2 Pages V  < 1 2  
String Gauge Advice For B Tuning
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 27 2012, 10:51 PM
Instructor
My Goodness...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 28 2012, 04:13 AM
GMC:er
How do thicker strings fit into the nut though ? like on my guitar the company said it was made for 10-46 gauge. And when I first bought it I put 11-52 on it. I found that they didn't fit into the nut very well and I dont think i could put thicker strings on if I wanted to.

That being said my favorite band is alter bridge and I know that they use a lot of different tunings.I know for certain because I have heard him say He likes to tune to what he calls open D, open B. So I want to get into some drop tuning but I am not sure if my guitar could even take a 60 gauge low E .

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Never miss an opportunity to play

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jun 28 2012, 04:56 AM
Learning Roadie
The thickest my Jackson SLSMG takes is a 68.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jun 28 2012, 08:53 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
You can buy a nut to fit thicker strings or simply shave off a little of the existing one until it fits, Be careful cause if it cracks your in bad shape!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jun 29 2012, 07:55 PM
Well If you are tuning lower than C all the time what about a baritone guitar ? I know PRS makes a Mike Mushok SE baritone for $670 new so if someone was to look hard enough you might be able to find a used one for $300 or so .

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 30 2012, 08:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (JesseJ @ Jun 29 2012, 06:55 PM) *
Well If you are tuning lower than C all the time what about a baritone guitar ? I know PRS makes a Mike Mushok SE baritone for $670 new so if someone was to look hard enough you might be able to find a used one for $300 or so .

That axe is awesome! biggrin.gif I did a review on it - so check it out if you'd like:

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 30 2012, 09:08 AM
Instructor
Yeah, if a baritone guitar is good enough for my main man, C-Maestro, then it's gotta be good wink.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 30 2012, 09:55 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 24 2012, 03:55 PM) *
Hey Dudes, I wrote a riff that require that I tune down to B standard if I want to get the full effect. What sort of gauge of strings should I be looking at ?

Bearing in mind, I'd still like to be able to play lead with it too. In standard tuning I use light strings, 9 - 42 so what would be the equivalent set to suit me for tuning to B standard ?

Cheers ! biggrin.gif

I think you will be better off with 7 string guitar or baritone! You still can get away with using 9-42 but might feel weird!

+Quote Post
JesseJ
Jul 13 2012, 04:28 PM
So I guess if I want to detune to C, or B I would need to take my guitar into a music store and get them to either put a new nut in or make the slots in the current one wider ?

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:38 AM