2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Nile, Unexpect, Warbringer, The Faceless, Suicide Silence, State Theater, Florida
The Uncreator
Mar 21 2008, 11:04 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (steiner666 @ Mar 20 2008, 11:42 AM) *
I'll be seeing Nile next friday in Cleveland on this same tour. I actually wasnt sure if i was going to be able to make it because of work, but after reading your review I think it will be worth playing sick over wink.gif

Thats the way to do it! wink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Danilo Capezzuto
Mar 21 2008, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Nice review, thanks.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
kyeric
Mar 29 2008, 05:15 PM
GMC:er
Saw the Nile show on Thursday night in Louisville!

WARBRINGER
Instead of Warbringer, there were 2 local area bands(Behind the Beheaded, and Goddamage) in their place. They weren't bad. Would have really liked to see Warbringer. I just heard their debut album and it is some really cool thrash! Anyway, the 2 bands in their place were pretty good. Behind the Beheaded had dual vocalists, which was a neat twist. It gave a nice layered effect to the vocals. Nothing else really stood out, though. Goddamage was a 3 piece with the bassist handling the vocal duties. The guitarist was pretty good. They will be releasing their first demo on April 1st, I believe. Neither of the these 2 bands would make you say "man, I've got to see them again", but they still put on a good show.

UNEXPECT
I didn't care for Unexpect. I think this is most likely one of those bands that has no "so-so" fans. You either love them or you like them much at all. I fall into the latter. Just didn't get into it. Yes, they were definitely different(male vocals and female vocals, violin, keyboards and just their stage presence), but I just didn't care for them.

FACELESS
I saw The Faceless last year on the Summer Slaughter Tour. I liked them enough to buy their album based on that performance. This year's entry was even better. Really enjoyed them. Will definitely be seeking out their new album. The lead guitarist is really polished. They have some real nice rhythm playing and the leads are played quite well.

SUICIDE SILENCE
I'm in complete agreement with most in saying that Suicide Silence sucks. Not exactly sure what the purpose of themon this tour was. Not only was the music boring and the vocalist completely annoying after about 30 seconds, but the crowd that was there to see them was a bunch of middle school goons that wanted to do their flailing around and swinging their arms and kicking crap. Every single song had the same EXACT breakdown so the "mosh pit", if you can call it that, would start up. Like Uncreator said, this band being the last act before Nile is "a major disgrace".

NILE
Anyway, the only reason I went was obviously Nile. They are my favorite band, by far! The last time I saw them was on the In Their Darkened Shrines tour at Bogart's in Cincinnati(w/ Vader, Kreator, Chimaira and Goatwhore, IIRC). Awesome show then, even better show this time around! Nile got on stage a little before 11pm and played for about an hour and a half, which I thought was awesome. Would have loved for them to play for over 2 hours!! Awesome, awesome show, nonetheless.

I can't remember the whole setlist or order, but they played:
Ramses Bringer Of War, Black Seeds Of Vengeance, Cast Down The Heretic, Sacrifice Unto Sebek, Lashed To The Slave Stick, Annihilation Of The Wicked, Ithyphallic, Papyrus Containing..., Eat Of The Dead, The Essential Salts(my favorite on the new album) and a couple of others. They ended the show with Unas, Slayer Of The Gods, too. What a song!

You can listen to a Nile album and tell the songs are complex and require great agility to play, but seeing them live and how they move their fingers around the fretboard is amazing. Not only that, they nailed EVERY song.

Someone mentioned it already, but the downtuned guitar sound made the entire club rumble. That is one of the coolest things at a concert is feeling your chest thump with the sound of the low end guitars!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 31 2008, 02:38 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Glad to see you shared the same amazing experience of Nile as me!!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
steiner666
Mar 31 2008, 08:51 PM
Well I have a similar review now too, heh.

Caught this tour last Friday at Peabody's in Cleveland and Nile blew me away of course. I can't say I was really impressed with any of the other bands however. I was intoxicated enough to get into a couple songs here and there, but none of the supporting bands drew me in enough for me to really bother noting any band, album, or track to look into afterward. In fact, I found myself straying from the main stage and into the adjacent Pirates Cove smaller bar/stage area to catch some of the (more talented, imo) local bands that had shows in rotation that night also.

I thought Unexpect was probably the most interesting band on the tour, next to Nile. The 9-string bass was pretty impressive, as was the blending of the melodic element from the violin and female vocalist, and the guitarists growls were decent enough. I thought the music was a little too random, chaotic, and sometimes goofy to really get into for very long though and I found myself wishing them away. Suicide Silence was pretty annoying... makes me feel old saying this, but... the younger generations got no taste these days! Their songs were too vocal-centered and had what sounded like the same riffs in every one of them. "Suicide" and "silence" were definitely the two things I thought about while I impatiently awaited Nile... I mean they weren't bad enough that I hated them, their music was just so unimpressive that I was baffled that they had the most fans there it seemed, next to Nile. So me and my friend preoccupied ourselves playing around with the bloodhound security guards. I can't believe the smokers of Cleveland let them ban smoking in bars! That's ridiculous and inconvenient, shame on those pushovers!

Nile. What can I say? Way better than the teaser of a stage-show they were able to squeeze in at Ozzfest. Their sound levels were definitely the best of the night, and right up at the top of my list for best sounding band live. The whole place rumbled like thunder yet their (perfectly executed) solos and riffs screamed right through the mix. Vocals were as perfectly on as the guitars. Karl's zombie-ish growls, of course, didn't stand out as much because of the really low frequencies, but were still great. I was right in front of Dallas and all I can say is wow. Talk about coordination. Most people in the metal scene would be lucky to be able to shred out riffs like he does OR growl on his level, let alone both.

This post has been edited by steiner666: Mar 31 2008, 08:55 PM

--------------------
ESP LTD MH-400NT (EMG 81/85 set, D'Addario Skinny Top/Fat Bottom strings)
Line 6 Toneport GX

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Apr 1 2008, 09:51 PM
QUOTE (steiner666 @ Mar 31 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Suicide Silence was pretty annoying... makes me feel old saying this, but... the younger generations got no taste these days! Their songs were too vocal-centered and had what sounded like the same riffs in every one of them. "Suicide" and "silence" were definitely the two things I thought about while I impatiently awaited Nile...

Lolol laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:59 PM