One More Ibanez Question
Manny
Jan 25 2008, 01:35 AM
GMC:er
I've been strongly considering buying an ibanez 2550e for my new hard rock/metal guitar. I have read plenty of reviews and i really like Rg's but i was wondering if anyone had other recommendations i should check out before investing my hard earned cash. (Money is hard to come by when your 15, so $1,200 or less please tongue.gif ).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
skennington
Jan 25 2008, 01:44 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Manny @ Jan 24 2008, 07:35 PM) *
I've been strongly considering buying an ibanez 2550e for my new hard rock/metal guitar. I have read plenty of reviews and i really like Rg's but i was wondering if anyone had other recommendations i should check out before investing my hard earned cash. (Money is hard to come by when your 15, so $1,200 or less please tongue.gif ).

You know what I'm going to say, Jackson DK2 or DKMG tongue.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
swingline
Jan 25 2008, 01:50 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 24 2008, 04:44 PM) *
Jackson DK2

Thats what I got and I love it.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Manny
Jan 25 2008, 02:10 AM
are jacksons good for shredding? Or are Ibanez better?
I've heard Jacksons are best for rhythm guitar

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 25 2008, 02:48 AM
QUOTE (Manny @ Jan 24 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Absolute shred machine! Fastest action i've played, But then again , my experience with other guitars is limmited. I'm sure others will beg the differ!

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 02:49 AM
QUOTE (Manny @ Jan 24 2008, 08:10 PM) *

Jacksons (Depending on the model) are great for shred. However, Ibanez Prestige models have the uber fast necks and I can tell you from experience, playing an Ibanez with a Wizard (Prestige) neck is simply a pleasure. It's silky smooth and effortless to play on. Unfortunately, about 5 months ago I needed cash and didn't want to take out a loan, so I had to sell my RG 1570 Prestige. I miss that guitar. sad.gif

Now if you ask someone who's used to playing on say a Les Paul neck, they'll say playing an Ibanez feels like you're playing a toy guitar, but then again, how many "shredders" do you know that play a LP?

This post has been edited by Sabbz: Jan 25 2008, 02:58 AM

--------------------
Gear I wish I still owned:
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
Dunlop DB01 Crybaby From Hell
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
EHX Holy Grail + Stereo Memory Man
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 02:55 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Jan 24 2008, 01:49 PM) *
Jacksons (Depending on the model) are great for shred. However, Ibanez Prestige models have the uber fast necks and I can tell you from experience, playing an Ibanez with a Wizard (Prestige) neck is simply a pleasure. It's silky smooth and effortless to play on. Unfortunately, I needed money about 5 months ago I needed cash and didn't want to take out a loan, so I had to sell my RG 1570 Prestige. I miss that guitar. sad.gif

Now if you ask someone who's used to playing on say a Les Paul neck, they'll say playing an Ibanez feels like you're playing a toy guitar, but then again, how many "shredders" do you know that play a LP?

Zakk Wylde, Slash, Jeff Beck (yes he shreds), Buckethead and pleeeenty of others are enough for me wink.gif

Not to discount Jacksons and Ibanez, but I'm one of those guys who feels like they're toys in my hands (and I'm not a very good player even tongue.gif) But thats mostly because I'm used to thicker necks. Just not for me. I can attest after having tried them that if you do find one of those guitars to your liking, they're great guitars. Even though I didn't really like the feel of the ibanez guitars I tried, I could tell they're well built, solid machines that'll serve any axeman faithfully smile.gif

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 25 2008, 02:55 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 03:01 AM
QUOTE (JVM @ Jan 24 2008, 08:55 PM) *
Zakk Wylde, Slash, Jeff Beck (yes he shreds), Buckethead and pleeeenty of others are enough for me wink.gif

Not to discount Jacksons and Ibanez, but I'm one of those guys who feels like they're toys in my hands (and I'm not a very good player even tongue.gif) But thats mostly because I'm used to thicker necks. Just not for me. I can attest after having tried them that if you do find one of those guitars to your liking, they're great guitars. Even though I didn't really like the feel of the ibanez guitars I tried, I could tell they're well built, solid machines that'll serve any axeman faithfully smile.gif

I guess that depends on your point of view. I definitely don't consider Slash or Jeff Beck (Who I thought played Telecasters?) as shredders. I can sorta see Zakk, but I still don't really consider him a shredder, either. I'm not saying he can't or doesn't, but the vast majority of his playing is more bluesy, pentatonic minor stuff. Buckethead, yes, definitely.

This post has been edited by Sabbz: Jan 25 2008, 03:02 AM

--------------------
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 03:48 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Jan 24 2008, 02:01 PM) *
I guess that depends on your point of view. I definitely don't consider Slash or Jeff Beck (Who I thought played Telecasters?) as shredders. I can sorta see Zakk, but I still don't really consider him a shredder, either. I'm not saying he can't or doesn't, but the vast majority of his playing is more bluesy, pentatonic minor stuff. Buckethead, yes, definitely.

Beck plays a strat these days. I'm sure he's played a telecaster before, but he's definitely not known for it. His guitar of choice in the 60s-probably around sometime in the 80s, which was most of his best stuff, was a les paul.

However I can agree with you that he's probably not a shredder by your standard, but he's about in the league of slash technique wise. If you want others... eric johnson recorded cliffs of dover on an es-335 (gibson). How about Gabriel biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Jan 25 2008, 03:52 AM
Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai come to mind when I think Ibanez. Plus I love the feel of them. I chose the 2550e. I am not disappointed and will also have a Les Paul soon.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 03:59 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Jan 24 2008, 02:52 PM) *
Paul Gilbert and Steve Vai come to mind when I think Ibanez. Plus I love the feel of them. I chose the 2550e. I am not disappointed and will also have a Les Paul soon.

Yeah thats the way to go, is to have both biggrin.gif If you have the money.

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 25 2008, 04:05 AM
Dang guys, I thought we were talking a grand or so. If we were to broad'n the spectrum, then well, Parker, Dean to name a couple. I alwys thought the LP was the ultimate shredder ( never played one ) but have heared many.

The kid has 1200.00 to spend. what do you recomend?

+Quote Post
Sabbz
Jan 25 2008, 04:23 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 24 2008, 10:05 PM) *
Dang guys, I thought we were talking a grand or so. If we were to broad'n the spectrum, then well, Parker, Dean to name a couple. I alwys thought the LP was the ultimate shredder ( never played one ) but have heared many.

The kid has 1200.00 to spend. what do you recomend?

$1200 will definitely buy a good guitar. Personally, I'd recommend saving $$$ and getting one of the better Schecter models. For the price (around $6-700) you simply can't beat the quality and they're perfectly good for shredding. I love the neck profile and the action on my CS-1. In fact, out of all the guitars I've owned and played over the years, it's easily my favorite guitar. And I've owned some damned nice guitars over the years including Jacksons, Ibanez, and even a custom Stratocaster.

--------------------
Schecter C-S1 Elite
Ovation CC48
Peavey 6505+ HS
MXR KFK 10 Band EQ
MXR Smart Gate

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 25 2008, 04:26 AM
I have 2550e and could not be happier. smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 25 2008, 04:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Yeah $1200 is more than enough for a great guitar. Especially if you buy used though O_o But you probably don't want to so I think I could agree on a schecter as Sabbz said. I had a bad experience with one once (horrible setup, really old strings that needed to be changed at guitarcenter, dirty neck etc) so I couldn't judge for a while but maybe a month or two ago I tried one again and I found they were pretty nice.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Maximus
Jan 25 2008, 04:38 AM
Although I play/have 2 Ibanez's and a Les Paul Standard and love them all, I have to say that I am also very impressed what Schecter has to offer at a very reasonable price point. 600-800 bucks gets you what generally costs over 1000 bucks from other manufacturers. They look awesome to boot. Play a few and decide.

Edit: Spelling

This post has been edited by Maximus: Jan 25 2008, 04:39 AM

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 25 2008, 08:20 AM
QUOTE (Sabbz @ Jan 25 2008, 04:23 AM) *
$1200 will definitely buy a good guitar. Personally, I'd recommend saving $$$ and getting one of the better Schecter models. For the price (around $6-700) you simply can't beat the quality and they're perfectly good for shredding. I love the neck profile and the action on my CS-1. In fact, out of all the guitars I've owned and played over the years, it's easily my favorite guitar. And I've owned some damned nice guitars over the years including Jacksons, Ibanez, and even a custom Stratocaster.

Absolutly +1

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jan 25 2008, 09:51 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Manny @ Jan 25 2008, 01:35 AM) *

I think you're doing the right thing aiming for guitars abow low end since you can afford it.

Ibanez guitars are mostly made of Basswood, which cheddars like because it brings out the frequencies they prefer in order to make their shred heard. However, Steve Vai has his signature guitar made our of Adler instead, same wood that Charvel and Jackson are made from.. and Fender for that matter. So it it works for Mr Vai...

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Jan 25 2008, 10:48 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jan 25 2008, 09:51 AM) *
Ibanez guitars are mostly made of Basswood, which cheddars like because it brings out the frequencies they prefer in order

Are you, in a subtle way, trying to tell us that shredders are cheesy? wink.gif

/edit: forgot the winkie *sigh*

This post has been edited by blindwillie: Jan 25 2008, 12:31 PM

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Mark.
Jan 25 2008, 11:42 AM
Go for the Ibanez RG 2550e smile.gif
I'm 15 too and I bought it 2 months ago, it costed me al my money but I couldn't be happier smile.gif
It really plays like a dream, and has a supper fast neck, the pick ups sound really good, for both metal riffing and shred smile.gif
An alternative would be the RG 1570, but that one hasn't got the dimarzio pick ups tongue.gif

Mark.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:54 PM