2 Pages V  < 1 2  
How Long Until I Can Play Like You ?
PosterBoy
Jan 24 2015, 11:11 AM
Learning Roadie
Natural talent runs out at a certain point, and then that person has to learn how to practice and learn properly like everyone else, that can be a bigger stumbling block than someone who had to do all from the start without natural talent.

Case in point me.

I started learning guitar age 9, I loved to sing and so I learnt chords and songs, strumming and fingerpicking and basic ear training really quickly, it didn't feel like practice, I was just wanting to play the songs I liked, most of that was a kind of natural talent or at least a natural learning environment. I was also playing in front of people from the age of 12 at church, so no performance anxiety either

This saw me through most of my teens and also got me an A in music in my Secondary school GCSEs.

I left school and I remember over hearing one of the music teachers saying to someone, 'Matt could be a really good musician if he tried' I, of course being 16 and knowing everything was offended by that.

It's only when I came across the guitarists like Paul Gilbert and such like that I realised I couldn't solo.
I'd never wanted to before, guitar was just to accompany myself, but I also found I didn't know how to practice hard and intelligently, If I struggled with something I just went back to doing what I could play effortlessly.

I'm 41 now and it's still something I struggle with even though I have much more of an understanding what it takes and what real practice is.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 07:08 PM