32 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2019, 02:53 AM
GMC:er
Putting your home studio in order is crucial. I've seen a LOT of students who lose way too much time each practice session due to having to reconnect everything from scratch each time they want to practice and or record. If at all possible, set up your own rig/computer/guitar so that you can just sit down and play. This is not always possible for various reasons. Get creative. Try to see if you can create a small home studio setup that is ready to go when you are. When you sit down, you should be able to just pick up the guitar and play. This is the ideal scenario. Your situation will dictate how smooth you can set this up.

I Have my laptop connected so that it turns itself on and launched my DAW software at a certain time each day and so It's ready when I sit down to practice/record. It saves time and energy. Time is hard to come by and wasting it on re connecting your gear each time you want to practice is a waste of precious time. If you need any help, post in the forum as everyone here has a home studio! smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 31 2019, 08:55 PM) *
I want to say I will go back to regular posting vids but currently I'm almost done with thesis but I had to re-organize my room completely. While at it, I thought, I would adapt it to a bedroom studio, so I need to look through all the stuff, decide what to keep and what not to and plan ahead to be able to have my future rig where I want it without need to move things around to fit it. It takes a lot of time and effort because there's a lot stuff I gathered over years.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 1 2019, 04:40 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 1 2019, 02:53 AM) *
Putting your home studio in order is crucial. I've seen a LOT of students who lose way too much time each practice session due to having to reconnect everything from scratch each time they want to practice and or record. If at all possible, set up your own rig/computer/guitar so that you can just sit down and play. This is not always possible for various reasons. Get creative. Try to see if you can create a small home studio setup that is ready to go when you are. When you sit down, you should be able to just pick up the guitar and play. This is the ideal scenario. Your situation will dictate how smooth you can set this up.

I Have my laptop connected so that it turns itself on and launched my DAW software at a certain time each day and so It's ready when I sit down to practice/record. It saves time and energy. Time is hard to come by and wasting it on re connecting your gear each time you want to practice is a waste of precious time. If you need any help, post in the forum as everyone here has a home studio! smile.gif

Todd

It's not just studio, though I agree the comfortable and accessible positioning is crucial. I also have to tear down old wallpapers and put on new ones and that alone is a lot of work for one person.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2019, 07:55 AM
Wallpaper won't really have much of an impact on your recording/practicing will it? A few well placed posters might be able to sort that out smile.gif

QUOTE (Adam @ Jul 31 2019, 11:40 PM) *
It's not just studio, though I agree the comfortable and accessible positioning is crucial. I also have to tear down old wallpapers and put on new ones and that alone is a lot of work for one person.

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 1 2019, 12:01 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 1 2019, 07:55 AM) *
Wallpaper won't really have much of an impact on your recording/practicing will it? A few well placed posters might be able to sort that out smile.gif

No it won't but last time I rushed it and now the results stir me right in the eyes everyday. I figured if I'm doing all this, why not put on a new one. Trust me, it's too much to be covered by just posters smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 1 2019, 10:40 PM
I hear ya smile.gif You gotta do what you gotta do! smile.gif I hope you can wrap it up without stress and get back to your journey!!!
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 1 2019, 07:01 AM) *
No it won't but last time I rushed it and now the results stir me right in the eyes everyday. I figured if I'm doing all this, why not put on a new one. Trust me, it's too much to be covered by just posters smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 20 2019, 12:49 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 1 2019, 09:40 PM) *
I hear ya smile.gif You gotta do what you gotta do! smile.gif I hope you can wrap it up without stress and get back to your journey!!!

I'm fighting sleep deprivation and uni papers but not playing guitar does not help one bit, so I might just post something.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 20 2019, 03:28 AM
Great to see you back in the fight Soldier. Your previous experience is service you well. Let's debrief!

MEDALS OF HONOR
SYNCHING IT: Your hand synch has come a long way! you can play these advanced bits without to much trouble.. That's a very good thing! keo\ep it up

PINKY WORK: You are making great use of your pinky! Not doing so get many a solder sent back to the wood shed! Keep that up too!

REACH:
Great job on your reach! This one requires a big stretch and you had no problems. Nice!

You tore it apart Soldier! You are ready for what awaits you!

You also remain our TOP DAWG!!!!!

You just ... LEVELED UP!

Attached Image

QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 19 2019, 07:49 PM) *

I'm fighting sleep deprivation and uni papers but not playing guitar does not help one bit, so I might just post something.

[color="#FF0000"][/color]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 20 2019, 03:51 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 20 2019, 11:18 PM
Learning Roadie
I've tried mission 105 just for practice and the first part has kind of harmonic vibe to me. Is it the case or is it a Neoclassical syndrome that makes me hear it everywhere? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 21 2019, 06:23 AM
Good ear! It's a bit of a bear with a big stretch. You can do it Soldier!
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 20 2019, 06:18 PM) *
I've tried mission 105 just for practice and the first part has kind of harmonic vibe to me. Is it the case or is it a Neoclassical syndrome that makes me hear it everywhere? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 22 2019, 01:54 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 21 2019, 05:23 AM) *
Good ear! It's a bit of a bear with a big stretch. You can do it Soldier!
Sarge

I can and I did! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 22 2019, 07:36 AM
Another impressive showing Soldier!!! This one has some tricky bits in it to be sure. It requires a good control of the Pinky without doubt! You've earned your PINKY POWER over these last hundred plus missions. I dare say not everybody can play the licks in this one. It takes reach, and you gotta stick the landing. Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

PINKY POWER: Without enough PINKY POWER this entire Mission falls apart. The good news is your PINKY POWER has grown and grown with each mission!
STICKING THE LANDING: If you don't stick the landing on these, they sound very sloppy. This means having tight hand synch. You've earned your hand synch again, over the past 100 plus Missions!
REACH FOR IT: These require a good stretch. If one has not worked up a good finger stretch and reach by this point in the Missions, something is badly wrong. The good news is you've earned your reach. Nice! In short Soldier you have yet again...

LEVELED UP!!!

*You remain our TOP DAWG! Nobody has EVER gotten this far.

Attached Image

SargeShred Combat Battallion
Aug 22, 2019
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 21 2019, 08:54 PM) *

I can and I did! smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 22 2019, 07:38 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 24 2019, 12:38 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 24 2019, 06:10 AM
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!!! This is yet another Advanced Mission not for the faint of heart. It requires serious reach. Without working up ones reach, one simply can't play these types of licks. For players just starting out, this kind of thing is nearly impossible. After 100 Plus, you continue to show how far a player can come. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
SYNCHING FEELING: As with so many Missions, HAND SYNCH IS CRUCIAL. If synch slips, even a little, it shows. It sounds sloppy. Good news is our synch is spot on!
REACHING FOR THE SKY: You may have noticed I'm throwing big stretch drills one after another on this mission. If your hand is too tense, it will fatigue and fall apart. You've developed good stamina Soldier!!
QUIET AS DEATH: Keeping a good palm mute means no crazy string noise and you keep a solid Mute Soldier!!
In other words you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!

*You remain our TOP DAWG!! The Highest Rank EVER Achieved in Bootcamp.
Attached Image
You are ready for the crazy bits that await Soldier!! They once seemed NUTS now they will probably seem like nothing you can't handle!!

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 23 2019, 07:38 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 24 2019, 06:10 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 25 2019, 12:15 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 24 2019, 05:10 AM) *
WELL FOUGHT SOLDIER!!!! This is yet another Advanced Mission not for the faint of heart. It requires serious reach. Without working up ones reach, one simply can't play these types of licks. For players just starting out, this kind of thing is nearly impossible. After 100 Plus, you continue to show how far a player can come. Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
SYNCHING FEELING: As with so many Missions, HAND SYNCH IS CRUCIAL. If synch slips, even a little, it shows. It sounds sloppy. Good news is our synch is spot on!
REACHING FOR THE SKY: You may have noticed I'm throwing big stretch drills one after another on this mission. If your hand is too tense, it will fatigue and fall apart. You've developed good stamina Soldier!!
QUIET AS DEATH: Keeping a good palm mute means no crazy string noise and you keep a solid Mute Soldier!!
In other words you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!

*You remain our TOP DAWG!! The Highest Rank EVER Achieved in Bootcamp.
Attached Image
You are ready for the crazy bits that await Soldier!! They once seemed NUTS now they will probably seem like nothing you can't handle!!

Sarge

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 26 2019, 02:17 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! This Mission is the "Level UP from the Mission exactly 100 Missions ago. Thus being a bit tougher. However, as you have progressed, it may not have seemed much more complex than 100 times previous? Either way well done here. Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

MULTI PICKING This one requires some multi picking which I've seen many a soldier struggle with. Not you! Attacked it like a champ!

COMBO TECHNIQUE Also required are shapes that are not just linear. You have to jump around a bit and combine triad shapes with scales shapes. Yet another stumbling block for some, not for you!

SYNCH RULES As always, there are no gaps to allow the hand to "catch up" so hand synch is critical and yet again. you nailed it.

In short, you made brief work of this one Soldier! They do get a bit tougher from here but you are ready. You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
*You still remain our TOP DAWG!!!! As well! Congrats!
Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 24 2019, 07:15 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 28 2019, 01:50 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 26 2019, 05:40 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 26 2019, 01:17 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!! This Mission is the "Level UP from the Mission exactly 100 Missions ago. Thus being a bit tougher. However, as you have progressed, it may not have seemed much more complex than 100 times previous? Either way well done here. Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

MULTI PICKING This one requires some multi picking which I've seen many a soldier struggle with. Not you! Attacked it like a champ!

COMBO TECHNIQUE Also required are shapes that are not just linear. You have to jump around a bit and combine triad shapes with scales shapes. Yet another stumbling block for some, not for you!

SYNCH RULES As always, there are no gaps to allow the hand to "catch up" so hand synch is critical and yet again. you nailed it.

In short, you made brief work of this one Soldier! They do get a bit tougher from here but you are ready. You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
*You still remain our TOP DAWG!!!! As well! Congrats!
[attachment=49031:106.jpg]
Sarge

To be fair, I didn't recognize it at first but now it does ring a bell! And it's properly tuned to fit the 100+ difficulty too!

For me, this lesson and few other remind me of old Nightwish pasages like Crownless, Wanderlust or Gethsemane (the last one I'm including below) smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam: Aug 26 2019, 10:46 PM

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 27 2019, 05:44 AM
Good ear Soldier!! Many of these have a quazi folkish type vibe to them as if something that could be played as a melody on a bagpipe or other traditional instrument. Also 100-200 are advanced versions of things you have already beaten so they should be familiar yet provide a bit more challenge to deepen your existing skills set. That was my plan in building the first 200 Missions smile.gif

Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
CONFIDENCE-Go back and watch Mission. Then re watch Mission 207. Notice the vast amount of confidence in your playing that you have earned? Well done.

ABILITY-Also after Watching Mission 7, notice the change in ability? From pushing your way through to playing with verve and authority? Nice.

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE-Also after watching Mission 7 notice the grace with which you play these pieces.The fluidity. The nearly casual manner despite the difficulty. This is truly the goal of Bootcamp. To maker refined players out of raw material. You are killing it Soldier!! keep it up!!!
Congrats you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
*You remain our TOP DAWG Soldier, wear itwith pride!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 26 2019, 12:40 PM) *
To be fair, I didn't recognize it at first but now it does ring a bell! And it's properly tuned to fit the 100+ difficulty too!

For me, this lesson and few other remind me of old Nightwish pasages like Crownless, Wanderlust or Gethsemane (the last one I'm including below) smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 28 2019, 01:50 AM

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 27 2019, 10:26 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 27 2019, 04:44 AM) *
Good ear Soldier!! Many of these have a quazi folkish type vibe to them as if something that could be played as a melody on a bagpipe or other traditional instrument. Also 100-200 are advanced versions of things you have already beaten so they should be familiar yet provide a bit more challenge to deepen your existing skills set. That was my plan in building the first 200 Missions smile.gif

Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
CONFIDENCE-Go back and watch Mission. Then re watch Mission 207. Notice the vast amount of confidence in your playing that you have earned? Well done.

ABILITY-Also after Watching Mission 7, notice the change in ability? From pushing your way through to playing with verve and authority? Nice.

GRACE UNDER PRESSURE-Also after watching Mission 7 notice the grace with which you play these pieces.The fluidity. The nearly casual manner despite the difficulty. This is truly the goal of Bootcamp. To maker refined players out of raw material. You are killing it Soldier!! keep it up!!!
Congrats you just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
*You remain our TOP DAWG Soldier, wear itwith pride!!!

[attachment=49033:107.jpg]

Sarge

I knew Nightwish played folk tunes but I didn't study it to be able to point one out when I hear it. I think your plan is working because it takes some effort to play the overtuned missions smile.gif The difference between tier 1 and tier 100 in my videos is immense. I can tell the surge of confidence by just looking!

Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6 is another great example of pedal point and reverse pedal point use as well as other techniques but it was composed on baroque convention, so it sounds very classical. I especially like Project Grissini version, many people say it's the only one fully projecting the nihilistic insanity of the character it was composed for. I would love to play it on guitar in the future and the bad news is, it will take a lot of time and regular hard work. But the good news is, the further I progress in the Bootcamp, the less impossible it sounds!

I woke up today around 12pm to get just enough time to prepare for work. Doing a 16h shift tonight, hence I wanted to sleep longer so I don't sleep at work. Hence no video tonight. Maybe I'll shoot one in the morning when I'm back home smile.gif

This post has been edited by Adam: Aug 27 2019, 10:29 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2019, 01:47 AM
Thats the thing about work and sleep, they get in the way of important stuff like learning to play final fantasy riff!!! Follow your bliss!!! smile.gif Keep at it. Your making TONS of progress.

The traditional eurofolk stuff is all through much of european metal. Listen carefully and you'll heard reworkings of ancient melodies that date back to the first melodies sung in great halls and on long ships. These melodies never die. They just get rerworked smile.gif

We have our own folk music here in the Americas (Bluegrass/etc.) that is semi peculiar to our shores. Bits of common ballads came and got reworked to be able to be played on instruments that could be tooled by hand by the same items used to make shoes and farm implements. The violin did make its way here as the "fiddle", but such instruments were fragile and rare. Other instruments such as the mandolin arose. It required very little wood to make, almost no metal, and could be strung with cat gut. Farmers make simple instruments. Music survived here as it had in much of Europe through the rise of the Church, in our case mostly protestant vs catholic. Non religious music flourished in the Hills of Kentucky, leading to it's name "Bluegrass" as kentuck is known as the "Bluegrass State" as the long grass in the hills looks blue tipped. I"m actually from Kentucky so I've heard quite a bit of it and I swear to you it's actually SHREDDING done on simple instruments. smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Adam @ Aug 27 2019, 05:26 PM) *
I knew Nightwish played folk tunes but I didn't study it to be able to point one out when I hear it. I think your plan is working because it takes some effort to play the overtuned missions smile.gif The difference between tier 1 and tier 100 in my videos is immense. I can tell the surge of confidence by just looking!

Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6 is another great example of pedal point and reverse pedal point use as well as other techniques but it was composed on baroque convention, so it sounds very classical. I especially like Project Grissini version, many people say it's the only one fully projecting the nihilistic insanity of the character it was composed for. I would love to play it on guitar in the future and the bad news is, it will take a lot of time and regular hard work. But the good news is, the further I progress in the Bootcamp, the less impossible it sounds!

I woke up today around 12pm to get just enough time to prepare for work. Doing a 16h shift tonight, hence I wanted to sleep longer so I don't sleep at work. Hence no video tonight. Maybe I'll shoot one in the morning when I'm back home smile.gif

+Quote Post
Adam
Aug 28 2019, 11:11 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 28 2019, 12:47 AM) *
Thats the thing about work and sleep, they get in the way of important stuff like learning to play final fantasy riff!!! Follow your bliss!!! smile.gif Keep at it. Your making TONS of progress.

The traditional eurofolk stuff is all through much of european metal. Listen carefully and you'll heard reworkings of ancient melodies that date back to the first melodies sung in great halls and on long ships. These melodies never die. They just get rerworked smile.gif

We have our own folk music here in the Americas (Bluegrass/etc.) that is semi peculiar to our shores. Bits of common ballads came and got reworked to be able to be played on instruments that could be tooled by hand by the same items used to make shoes and farm implements. The violin did make its way here as the "fiddle", but such instruments were fragile and rare. Other instruments such as the mandolin arose. It required very little wood to make, almost no metal, and could be strung with cat gut. Farmers make simple instruments. Music survived here as it had in much of Europe through the rise of the Church, in our case mostly protestant vs catholic. Non religious music flourished in the Hills of Kentucky, leading to it's name "Bluegrass" as kentuck is known as the "Bluegrass State" as the long grass in the hills looks blue tipped. I"m actually from Kentucky so I've heard quite a bit of it and I swear to you it's actually SHREDDING done on simple instruments. smile.gif

Todd

It makes a lot of sense. In Poland some of folk songs evolved into "forbidden" anti-communist songs people chanted during soviet occupation decades and one of the melodies made its way to Metallica's To live is to die (clean section's Hetfield solo). I doubt he learned it as the anti-soviet song, so he must have heard its folk predecessor smile.gif
I like Irish melodies and folk rock/metal bands but probably the most popular Polish folk you are likely to hear comes from The Witcher 3, as it got really big world-wide.
And it's true about the shredding part - I tried a few tunes and they all resembled shredding pieces I'm familiar with. But thinking backwards, electric guitar shred had to originate somewhere before electric instruments were invented, so in a sense we should be thankful to all the folk artists! In Polish culture many highlanders' non-religious songs involve Harmonic Minor scale and this specific interval. On the contrary, the oldest as well as modern religious songs rarely use anything besides Natural Minor and on rare occasions Natural Major. But the Church has a thing for order and harmony to a point they even considered diminished fifth as evil. And since it originated from Gregorian choir, it's slow and steady. I guess that's how a duality in culture is born smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 15 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:35 AM