Help Me Pick Up Pickups
Adis
May 8 2008, 05:27 AM
GMC:er
Hey all,
I will be getting a new guitar which is going to ba a Ibanez S470dxqm NF guitar. Pickup set up is H-S-H. It won't come with original Powersound crappy pickups it will have a Ibanez V7 on the Neck and V8 on the Bridge and HS3 (single coil) in the middle.
V7 seemes to have a good reviews but not the V8...I will wait untill I try the guitar to see what I need to change.
This guitar has a mahagony body. I haven't had this type of guitar body before and I don't know what type of pickup will sound good. I might change 1, 2 or all 3 pickups. (I know evrybody has different taste in sound) I just want you guys to share some experience with this.
I like to play all kinds of music mainly Rock and Heavy rock, and I have and Mashall AVT150 head through Marshall cabinet.
Any advise will be good.
Thanks!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 8 2008, 11:01 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
My personal faves are EMG 81's, I just love those pickups, if you prefer to stay passive you could also try a Seymour Duncan, the Jeff Beck pickup is a nice one too.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 8 2008, 10:00 PM
Instructor
Stan Hinesley wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Strungout180
May 9 2008, 12:01 AM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ May 8 2008, 05:00 PM) *

Ive been extremely interested in the Kashmir Classic PAF's from Stan. Have you had any experience with them, Muris?

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah

+Quote Post
RIP Dime
May 9 2008, 01:40 AM
Well, pickups I have expirience with are EMG, Manlius, Seymour Duncan, Dimarzio, Dean pickups, and Gibson pickups. The only ones I didn't really like was the Seymour Duncan pickups, every model has this weird midrange, and flabby bottom end.
Manlius is great, I have a custom wound set that burns, but they now cost well over $100.
Gibsons are great for rock, but very versatile, they have a nice high quality sound, but expensive.
Dimarzios are generally very bright, not quite thick enough for my taste, but they would match a mahogany body guitar well. Very nice mid range on these pickups, can get muddy if you crank the mids on your amp.
The new Dean pickup factory are pumping out some great pickups, Pat Baker knows his stuff. I have a custom wound set and they freaking rule, nice bottom end, a sort of modern classic sound, and very versatile.
EMGs are great aswell, high quality sound, good for heavy rock to metal.

In general I would reccomend pickups with Alnico 5 magnets for you, they have a sort of vintage sound character with lends well to rock, look for ones with fairly high output(should say on the pickup website), so you can get some nice harmonics and tight low end. DC rating is usually a really bad way of judging output, but in a very general sense it kinda hint to the output. For you I would reccomend something with around 14-16k DC resistance(bridge), 9-11(neck), with Alnico 5 magnets. Would sound great in a mahogany guitar. And I dunno jack about single coils. laugh.gif

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Nermin
May 9 2008, 05:29 AM
For Metal EMG are suppose to be good, and i think Kirk Hammet plays those, so that should give you idea what they sound like. smile.gif

--------------------
Some ideas i have recorded:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtXfVNlklX0...feature=related
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd7_ce2j_Ys

My Gear
American Fender Strat HSS
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 50
Larrivee D03R Acoustic Guitar

Effects
Cry Baby Wah Wah pedal
Boss TU2 Tuner

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 9 2008, 06:53 AM
QUOTE (Marcus Siepen @ May 8 2008, 12:01 PM) *
My personal faves are EMG 81's, I just love those pickups, if you prefer to stay passive you could also try a Seymour Duncan, the Jeff Beck pickup is a nice one too.

Eeeexcellent choise smile.gif

EMG81/85 and SD JB/Jazz here.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
ballistic31
May 9 2008, 08:13 AM
Im with muris on this one,, I was a huge fan of the seymour duncan pick ups.. untill i got a stan hinesley setup and now im hooked..I have a ibanez 620exqm that im am working on..I almost went with the 420 but lacked the feel i was looking for and the pickups where all mashed into a small space..So i was allways hitting the pickups with my pick..So i went with the 620 they are both good guitars imo..I found though if you are looking for that great high gain pantera pick up sound...The mohogany body eats up them highs pretty quick..but leaves you with a much mellowing sustained tone beefy tone...

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
May 9 2008, 01:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Strungout180 @ May 9 2008, 01:01 AM) *
Ive been extremely interested in the Kashmir Classic PAF's from Stan. Have you had any experience with them, Muris?

Haven't tried that one to be honest with you. huh.gif
But you can always contact Stan and consult with him,
to find the best solution for you and your guitar. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 9 2008, 04:14 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I am more and more getting curious about those pickups too, I like Muris tone a lot and already checked out Stans homepage. So far most of my guitars are equiped with EMG 81 or various Gibson pickups, but I think with the next one I will try one of Stans pickups smile.gif
@ Muris: if you have any recommendations, they are always welcome wink.gif

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
FrankW
May 10 2008, 05:59 AM
Adis, there are many pickups to choose from for sure. Back in the day, Dimarzio Super Distortion pickups were the rage because they could drive the front end of a tube amp, (like a Marshall JCM800), really hard to get extra gain. With today's high-gain amps, (tube-type), you may find that an ultra-powerful pickup will be too much. It depends on the sound you're going for, but if you want more definition in your notes without alot of muddiness, a lower powered pickup may be the ticket.

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 10 2008, 09:44 AM
Instructor
Demarzio /EMG activate

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 02:52 AM