Portable Amp
Shane
May 26 2008, 11:43 AM
GMC:er
huh.gif Thanks for the tips on the mini guitar guys......there's some cool stuff out there.....

So, anyone want to recommend a good mini/batt powered amp? Thanks! rolleyes.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Limitless, undying love that shines around me like a million suns and calls me on and on across the universe......

Drive a $300 truck..........play a $3,000 guitar........and sleep well!

My gear: Vintage Series 1962 Strat
Johnson Steel resonator
worthless but good sounding Pan and Hernandez acoustics
BR600 Digital Recorder
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 14)
ZakkWylde
May 26 2008, 12:14 PM
Learning Tone Master
Line 6 mini
Vox Ad5
Roland Micro Cube

all 5watt amps, all modeling, all equal in sound and price so it's your personal preferance...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 26 2008, 12:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Yeah good recommendations Zakk...Just try them out in store and get which one you like wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 26 2008, 12:45 PM
Instructor
There's also mini marshall stack smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 26 2008, 12:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah but I would not recommend that little marshall amp although I love Marshall amps in general. The mini stack by marshall sounds bad and is not very loud (it does not even sound like a Marshall). It's not worth the money.

The battery amps I suggested sound suprisingly good for their size and are loud aswell. They are also modeling amps with built in effects so you can pretty much get every tone you want from them.

--------------------

Gear:

- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Shane
May 27 2008, 06:37 AM
Thanks! Those all looked pretty good. The Microcube always seemed solid.

--------------------
Limitless, undying love that shines around me like a million suns and calls me on and on across the universe......

Johnson Steel resonator
BR600 Digital Recorder

+Quote Post
blindwillie
May 27 2008, 06:55 AM
How do you intend to use it?
A POD or the VOX amPlug might be a solution too if you don't need speakers. If headphones is OK.
http://www.voxamps.co.uk/amplug/. The tiny Marshal is ... OK for the size but don't expect that much of it.

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 27 2008, 07:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ May 26 2008, 01:51 PM) *
Yeah but I would not recommend that little marshall amp although I love Marshall amps in general. The mini stack by marshall sounds bad and is not very loud (it does not even sound like a Marshall). It's not worth the money.

The battery amps I suggested sound suprisingly good for their size and are loud aswell. They are also modeling amps with built in effects so you can pretty much get every tone you want from them.

I can agree 100% with that comment on the Marshall amp. It sounds terrible!

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 27 2008, 11:36 AM
Instructor
Another good choice would be a MicroCube. I've heard the little thingy work and it is very loud and decent sounding.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
May 27 2008, 04:34 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'd stay away from the mini-marshall too, I had one many years ago, and if they are anything similar now a days they are not worth it.

I also recommend a Roland micro cube or vox DA5 for small amps OR the already suggested pod/pandora route.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 27 2008, 04:48 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ May 27 2008, 11:34 AM) *
I'd stay away from the mini-marshall too, I had one many years ago, and if they are anything similar now a days they are not worth it.

I've heard the same thing about it many times. Kinda weird that Zakk Wylde promotes them so much.

Kurt Cobain used to put one in his backline sometimes. He didn't really go for Marshall gear though and it wasn't plugged in and was mostly there as a joke.

Attached Image

Image from http://www.kurtsequipment.com/ampspage.htm

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Shane
May 27 2008, 09:57 PM
I have a BR600 digital recorder I use through my headphones, with all the bells and whistles. Looking for something with an actual speaker.........the Microcube looks good.......I bought one of those smoky mini amps too for fun....will see how that works out! Thanks again for your feedback!

--------------------

Johnson Steel resonator
BR600 Digital Recorder

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
May 27 2008, 10:02 PM
Learning Tone Master
I didn't meant those ministacks as in the picture behind Kurt, those are 15 watts Marshall Mg15 stacks and they are ok for their price. I was talking about the marshall micro stack, it's a 0,5 watt battery amp that you can fit on you belt with a clip. Those are awful!!!

--------------------

Gear:

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 27 2008, 10:30 PM
Instructor
I must stand down from my advice to get a Marshall. I too am aware that it is a bad mini amp. But just wanted to give all the options! Don't kill me guys smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
May 27 2008, 11:32 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 27 2008, 11:30 PM) *
I must stand down from my advice to get a Marshall. I too am aware that it is a bad mini amp. But just wanted to give all the options! Don't kill me guys smile.gif

No worries Ivan, we understand that with your ultra-skills even the mini-marshall sounds so good, and that makes it hard to find the ugly amps lurking out there wink.gif

Leave that to us! laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:55 AM