> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Adam M's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 29 2018, 01:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Welcome to your mentoring thread.

Before we start, I'd like to know a bit more about you.

- How many time have you been playing guitar?
- Favorite guitarists, bands and musicians.
- What are your guitar goals?
- How would you like to you see yourself in 5 years (related to music and guitar)?
- How many time can you play guitar each day?
- Do you have playing live experience?
- Which are your strong and weak points with guitar?
- What do you know about music theory?
- Can you record videos of you playing?
- Share here audios and videos that reflect your current playing.

List of lessons used in this thread:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/30-Beg...er-Blues-Licks/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/BB-King-Blues/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Your-First-Metal-Solo/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bendin...Friedman-Style/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Him-Style-Love-Metal/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Land-Of-Legato/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Basic-Rock-Rhythm-2/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Sep 26 2019, 02:25 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Oct 29 2018, 06:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi!

* I've been playing for maybe 4 years (with few breaks), started doing actual practice few months ago.
* As for my favourite bands, my major inspirations are: Jason Becker, Rhapsody of Fire, Blind Guardian, Nightwish, Sonata Arctica and YJM a bit. I also like Metallica (esp. Load/Reload age), Scorpions, BFMV and early Iron Maiden.
* About my goals, I want to become a neoclassical maestro above all else. I'm hoping to record Vivaldi's 4 seasons by next august. Even if it takes longer, I want to develop in that direction.
* In 5 years I'd be happy with a few amateur records, maybe even Paganini's Caprices. Generally, I'd love to shred freely over backing tracks, maybe become a street performer.
* I can play daily way more than I do. I'm on my final year at uninversity, so I may have to pay more attention to MA thesis in a few weeks. I also work on weekends, but for now, 1-2h daily are quite a safe bet.
* I've only played live for my family, if that counts. And for the neighbours.
* For the strong points, I can fix it and do any wiring possible and I didn't quit on playing after a month. Nothing to boast about.
* Weak points are probably basic self-taught bad habits and slow, sloppy playing.
* For music theory, i know the basics. Can read score sheet (slowly but improving). I don't know any advanced stuff, like harmony.
* I don't have any recording gear like DI box or mic and console yet. But I do have a camera that does the trick for now.
* I never recorded myself before but I can try on wednesday.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 30 2018, 02:04 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Thanks for your info!

I'll wait for your videos so I can see your current playing. I recommend you to check this video for ideas to make the best videos:

By the way, I recommend you to start with this lesson: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/neocla..._for_beginners/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 22 2018, 08:43 PM
Learning Roadie
Relating to your request from the other topic: How important is the lighting in my videos? I tried 2 kinds of it and both are killing my eyes. I can get a better camera angle but the light will be a problem.

Also, while I'm working on the above. May I ask for next lesson, if you have any planed it for me already?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 23 2018, 03:58 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam, your videos are ok if I can see clearly your hands while playing so if you think that this is possible with the current lighting, let's go for it!

Have you tried the neoclassical lesson for beginners that I've suggested in the previous post?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Nov 24 2018, 09:58 PM
Learning Roadie
FINALLY! I'm done recording. It took me very long time and still isn't perfect. I really tried but now I'm making mistakes because of stress. I can re-record it, if it's not good enough but I hope for the best smile.gif

The part that was the biggest challenge here are the two runs from 9th and 7th frets on A string to up to the high E. They sound a bit like diminished 7th that YJM uses a lot. I should probably practice it more if I want to play his pieces in the future.

You have already seen my demo in the other thread but I'll copy it here to have all my progress in one place. I would love to play the whole piece someday without the stress and tension I felt while recording it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Nov 26 2018, 02:29 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! Great to find this video from you!! smile.gif

There are some elements that need attention in your playing so we will work on specific lessons and exercises that will train you and give you tools to improve this lesson and this style of playing.

The elements that need work based on this take are:

- Bending: I notice that you use one finger to bend while it's better to use other fingers to help the one that is bending the fret.

- Vibrato: The same than bending but I also notice that your vibrato is weak by now, and not consistent. I also notice that you are doing most of the movement with your fingers while the motion should be from your wrist. Let's work on this as well!

- Timing: This take has timing issues here and there. This is not dramatic, since there are many parts that are played well. In the case of this lesson, I think that you just need more days/weeks of practice.

- Economic movements: Your left hand fingers separate too much from the fretboard when you are not using them. It's important to try to make your hands and fingers movements the smaller possible in order to be able to play at higher tempos.

Ok mate, these are the lessons that I recommend working during the next week:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Hand-Basics/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Beginn...ending-Workout/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

Let me know what you think!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 1 2018, 09:53 PM
Learning Roadie
Here's my first take on Picking Hand Basics lesson. It's not perfect but it's something to work with. I'll keep practicing it anyway because it's a nice exercise for a warm-up.

I didn't try doing all 3 lessons in one go because that way I wouldn't do either too well. Next I'll go for the bending lesson because I feel vibrato will take a bit longer, so it's better to focus on it later clear-headed.

PS. After reading Kris' feedback in REC I realized I'll have to work harder on this one. These are the basics on which we'll build more complex skills, so they must be solid. I've had a similar problem with Maiden songs, regarding the tempo changes. At higher pace I couldn't follow. Is playing at lower tempo going to fix it or are there any extra tips to succeed?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 2 2018, 05:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 3 2018, 07:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! I've just commented this one at REC, please check out my comments and let me know if you have any question.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 4 2018, 12:01 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks! I have a question about what Darius advised me. I tried keeping my fingers on the fretboard but it slows me down a lot. When I asked Todd about it, he said it'd come to me naturally as I progress, so I shouldn't worry.
I have some strength in my hands and I don't feel bad about fretting with just one finger. Is it okay if I just try to keep my fingers low above the strings, so they can act faster? Bending and vibrato is easier with more fingers but that's it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 4 2018, 03:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 3 2018, 08:01 PM) *
Thanks! I have a question about what Darius advised me. I tried keeping my fingers on the fretboard but it slows me down a lot. When I asked Todd about it, he said it'd come to me naturally as I progress, so I shouldn't worry.
I have some strength in my hands and I don't feel bad about fretting with just one finger. Is it okay if I just try to keep my fingers low above the strings, so they can act faster? Bending and vibrato is easier with more fingers but that's it.

Hi mate, I'm not completely sure if I understand what you mean. However, it's very important to make your technique effective and economize movements, so trying to keep your fingers the close possible to the fretboard. That's the only way to achive fast speeds.

Also, it's important to economize strengh, did you know it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 4 2018, 04:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 4 2018, 02:19 PM) *
Hi mate, I'm not completely sure if I understand what you mean. However, it's very important to make your technique effective and economize movements, so trying to keep your fingers the close possible to the fretboard. That's the only way to achive fast speeds.

Also, it's important to economize strengh, did you know it?

I'm thinking about it now and the more I think, the more I come to a conclusion it's worth trying. Todd's feedback in REC and your advice here could enable me to going places. Please, correct me if I'm wrong on this one:

Breaking a piece into chunks is already a nice idea. Before, I did focused practice only on sections that were tricky to play. Other than than I used to practice the whole piece. So, while I break down the melody, I can also try fretting with more fingers AT A SLOW TEMPO and keep it this way where it works for me and keep fingers low where it doesn't work. I already realized I can't do this in all cases.

PS. I stumbled on Kiko Louleiro's lessons at YT just now. He teaches the exactly same thing - practicing scale runs and chromatic without lifting the fingers.

PS2. Is there a place at GMC where I can learn the theory and absolute pitch? My mom advised me to start by naming notes in score sheets. Just writing names below notes. I want to add these 2 elements to my practice routine but have no idea where to start.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 4 2018, 04:19 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 5 2018, 02:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam! how are you mate?

Yes, that's a good approach! Go for it. Playing at slower tempos, in smaller blocks is the way to go if you want to polish your technique and adjust movements. You won't regret it!

About Kiko's video, yes! That's what I'm talking about. And regarding theory,You can find everything you need to know about theory in the important topics section here: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=25

Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 11 2018, 01:14 PM
Learning Roadie
Just a quick update. I just got the info that 2 of my exams will be on next Monday and since the lecturer doesn't like me, I really need to pass them with high grades. I'll do my best to weave a practice session in between every now and then - in fact, I'm close to re-recording my take on Picking Hand lesson but I won't be uploading it before the exams. I also have to turn in a thesis chapter on Monday, so I'll be very busy for the next few days.

-Adam

PS. I uploaded my take on your Blues Jam. I know it's not the best one but please let me know what you think about it honestly smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 11 2018, 01:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 11 2018, 04:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam, I've just answered something at the blues collab thread.

Check it out!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 12 2018, 06:29 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 11 2018, 04:36 PM) *
Hi Adam, I've just answered something at the blues collab thread.

Check it out!

Thank you. Reading everyone's feedback makes me want to learn modal scales. But let's take one step at a time, right? I can learn shapes now but I know it would only confuse me. I think I'll understand this subject easier and better in the future, so now I'll just add it to my To-Do-List smile.gif

I'll use today's practice for improvising over E minor and I'll see what I can get. I don't want to delay the collab.

Also, my ex heard about my struggles and she gifted me a 0-100 course on improvisation that is supposed to teach me everything from the basics. It has about 150 lessons, so it'll take time. If I'm not mistaken, there's theory in it too.

She also got me a Lick Library's DVD on 24th Caprice but it won't be much use for our thread for a while. If it's ok, I'd like to post here my takes on each variation in the future. That way, we could work on each part step by step and have focused practice sessions. This kind of practice works best for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 13 2018, 04:09 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 12 2018, 02:29 PM) *
Thank you. Reading everyone's feedback makes me want to learn modal scales. But let's take one step at a time, right? I can learn shapes now but I know it would only confuse me. I think I'll understand this subject easier and better in the future, so now I'll just add it to my To-Do-List smile.gif

I'll use today's practice for improvising over E minor and I'll see what I can get. I don't want to delay the collab.

Also, my ex heard about my struggles and she gifted me a 0-100 course on improvisation that is supposed to teach me everything from the basics. It has about 150 lessons, so it'll take time. If I'm not mistaken, there's theory in it too.

She also got me a Lick Library's DVD on 24th Caprice but it won't be much use for our thread for a while. If it's ok, I'd like to post here my takes on each variation in the future. That way, we could work on each part step by step and have focused practice sessions. This kind of practice works best for me.

Yes! There is a lot to do with Pentatonic by now! Even when playing modes, it's essential to have a good knowledge of Pentatonic scales so I really recommend you to work a lot on them before getting into modes.

I'd like to see a video of you playing over the blues backing track using only E minor pentatonic, what do you say? is it possible?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 13 2018, 05:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 13 2018, 04:09 PM) *
Yes! There is a lot to do with Pentatonic by now! Even when playing modes, it's essential to have a good knowledge of Pentatonic scales so I really recommend you to work a lot on them before getting into modes.

I'd like to see a video of you playing over the blues backing track using only E minor pentatonic, what do you say? is it possible?

Of course it's possible! smile.gif I'm recording my practice sessions but I won't process the videos until I'm done with university assignments. I'm also working on the three lessons you asked me to do before but this time I want to turn in some better takes. I'll probably upload them all together but no sooner than on Tuesday.

By good knowledge, do you mean being fluent in playing it or should I learn some theory behind it too?

About the Picking Hand lesson. I divided it into smaller sections by the picking patterns. I could upload them so you can check if they are ok. Then, I'll upload a whole piece. It's not difficult but the transitions seem to give me the biggest challenge of it all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2018, 03:31 PM
Instructor
Hi Adam!!

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 13 2018, 01:58 PM) *
Of course it's possible! smile.gif I'm recording my practice sessions but I won't process the videos until I'm done with university assignments. I'm also working on the three lessons you asked me to do before but this time I want to turn in some better takes. I'll probably upload them all together but no sooner than on Tuesday.

Ok! That sounds great! Recording your sessions is very helpful because you (and me) will be able to analyse your playing and progress. Keep on doing it!

By good knowledge, do you mean being fluent in playing it or should I learn some theory behind it too?

Learning some theory behind it is always welcome!! About Pentatonics, you basically need to know that these are 5 notes scales and that the most used are known as Pentatonic Minor, and Pentatonic Major. This is how these are built:

Pentatonic Major: Root - Major 2nd - Major 3rd - Perfect 5th - Major 6th

Pentatonic Minor: Root - Minor 3rd - Perfect 4th - Perfect 5th - Minor 7th

If you don't know what major 2nd, or Perfect 5th is, it means that we need to get into "Intervals" concept. Just let me know!

About being fluent, I was mainly reffering to playing. The idea is that you can play the scale, find it all over the fretboard and identify the chord tones. Which are the chord tones? They are the ones that belong to the root chord. For example, if you are playing A minor Pentatonic, you need to visualize the scale but also be able to see A minor chord inside the scale, as a part of it. Why? Because, these will be the most stable notes when improvising, and the more you get into visualizing chords and scales, the more you'll be able to control your phrasing.

About the Picking Hand lesson. I divided it into smaller sections by the picking patterns. I could upload them so you can check if they are ok. Then, I'll upload a whole piece. It's not difficult but the transitions seem to give me the biggest challenge of it all.

Great! Yes, you can upload smaller sections here to let me check and give feedback!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 15 2018, 08:56 PM
Learning Roadie
I thought I should write what I know about intervals at this point to keep things run smooth, so here it is:

Intervals are the differences in pitch between two notes.
The smallest difference on fret board is a semitone but you can bend the pitch up by a 1/4 too.
12 semitones make up an octave: C-D-E-F-G-A-B-C;, E-F and B-C are semitones, others are whole tones.
There are intervals above the octave - a 9th = octave and a 2nd, etc.
1st, 4th, 5th and 8th are the perfect intervals, consonant.
2nd, 3rd, 6th and 7th are dissonant. They can be major and minor.
All intervals can be augmented or diminished which means, they are a semitone higher or lower than usual.

Melodic interval = notes played separately (eg. arpeggio)
Harmonic interval = notes played together (eg. chord)

Chord = two or more intervals combined.
Major 3rd + minor 3rd = major chord
Minor 3rd + major 3rd = minor chord

I'm not sure about these two:
Minor 3rd + minor 3rd = diminished chord (aka. Tritone, some call it the devil's chord)
Augmented 3rd + augmented 3rd = augmented chord

There can be 7th, 9th and 11th chords too, probably more but I wanted to focus on those within an octave.
If I'm not mistaken, they are basically a regular chord with a 7th, 9th, 11th, etc. added to the basic chord, so they can be major and minor as well.

E5, A5, etc. known as power chords aren't technically the chords. They consist of a 5th and sometimes a 4th.

Slash chords: eg. E/B means you play a B major chord with added low E on bass string.

Dissonant chords can be dissolved into consonant but I've never learned it. I know more or less how it looks on a sheet score but I can't do it myself.

Within an octave, you can invert intervals. When looking for a note higher by a minor 6th, you can move down by a major 3rd instead.

Chords can be inverted too. A C major (CEG) can be inverted to EGC and GCE - I never learned how to utilize this while playing!

I also drew a circle of fifth, which helps to memorize the keys - how many flats and sharps are in each key, in what order the amount increases and what is the opposite key (eg. C major and A minor).

I know a few basic chords - what notes they are made of. Basically, I need to spend more time on this and the circle of 5th to be more fluent. I only know the basics here.

Now for the scales, etc.

A minor scale has the same notes as its major equivalent. Minor starts from 6th step of major.

I step is called Tonic - it's a main note of a scale.
IV step = Subdominant - it's the third most important note. Leads to the Dominant and becomes a Dominant when you play the scale backwards.
V step = Dominant - it's the second most important note of the scale.

II and VII steps lead to Tonic and Iirc, they are the least important.
III and VI are leading to V and IV. Also, III is halfway from I to V and VI is halfway from I to IV (when played backwards).

Chords build on I, IV and V steps of a major scale are always major. When build on a minor scale, they are always minor.
Chords built on VII step of major scale and II step of a minor scale are always diminished.
Other chords are minor for a major scale and major for a minor scale.

I also realized, that T-S-D (I-IV-V) chords are corresponding to the perfect intervals. I have no idea if that's accidental and I have no idea how to use this whole knowledge about scales and steps at the moment. I have a little idea about how to use what I know about intervals but I surely need to learn more.

As for modes - I know they are introducing different moods to the melody.
Natural major = Ionian, Natural minor = Aeolian. There's also Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian and Locrian.
Harmonic minor (Aeolian #7) also has modes, most notable is Phrygian Dominant (4 step is raised in comparison to a regular Phrygian mode, iirc). Phrygian major starts at 6th step of Harmonic Major.

I like Harmonic minor and Phrygian major and I'd love to master these two more than any other but I'll be patiently learning and practicing the Pentatonics until you decide I can move on.

PS. Some time ago I found a scale called Harmonic Pentatonic, but there's not much info about this one. Kris played over it in his live stream and said something about it having a 7th step augmented, iirc. Can we give it a try in our Mentoring thread?

This post has been edited by Adam M: Dec 15 2018, 09:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:06 AM