Need Some Instructor Advice Please..., Hand Position
JD_
Jul 27 2011, 01:23 PM
Learning Roadie
cool.gif Hello GMC'ers,
I am starting to move through Alternate Picking (AP) and I am able to manage 180bpm.
What i wanted guidane with is my hand position when I move to the 'e' and 'b' strings.

This first photo is of my normal comfortable hand position......while fretting the 12th fret

The second photo is a hand position that i have seen some instructors use around here.

What i basically want to know is, what position should i use and develop? My own natural position or the position from the 2nd photo?? Or a compromise of the two.
I dont want to have to go back re-learn anything later on....

Thanks in advance for your help biggrin.gif

I should add that I am currently working on Kris' Lesson

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/speed-alt...e-picking/#last

And he has a similar hand position to me....

But I have seen Cosmin do lesson's where his hand is in a different position....

Cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Jul 27 2011, 01:19 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image Attached Image

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jul 27 2011, 01:35 PM
Instructor
I would always encourage people to develop what feels natural to them. Work with your body, not against it.

However the 2nd hand position is useful for when you are doing large stretches (especially lower down the neck where the frets are further apart). If I'm doing a lot of 3 note per string legato then I usually bring my thumb behind the neck and use a more classical style hand position (parallel to the neck, not angled)

The rest of the time I do pretty much everything with my thumb over the neck smile.gif

Get to know them both, there may be times where you need the extra stretching distance and that is what the 2nd position is useful for smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 27 2011, 01:46 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jul 27 2011, 12:35 PM) *
I would always encourage people to develop what feels natural to them. Work with your body, not against it.

However the 2nd hand position is useful for when you are doing large stretches (especially lower down the neck where the frets are further apart). If I'm doing a lot of 3 note per string legato then I usually bring my thumb behind the neck and use a more classical style hand position (parallel to the neck, not angled)

The rest of the time I do pretty much everything with my thumb over the neck smile.gif

Get to know them both, there may be times where you need the extra stretching distance and that is what the 2nd position is useful for smile.gif

Ok no worries mate, Thanks!

I will keep that in mind and work on developing both, as you said. I just wanted to clarify this as I didn't want to develop a technique that would hold me back later on as I advance.

Cheers wink.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 27 2011, 02:52 PM
Instructor
When playing guitar you will rarely have the oportunity to always keep only one position, thumb is always moving above or behind the fretboard. The point is - don't anchor it. If you need to do large stretches, move it behind the neck, if you are doing some bends, or need to mute the low E string with the thumb,push it up etc..

So like Ben said, there are no rules, just practice in a way that feels most comfortable for you. Don't worry, it won't be bad, just try to put the hand in the most comfortable position, and things will develop in the best way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 27 2011, 02:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 27 2011, 01:52 PM) *
So like Ben said, there are no rules, just practice in a way that feels most comfortable for you. Don't worry, it won't be bad, just try to put the hand in the most comfortable position, and things will develop in the best way.

Awesome, Thanks, for clarifying that.

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2011, 03:50 PM
Instructor
I agree with Ben about this. I use both depending on what I'm playing and I could change the position during the same solo. The first one is best for phrasing, bending and vibrato, the second one is better for stretches. So I suggest that you can use the one that you feel more comfortable for every thing that you play.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 27 2011, 03:57 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 27 2011, 02:50 PM) *
I agree with Ben about this. I use both depending on what I'm playing and I could change the position during the same solo. The first one is best for phrasing, bending and vibrato, the second one is better for stretches. So I suggest that you can use the one that you feel more comfortable for every thing that you play.

Thanks alot! I feel the same, thumb over the neck is what i use for most of what i do (or try to do) and second position is needed fo legato/stretches.

Thanks for clearing this all up for me rolleyes.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 27 2011, 03:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 27 2011, 11:57 AM) *
Thanks alot! I feel the same, thumb over the neck is what i use for most of what i do (or try to do) and second position is needed fo legato/stretches.

Thanks for clearing this all up for me rolleyes.gif

No problem man! We are here to help you! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 27 2011, 05:00 PM
Instructor

Look at this guy's unorthodox technique. I think Ben's right. Don't worry too much if it's the "correct" way to hold the guitar because different masters at it have different ways. Just make sure you feel really comfortable

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 27 2011, 07:38 PM
GMC:er
Not an instructor - but I would suggest try angle the guitar neck up a bit more and rotate your hand around to the front more.

Whatever you do, try not to grip it!

You want to practice playing just on your fingertips, this can be hard at first but make it a habit as it will help out a lot.

The thumb is just there, don't rely on it for support stick it upwards or place in the middle of the neck (depending on what your playing) but don't let it move around much on it's own up or down (focus on just those two positions). Don't apply pressure with the fretboard thumb (I use to force the guitar forward with it, found out this is quite a slowdown), try just sit it in the back (remove it completely for a while and play through the wierd feeling if it's a bad habit), also practice applying minimum pressure to the fingers.

At speed or after a while playing you might notice it going back to it's original position (correct it before it happens but stay relaxed and comformable). It takes a while to retrain the hands and it should become natural. Stop playing if it hurts, your doing something wrong in that case. Most important to stay comformable and relaxed.

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 27 2011, 07:40 PM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2011, 11:11 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Well, as the guys said, you should try and work starting from what is more natural to you, and observe how your body feels more comfortable with some positions in respect to what you want to achieve smile.gif

What position did you observe in my playing? smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 28 2011, 01:08 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 27 2011, 10:11 PM) *
Hey mate! Well, as the guys said, you should try and work starting from what is more natural to you, and observe how your body feels more comfortable with some positions in respect to what you want to achieve smile.gif

What position did you observe in my playing? smile.gif

Hey there Cosmin, how ya going mate? I have looked through all of your lessons, as I do, and Gabriel summed it up for me I now see. I the Modern Metal solo you have a mixture of both hand positions, you change to thumb behind neck for a high string runs, as in your common notes lesson. Your right in saying develop natural position, and as Ben said other positions will need to be developed for stretching/legato or other needs. Thanks for your reply. As u can understand, I didn't want to move forward and then have to come back and re-learn bad habits.

Thanks mate

QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jul 27 2011, 06:38 PM) *
Not an instructor - but I would suggest try angle the guitar neck up a bit more and rotate your hand around to the front more.

Hey mate, that's not my usual position, it was taken in the photo to illustrate the different hand positions.
Thanks for ur response, Cheers smile.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 28 2011, 08:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 28 2011, 12:08 AM) *
Hey there Cosmin, how ya going mate? I have looked through all of your lessons, as I do, and Gabriel summed it up for me I now see. I the Modern Metal solo you have a mixture of both hand positions, you change to thumb behind neck for a high string runs, as in your common notes lesson. Your right in saying develop natural position, and as Ben said other positions will need to be developed for stretching/legato or other needs. Thanks for your reply. As u can understand, I didn't want to move forward and then have to come back and re-learn bad habits.

Thanks mate

Hey mate, that's not my usual position, it was taken in the photo to illustrate the different hand positions.
Thanks for ur response, Cheers smile.gif

You did very well to ask smile.gif I wish I could've had the opportunity of asking someone when I was bumping into these things for the first time. The truth is that I never gave these things any conscious thought - i just went along and they came natural to me over the years. But I played a lot, so I guess my body had the time to adapt itself to whatever silly things I pushed it towards tongue.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 29 2011, 04:03 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 28 2011, 07:08 AM) *
You did very well to ask smile.gif I wish I could've had the opportunity of asking someone when I was bumping into these things for the first time. The truth is that I never gave these things any conscious thought - i just went along and they came natural to me over the years. But I played a lot, so I guess my body had the time to adapt itself to whatever silly things I pushed it towards tongue.gif

Cheers mate I appreciate the help from you and all the other instructors....Some great advice has been given.

BTW...What Drop tunings do you use? And what string guage do u use for them? cool.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 29 2011, 07:59 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Jul 29 2011, 03:03 AM) *
Cheers mate I appreciate the help from you and all the other instructors....Some great advice has been given.

BTW...What Drop tunings do you use? And what string guage do u use for them? cool.gif

Howdy mate!! For some songs I usually use drop C (Elixir Custom set 0.11 - 0.54) and for others where I play with my baritone guitar I use drop A (Elixir 0.13 - 0.68)

I got my two main band guitars tuned like that and the PRS Custom 24 tuned to drop D (Elixir 0.10 - 0.46), so I can play standard tuned stuff and have that extra low string for a bit of heavy bottom if I need it smile.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Jul 29 2011, 08:00 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 29 2011, 06:59 AM) *
Howdy mate!! For some songs I usually use drop C (Elixir Custom set 0.11 - 0.54) and for others where I play with my baritone guitar I use drop A (Elixir 0.13 - 0.68)

I got my two main band guitars tuned like that and the PRS Custom 24 tuned to drop D (Elixir 0.10 - 0.46), so I can play standard tuned stuff and have that extra low string for a bit of heavy bottom if I need it smile.gif

Awesome mate....cheers

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:47 AM