them.

I really know nothing about the ESP but I love Gibson studio's. I'm always hearing that they are the low end of the Gibson Les Paul line. Perhaps in theory, however, studio's are simply tone machines. Gibson's hold there value or increase for a reason. Just my 2 cents. But what do I know.

Rock and Roll = Les Paul's + Marshall's. Period. rolleyes.gif

tommyboy

PS. You said you like the sound of a Les Paul Studio but have heard good things about the ESP. Sounds like you need to play them side by side through the same amp. May I suggest a Marshall Stack!!! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by tommyboy: Dec 20 2008, 11:54 PM

--------------------
Rock Hard or Not at ALL!!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 20 2008, 11:57 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 20 2008, 11:11 PM) *
Do you have a Premium? I have one of those, the top is really pretty. I like it. I got it used. I took the pickups off once, and noticed that the Maple top was quite thick. It was one of the early ones. I don't know if they make the Maple tops as thick on your basic studio. People often say they are lighter, which would indicate not. My old Premium Studio is pretty heavy, as heavy as my R8, 9.5 lbs.

I also have a Mahogany, that I got a good deal on ($600). It has an unusual sound, and Burstbuckers, so it was a good buy, I like it.

No, it's not a Premium (although it's very similar..)

It's a Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite Special (or Limited) Edition, with black hardware, ebony fretboard and a thick maple (very nice) top as well as great tuners smile.gif
Plays better than my ESP and most of the guitars I've tried over the years.
Me and a friend compared it to his Les Paul Custom, and he liked mine way better because of the playability and feel of the neck. It also sounded better, but that's probably because of the Bareknuckle pickups I've installed smile.gif
It's also very light, but not due to chambering.
They chambered the guitar and added lighter wood instead. So it's more of a lighter solid body, if you know what I mean!? smile.gif

Awesome guitar, the shop that installed the new pickups wanted to buy it from me for quite a bit more than I payed for it laugh.gif Had to say no though..

I want a Premium as well, they look awesome too smile.gif

How is the sound in the mahogany unusual? Darker, fuller?

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 21 2008, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 20 2008, 04:57 PM) *
No, it's not a Premium (although it's very similar..)

It's a Gibson Les Paul Studio Lite Special (or Limited) Edition, with black hardware, ebony fretboard and a thick maple (very nice) top as well as great tuners smile.gif
Plays better than my ESP and most of the guitars I've tried over the years.
Me and a friend compared it to his Les Paul Custom, and he liked mine way better because of the playability and feel of the neck. It also sounded better, but that's probably because of the Bareknuckle pickups I've installed smile.gif
It's also very light, but not due to chambering.
They chambered the guitar and added lighter wood instead. So it's more of a lighter solid body, if you know what I mean!? smile.gif

Awesome guitar, the shop that installed the new pickups wanted to buy it from me for quite a bit more than I payed for it laugh.gif Had to say no though..

I want a Premium as well, they look awesome too smile.gif

I've got the same guitar but with the original pickups. However, what you said is dead on the money. I will never sell mine as it's almost the perfect tone machine!

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Dec 21 2008, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 20 2008, 05:57 PM) *

I would describe it as maybe more midrange, less full less dark really. A clear sound, but still it has the humbucker type sound so it is not thin. And it still gets good sustain. Clear, but not thin. Some have described it as "woody". I think you can hear the acoustic sound of the wood. It gets pinch harmonics quite well. A neat guitar, and if you look around, you can often get a good price on them. The pickups and the case are great, so just a different les paul sound if you can find a good buy on one, worth having for a change of pace.

Your Les Paul sounds like a nice one. I had not heard of that model.

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Dec 21 2008, 01:22 PM
QUOTE (tommyboy @ Dec 21 2008, 12:05 AM) *
I've got the same guitar but with the original pickups. However, what you said is dead on the money. I will never sell mine as it's almost the perfect tone machine!

tommyboy

Yeah, it's an awesome guitar smile.gif
What color do you have then?
Mine is see-trough red, very nice color smile.gif

I'll never sell mine either!

QUOTE (fkalich @ Dec 21 2008, 12:16 AM) *

I would describe it as maybe more midrange, less full less dark really. A clear sound, but still it has the humbucker type sound so it is not thin. And it still gets good sustain. Clear, but not thin. Some have described it as "woody". I think you can hear the acoustic sound of the wood. It gets pinch harmonics quite well. A neat guitar, and if you look around, you can often get a good price on them. The pickups and the case are great, so just a different les paul sound if you can find a good buy on one, worth having for a change of pace.

Your Les Paul sounds like a nice one. I had not heard of that model.

Sounds awesome, I want a les paul with a less dark and more clear sound biggrin.gif
I'll look into that one!

Thanks mate! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Dec 21 2008, 04:24 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
Both are cool guitars, you should play both of them to see which model you prefer in the end. And about some of the comments that were made here, sorry, I disagree, there is no such thing as the ultimate guitar that is better than any other one. It is all a matter of taste, my main one is a Les Paul Custom, for me this is the ultimate guitar, but it doesn't mean that anybody else has to like it as much. Try both models and find out what you like best, and then get that guitar wink.gif
And another thing about Studio Les Pauls in general. Yes, they are the "low end" of the production line, but not concerning quality. There is no binding, the looks are not the same compared to a Custom, the maple top is not AAA as in a Standard Premium Plus, but they are still killer guitars, don't underestimate them.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
tommyboy
Dec 21 2008, 06:23 PM
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Dec 21 2008, 06:22 AM) *
Yeah, it's an awesome guitar smile.gif
What color do you have then?
Mine is see-trough red, very nice color smile.gif

I'll never sell mine either!

It's a clear warm gray on the top. In some light it almost looks a light brown. I've never seen another Gibson with this finish. I don't even know what it's called. When I first saw it I thought looked like any regular studio but photographed in Black and White. Does that make sense. Very unique and the ebony fret board is a perfect complement to the guitar. But first and foremost the weight difference from my old Les Paul Standard made a huge difference when playing standing for several hours. It plays better than my standard so maybe I just got a gem. I traded my standard for it and have never regretted it.

QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ Dec 21 2008, 09:24 AM) *
Both are cool guitars, you should play both of them to see which model you prefer in the end. And about some of the comments that were made here, sorry, I disagree, there is no such thing as the ultimate guitar that is better than any other one. It is all a matter of taste, my main one is a Les Paul Custom, for me this is the ultimate guitar, but it doesn't mean that anybody else has to like it as much. Try both models and find out what you like best, and then get that guitar wink.gif
And another thing about Studio Les Pauls in general. Yes, they are the "low end" of the production line, but not concerning quality. There is no binding, the looks are not the same compared to a Custom, the maple top is not AAA as in a Standard Premium Plus, but they are still killer guitars, don't underestimate them.

Do you play your custom live? Does the weight ever become a issue? Just curious.

tommyboy

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:41 PM