2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Rock Ballad Solo (c Major)
Rating 5 V
Chris Evans
Mar 27 2008, 03:06 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Attached Image

hi there, Most of you know me well enough by now I think, for those of you that don`t can get some background on me here https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/index.php/User:Smells

So lets jump straight in to it.

This is a Rock Ballad Lesson in the Key of C and we`ll be using the C major scale, this lesson is aimed a little more at Intermediate players that are looking to improve their "feel" and "phrasing", many beginner/Intermediate guitarists focus a lot on speed playing and neglect these two very important parts. Feel & phrasing are fundamental to any good solo, with this lesson I hope to show you a little of how you can combine slow melody lines that have "feel" and "emotion" using vibrato and slides, with slightly more technical pieces to enhance and give the solo some extra touches.

The backing track is at 50BPM so its a very slow piece, the majority of it is a simple melody with some more technical parts (but not too difficult) building from the mid part to the end.
Because of the slowness already of the backing a slower backing track is not provided, I will however over the next couple of days be adding a simplified solo with this backing with slower runs for beginners.

techniques used in this lesson are :
- Vibrato
- Slides
- Alternate picking
- 3 string sweeps

Attached Image

Main Video : Attached File  CMajor_Rock_Ballad_Solo1.mpg ( 17.94MB ) Number of downloads: 2600

Video 1 : Attached File  Ballad_Solo_Video_1.mpg ( 5.65MB ) Number of downloads: 1254

Vid 1 Tab

\3
|------------------------
|---------5/7--5---------
|--3/7--3--------3/7--3-0

A very simple intro, keep the slides definate and confident, sliding evenly from one note to the next.

Video 2 : Attached File  Ballad_Solo_Video_2.mpg ( 7.54MB ) Number of downloads: 870

Vid 2 Tab

T T ph
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------2/5--4p0--4h5--9p5--0-4h5--12p5--0-7b9--7-5-7h5--4-5
|--------------------5/7--5------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----3---3-3/5--3--------------------------------------------------------------------------
|--3---3-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
x x x x
pm

palm mute on the first 4 notes, the whole idea of this intro is to keep it smooth and flowing, use lots of vibrato to help with the phrasing on the notes.

Video 3 : Attached File  Ballad_Solo_Video_3.mpg ( 8.52MB ) Number of downloads: 665

Vid 3 tab

|--12-10-8---------------------13b15--12------------12/20--19-19p17--17---------------------
|-------------12-10-8-----------------------13----13---------------------------20-20-20b22--20
|-----------------------10-9-7------------------12--------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first run in this tab is all about the timing, you can vary up the timing in a run to give it some feature in the solo, then we move into a simple 3 string sweep sliding on the last note as smoothly as possible, accuracy is the key to getting this part correct.

Video 4 : Attached File  Ballad_Solo_Video_4.mpg ( 6.97MB ) Number of downloads: 536

Vid 4 tab

|----------17-19b20--19-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|------18------------------20------------------------------------------------------------------------
|--17--------------------------19----------19s-17-17s-16-------------------------------------10--
|--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------9-10-12------
|-------------------------------17----------17s-15-15s-14---------------8-10-12-----------------
|---------------------------------------------------------------8-10-12-----------------------------

another 3 string sweep, thes sweeps bring you into that first note nicely and not laving it all on its own.
sliding down and only picking on one of the octave chords, a quick legato run up to finish this section.

Video 5 : Attached File  Ballad_Solo_Video_5.mpg ( 8.3MB ) Number of downloads: 493

Vid 5 tab

|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|--12-10-9------------------9---------9----9-12-----------------------------------------
|------------12-10-9-10-12---10-12---12-------10-12-10-12-10-9--------------------
|-------------------------------------------------------------------------12-10-8----------
|-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------12-10-8

as with one of the previous videos timing the notes is important to accent them a little. finishing this section with an alternate pick run down palm muting he last 6 notes of the run.

Video 6 : Attached File  Ballad_Solo_Video_6.mpg ( 9.91MB ) Number of downloads: 554

Vid 6 tab

|-------------------------------------12-13----12-13-15b17--15-15b17--15-13-15-13
|--------------------------10-12-14-------12---------------------------------------------
|--------------10-12-14-------------------------------------------------------------------
|--10-12-14-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

|--15-13-12--------------------------------12---
|--------------15-13-12-----------12-13--------
|---------------------------14-14----------------
|--------------------------------------------------

The bends are what gives the final section all its character, finishing with a fairly straight forward but effective alternate pick run.

Backing Track

Attached File  C_Major_ballad_50BPM_backing.mp3 ( 1.2MB ) Number of downloads: 822
50bpm

Attached File  Ballad_solo_lesson_tab.txt ( 2.84K ) Number of downloads: 514

The key to this whole lesson is how you use your vibrato along with timing to accent certain phrases within the piece, it sounds a fairly simple piece, but you`ll ned to have your bends in pitch as they will stand out if they are out of key, and a reasonably good vibrato technique, I use both arm and finger vibrato techniques throughout this whole piece to try and give it as much "feel" as possible.

I hope you`ve enjoyed this lesson

All the best
Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Mar 28 2008, 01:13 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Mar 27 2008, 11:37 PM
GMC:er
I think we need to petition to Kris that you need to be an instructor..

Should I make a thread about it smile.gif?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Tjchep: Mar 27 2008, 11:41 PM

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 27 2008, 11:42 PM
Instructor
This is great smile.gif Excellent melody

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Mar 27 2008, 11:43 PM
GMC:er
Wow Smells, this is a beautiful piece! Like a lot of players, I'm fine with phrasing the min pentatonic, but new at major scale phrasing. Great work! I hear some Marcus in your style. Can I bookmark this?

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 27 2008, 11:47 PM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Mar 27 2008, 10:43 PM) *
Can I bookmark this?

It`ll be here in the boards forever more now mate smile.gif

Thanks guys glad your liking it smile.gif

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 27 2008, 11:55 PM
GMC Founder
I love it - the composition, your playing and the lesson. Just awesome! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Mar 28 2008, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Very good solo

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 28 2008, 12:34 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Very nice job man!! smile.gif Great tone and structure. Is it all right to DL your backing and post our efforts?

You Rock!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 12:39 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 27 2008, 11:34 PM) *
Very nice job man!! smile.gif Great tone and structure. Is it all right to DL your backing and post our efforts?

You Rock!

Thanks mate, and yes you can d/load the backing track for your takes no probs

biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 28 2008, 12:58 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Should we post them here? Or maybe we need a seperate sub-form. wink.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 01:02 AM
Heres seems fine to me , or put it in the uploads section smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 28 2008, 01:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
Can we get the entire tab somewhere? smile.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 01:10 AM
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Mar 28 2008, 12:07 AM) *
Can we get the entire tab somewhere? smile.gif

so you got it all together you mean? I got it saved just as a text (notebook) document if you want that I`ll put it in the top no probs smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 01:13 AM
ok mate I`ve added it in, underneath the backing track

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 28 2008, 01:18 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
You keep going where their needed to be an ending so I have to maybe think that this may be a 3 part lesson maybe. Am I right? smile.gif

I think I will upload my take in the upload section and put a link here to it. That sounds about right.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 01:21 AM
Not sure what/where you mean mate, theres 6 video parts to the main video smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Stevie-Ray-Vaugh...
Mar 28 2008, 01:25 AM
Learning Rock Star
Tab is very scrambled for me sad.gif

--------------------

But still I want answers, what's the point, what does all this mean?

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 28 2008, 01:35 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Videos 5 and Video 6 are not included as a part of your main video. At least when I look at it here.

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 28 2008, 01:37 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Stevie·Ray·Vaughn @ Mar 27 2008, 08:25 PM) *
Tab is very scrambled for me sad.gif

Save target as a text file to your system and then open in Notepad without wordwrap on. Then it looks fine.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Mar 28 2008, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Mar 28 2008, 12:35 AM) *
Videos 5 and Video 6 are not included as a part of your main video. At least when I look at it here.

?? hmm strange, all playing ok for me.

Anyone else having any problems with playback?

Try downloading VLC Player (just do a google on that), thats what I`m using here and its fine.

Stevie - Sorry should have explained that, do as UncleSkillet has said and it`ll be fine. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:27 PM