3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Your First Ibanez?
klasaine
Jan 23 2018, 04:04 PM
GMC:er
My first and only. I can never love another ...

Attached Image

Model 2629 from 1979. Purchased new in 1980. $175.00 whsc from Valley Arts Guitars in Studio City (L.A.)
*The shop is more historically significant than the guitar. Along with the original Guitar Center, probably the most famous shop in Los Angeles.
https://www.google.com/search?q=valley+arts...280&bih=681
http://valleyarts.guitars/history/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Arts_Guitar

You can hear that axe on that first soundcloud track in my sig.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 23 2018, 04:07 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Jan 23 2018, 06:41 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 23 2018, 07:04 AM) *
My first and only. I can never love another ...

Attached Image

Model 2629 from 1979. Purchased new in 1980. $175.00 whsc from Valley Arts Guitars in Studio City (L.A.)
*The shop is more historically significant than the guitar. Along with the original Guitar Center, probably the most famous shop in Los Angeles.
https://www.google.com/search?q=valley+arts...280&bih=681
http://valleyarts.guitars/history/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_Arts_Guitar

You can hear that axe on that first soundcloud track in my sig.

Far out. I'll bet that was less than half the price of an ES-335.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 23 2018, 07:11 PM
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Jan 23 2018, 10:41 AM) *
Far out. I'll bet that was less than half the price of an ES-335.

Oh yeah! A new 335 in 1980 was around $800 w/case.
I would go to that shop (valley arts) every weekend and just look at this wall of 335s that they had hanging there. I wanted one SO badly. The 335 was super popular (in LA) at that time because all the session guys played them. The bottom line was ... I couldn't afford one. Not in a million years. One of the owner's of the shop (Al Carness) took pity on me or, he was just sick of me coming in every Saturday, staring at the guitar wall and sheepishly asking if I could play one. He showed me the Ibanez and said, "look, I know it doesn't say Gibson on the headstock but this is a great guitar. It's been here over a year and nobody wants it. $175 plus tax and it's all yours".

Sold! to the long haired kid with the Dodgers t-shirt.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 23 2018, 07:11 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 23 2018, 08:35 PM
My second Ibby was an RG760! It was my first 7 string and was just as good as my 560 in terms of build as both were MIJ. I still have it and I LOVE that guitar. It's still one of the best playing 7 strings I've every come across. If anyone is looking to try a seven string, I'd say go get an old rg7620. They were later redesignated "Prestige" models. But back in the day, they just called them RG smile.gif

Here she is in standard tuning. Goes plenty low enough for me with that low B string. Some folks feel the need to tune lower, but I never have. Sounds nice to me as is smile.gif

QUOTE (yoncopin @ Jan 22 2018, 07:24 PM) *
My first Ibanez was a 1989 RG760, turned out it wasn't exactly for me but was a great guitar. The one I found later which WAS for me was my S671QM. It's a $300 base model with a slightly thicker neck and fixed bridge. It's my favorite guitar by far, just goes to show cost doesn't matter for much.

Those reissues are gonna be AMAZING imho. Ibanez finally figured out what people want smile.gif The guitars they made three decades ago!!!! Duh smile.gif Bring back golden era ibbys, BAM, huge fan base buys every single one.

They are making the original 550 much cheaper. Used to be about a thousand bucks on ebay, now about half that. The new ones are about a thousand so the old ones have taken a price hit which makes them affordable and that's a good thing imho smile.gif

They are also doing a new version of the 570 which I'm a huge fan off as I like guitars without pick guards but that's just a difference in taste. Same basic axe.
Attached Image

I've owned nearly every type of Ibby over the years from RG to PG to Xiphos. I've loved them all smile.gif Glad this thread has gotten resurrected to talk about Ibbys!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 22 2018, 05:38 PM) *
My first Ibanez was a SA260. Sold that a while back. I have a cheap RG321 stripped down that I fancy having ago of repainting the body and installing new electrics.

I have serious GAS for the new RG550 smile.gif . Think they are due in the guitar shops in a couple of weeks. I keep waking up through the night and going on my phone to look at them laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 23 2018, 08:36 PM

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Jan 24 2018, 08:24 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 23 2018, 07:35 PM) *
My second Ibby was an RG760! It was my first 7 string and was just as good as my 560 in terms of build as both were MIJ. I still have it and I LOVE that guitar. It's still one of the best playing 7 strings I've every come across. If anyone is looking to try a seven string, I'd say go get an old rg7620. They were later redesignated "Prestige" models. But back in the day, they just called them RG smile.gif

Here she is in standard tuning. Goes plenty low enough for me with that low B string. Some folks feel the need to tune lower, but I never have. Sounds nice to me as is smile.gif

Those reissues are gonna be AMAZING imho. Ibanez finally figured out what people want smile.gif The guitars they made three decades ago!!!! Duh smile.gif Bring back golden era ibbys, BAM, huge fan base buys every single one.

They are making the original 550 much cheaper. Used to be about a thousand bucks on ebay, now about half that. The new ones are about a thousand so the old ones have taken a price hit which makes them affordable and that's a good thing imho smile.gif

They are also doing a new version of the 570 which I'm a huge fan off as I like guitars without pick guards but that's just a difference in taste. Same basic axe.
Attached Image

I've owned nearly every type of Ibby over the years from RG to PG to Xiphos. I've loved them all smile.gif Glad this thread has gotten resurrected to talk about Ibbys!!
Attached Image

Todd

Yeah Todd the new RG 550 are only £899 in the UK. Amazing price for MIJ guitar. I really want one but Charvel have just released there new guitars for 2018 and there is two that I really like.Will just need to wait untill they are in stock to try them out. Or maybe I could buy the RG550 and one of the Charvels laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 24 2018, 07:52 PM
It's a great time to buy a new Ibby smile.gif I hope the QC on these is top notch. It all looks great on paper, but the rubber will hit the road when folks start taking delivery. Many folks insist that post 2010 the QC went downhill. These are all MIJ and it's Ibanez chance to prove they can still build high quality gear with consistency just like they used to do back in the day. I have not played any bad high end Ibby that were built post 2010, but evidently enough folks have played bad ones to make it a "thing" . I have high hopes for these. I'll be eyeballing the used market for sure smile.gif I'd love a newly built 570!!!! Will probably wait until they start showing up on the used market just to get the new car smell off of them and cut the price a pinch.

Todd

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Jan 24 2018, 03:24 AM) *
Yeah Todd the new RG 550 are only £899 in the UK. Amazing price for MIJ guitar. I really want one but Charvel have just released there new guitars for 2018 and there is two that I really like.Will just need to wait untill they are in stock to try them out. Or maybe I could buy the RG550 and one of the Charvels laugh.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 08:13 AM