Jazz Blues Progression
Velvet Roger
May 17 2009, 02:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Jazz Blues Progression

Introduction

Hey guys, this is my 3rd S.I. video lesson. My name is Roger, am 33 years old and living in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I've been playing the guitar seriously for almost 2 years now (with also some less serious playing back when I was 16-17). Besides playing the guitar, I have always been involved in playing music (piano, keyboards, drums), which certainly is helpful for rhythmic feeling etc. About 5 months ago I started my own band together with two other persons, which gives a nice boost in my playing abilities as well.

I hope you will like my 3rd S.I. video lesson.

Structure

1. About the lesson
2. Introduction
3. The lesson
4. How to implement the lesson
5. Last words

1. About the lesson

This lesson is primarily aimed towards those who would like to gain knowledge on the following aspects:

- Advanced chords & use of tensions
- Blues progressions

2. Introduction

Today, we are going to explore a Jazz Blues progression, which is somewhat different compared to the standard I – IV – V 12 bar blues progression you all probably know.

I have chosen to play it for this lesson in the key of A (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G#, A) using some more advanced chords with tensions in order to make it more jazzy and have more variations in it.

The progression looks like this (in brackets the number of measures are shown):

I (1) - IV (1) - I (2) - IV (2) - I (1) - VI (1) - II (1) - V (1) - I (1/2) - VI (1/2) - II (1/2) - V (1/2) - I (2)

3. The lesson

Video 1: complete progression with backing
I am using fingerpicking for this lesson, in a constant straightforward pattern together with the neck pickup to make the sound more smooth. Try to be as relaxed as possible to increase the smoothness even further.

In this last part of the progression no new chords are used.

Instead of playing the I - VI - II - V part each 1 measure, you should now only play the chords for 1/2 measure each, which is the turnaround. The progression ends with the I degree again (I played here only 1 bar, but normally it's 2 bars duration before repeating the complete progression).

4. How to implement this lesson

The most important about the progression above is the use of advanced chords in your playing and hopefully a couple of the chords are new to you, so your chord vocabulary is enlarged. Also, this progression is quite common as a jazz blues progression, so it can't hurt to remember that as well.

Try to variate with other slight variations of chords using the backing provided, and use different playing patterns (using arpeggiated shapes, strumming, pick use, etc etc.).

I have provided the Guitar Pro file as attachment as well as 3 backings (80, 100 and 120 bpm).

Finally, it's good to transpose this lesson into other keys as it will definitely improves your playing a lot!

5. Last words

I hope you liked my lesson, and any comments, points for correction and/or suggestions for improvement are more than welcome! I would also be more than happy to explain in more detail any of the aspects covered above of course smile.gif .

Roger

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: Nov 28 2009, 10:23 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Jazz_Blues_Progression.gp5 ( 4.84K ) Number of downloads: 326
Attached File  Backing_80_bpm.mp3 ( 1.63MB ) Number of downloads: 423
Attached File  Backing_100_bpm.mp3 ( 1.3MB ) Number of downloads: 338
Attached File  Backing_120_bpm.mp3 ( 1.08MB ) Number of downloads: 350

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Emir Hot
May 17 2009, 07:34 PM
Instructor
Awesome man. Very nicely structured with great explaination. Well done

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 17 2009, 07:35 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very cool lesson, well done Roger! Only one little correction: you named the chord "C# E G B" an A9 chord. It´s actually a C#m7(b5) chord. wink.gif The same goes for D7 9- which is a Dm7(cool.gif chord.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 17 2009, 07:37 PM
Instructor
Sounds great Roger. 12 bar Jazz blues with turnaround at the end. I like how you used tensions in your chords.
Nice lesson man !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 17 2009, 08:41 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ May 17 2009, 08:34 PM) *
Awesome man. Very nicely structured with great explaination. Well done

Thanks, tried to do my best smile.gif

QUOTE (Tolek @ May 17 2009, 08:35 PM) *
Very cool lesson, well done Roger! Only one little correction: you named the chord "C# E G B" an A9 chord. It´s actually a C#m7(b5) chord. wink.gif The same goes for D7 9- which is a Dm7( cool.gif chord.

Thanks Tolek,

Of course that chord can also be seen as a C#m7(b5), however in this progression it is meant as an A9 chord without the root note A (as that is played by the bass).

Regarding the D7 9- chord: it contains the notes: F# A C Eb, which is not a Dm7 chord as it contains the major third (F#) but a regular D7 with an added b9 in it. Again here the root is omitted and played by the bass.

QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 17 2009, 08:37 PM) *
Sounds great Roger. 12 bar Jazz blues with turnaround at the end. I like how you used tensions in your chords.
Nice lesson man !

Cheers, means a lot from our Jazz master smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: May 17 2009, 09:22 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Tolek
May 17 2009, 09:10 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ May 17 2009, 09:41 PM) *
Thanks Tolek,

Of course that chord can also be seen as a C#m7(b5), however in this progression it is meant as an A9 chord without the root note A (as that is played by the bass).

Regarding the D7 9- chord: it contains the notes: F# A C D#, which is not a Dm7 chord as it contains the major third (F#) but a regular D7 with an added b9 in it. Again here the root is omitted and played by the bass.

Ok, I see. I didn´t notice the A-note-in-bass-possibility. biggrin.gif
But for the D7 9- chord, there´s still a problem. You should´t write a D# in it because it wouldn´t be a b9 but a 1st augmented. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 17 2009, 09:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Tolek @ May 17 2009, 10:10 PM) *
Ok, I see. I didn´t notice the A-note-in-bass-possibility. biggrin.gif
But for the D7 9- chord, there´s still a problem. You should´t write a D# in it because it wouldn´t be a b9 but a 1st augmented. wink.gif

You are absolutely right ... it should be Eb smile.gif (edited my post smile.gif)

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 17 2009, 09:24 PM
Instructor
That D7 - 9 chord is actually Eb diminished 7th chord, in this case passing diminished chord smile.gif

Edit to make it all clear here is more detailed explanation :

Eb dim 7 chord : Eb Gb(F#) A(Bbb) C (Dbb).

You have exact same chord just order of notes is different.

Eb A C F#.

So the chord is Eb diminished 7th using drop 2 voicing on guitar (2nd voice from top dropped down an octave smile.gif

This post has been edited by Pedja Simovic: May 17 2009, 09:26 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 17 2009, 09:28 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 17 2009, 10:24 PM) *
That D7 - 9 chord is actually Eb diminished chord, in this case passing diminished chord smile.gif

Thanks for the clarification Pedja, added a note to the main text as well regarding this smile.gif

This post has been edited by Velvet Roger: May 17 2009, 09:30 PM

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 17 2009, 09:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ May 17 2009, 10:28 PM) *
Thanks for the clarification Pedja, will leave it in the video's if you don't mind smile.gif

No problem Roger. Your labeling is also correct since all the notes are actually D7b9 without D in the actual chord.
The only thing that I didn't like very much is labeling of the chord, D7b9 is much more preferred method to me at least. Minus and plus signs just take too much space smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 17 2009, 09:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ May 17 2009, 10:30 PM) *
No problem Roger. Your labeling is also correct since all the notes are actually D7b9 without D in the actual chord.
The only thing that I didn't like very much is labeling of the chord, D7b9 is much more preferred method to me at least. Minus and plus signs just take too much space smile.gif

Yeah, for me it's exactly the same, but in Guitar Pro it is standard - / + so I kept that for now smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
May 17 2009, 09:35 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Velvet Roger @ May 17 2009, 10:31 PM) *
Yeah, for me it's exactly the same, but in Guitar Pro it is standard - / + so I kept that for now smile.gif

So you exported these from Guitar pro ?
Interesting, I have never done that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
coffeeman
May 18 2009, 02:11 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Awesome lesson Roger, congratulations!

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 18 2009, 06:23 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (coffeeman @ May 18 2009, 03:11 AM) *
Awesome lesson Roger, congratulations!

Thanks Coffee smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 18 2009, 10:13 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Excellent lesson! Quality of is really good! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Stephane Lucarel...
May 18 2009, 11:48 AM
Instructor
Excellent lesson Roger! Sounds really great and very well explained!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 18 2009, 01:15 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ May 18 2009, 11:13 AM) *
Excellent lesson! Quality of is really good! smile.gif

QUOTE (Stephane Lucarelli @ May 18 2009, 12:48 PM) *
Excellent lesson Roger! Sounds really great and very well explained!

Thanks guys, means a lot smile.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 18 2009, 01:18 PM
GMC Founder
Very nice lesson Roger! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
May 18 2009, 01:21 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 18 2009, 02:18 PM) *
Very nice lesson Roger! smile.gif

Thanks Kris, and also for the badge wink.gif

--------------------

Guitars & Amps

Effects & Other stuff

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Fran
May 18 2009, 03:05 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Cool lesson Roger! I'll add it to the SI wiki portal later smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:50 PM