Thoughts From The Great Lukather Regarding Musicians And Social Media
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 13 2013, 04:40 PM
Instructor
Since there have been a few discussions around social media and artists today, I thought it would be a good idea to see how the great artists that have been through a different age, when the internet was not in existence, regard the possibilities brought up by the new technology and especially by social media promotion.

Steve Lukather's thoughts are not so shining when it comes to this topic - click here if you want to know why: http://mikeec.tumblr.com/post/24172050837/...s-it-like-it-is

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Todd Simpson
Oct 13 2013, 07:21 PM
GMC:er
Bitter much? Egad that guy has gotten seriously offended by the what things have developed. He has some very valid points to be sure, but railing against the the nature of the beast just makes him sound bitter. Almost like railing against downloading music, or railing against the sun rising. At some point you just have to take things as they come and move on right? He is correct of course that the middle section of artists who used to be able to earn a living is pretty much gone and everyone now can make a record on their iphone etc. But there has never been a better time to be a musician IMHO simply do to the fact that you can now get good gear for cheap and share your music with the world. smile.gif It's true making a living from it is probably harder than it ever was but that's the way the cook crumbles smile.gif I hope he chills a bit, he's a great player smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 13 2013, 11:40 AM) *
Since there have been a few discussions around social media and artists today, I thought it would be a good idea to see how the great artists that have been through a different age, when the internet was not in existence, regard the possibilities brought up by the new technology and especially by social media promotion.

Steve Lukather's thoughts are not so shining when it comes to this topic - click here if you want to know why: http://mikeec.tumblr.com/post/24172050837/...s-it-like-it-is

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 14 2013, 02:18 AM
He's not bitter. He's a legendary guitarist that still works. He has always called 'bullshit' when he sees it. It's his perspective. If you ask him a question he'll tell you what he thinks. He doesn't accept the new model. Cest la vie. He doesn't have to and it doesn't matter. He made his mark ... and his bank.
The great thing about Lukather is that he doesn't pull his punches. So many guys edit their 'real' opinion for the interview and the camera. Not him. It ain't all sweet little candies and pretty lights,

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Oct 14 2013, 03:19 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 13 2013, 06:21 PM) *
Bitter much? Egad that guy has gotten seriously offended by the what things have developed. He has some very valid points to be sure, but railing against the the nature of the beast just makes him sound bitter. Almost like railing against downloading music, or railing against the sun rising. At some point you just have to take things as they come and move on right? He is correct of course that the middle section of artists who used to be able to earn a living is pretty much gone and everyone now can make a record on their iphone etc. But there has never been a better time to be a musician IMHO simply do to the fact that you can now get good gear for cheap and share your music with the world. smile.gif It's true making a living from it is probably harder than it ever was but that's the way the cook crumbles smile.gif I hope he chills a bit, he's a great player smile.gif

Todd

Sure but if people don't really listen, what's the point? The rare selection of people that actually care about what music is being made is such a tiny group. Is it strange that it is this way? Hell no, human beings are as mass produced and "brainwashed" as the majority of records being made. When we do create a bit of ourselves, a true reflection of our personality within our music, people usually write it off as weird rather than expressive. I strongly agree with mr Lukather. It is shit... right now. But maybe in a few years, people will tire of the shallow fields of ABC digital productions and start really caring again...

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 14 2013, 09:15 AM
Instructor
Well, to me, it's like he can't somehow adapt to the new things, but regarding the quality of the music, he is right in many ways smile.gif Too much s...y stuff out there so to say. But it's a free world after all, innit? The internet allows you to filter the content that you want to be reached by and to reach the content you want to. Seems fair enough to me. The bad part is that people are not interested in REAL music as they were a long time ago - a big part of them anyway and in this, I agree with him strongly...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 14 2013, 03:53 PM
He doesn't need to 'adapt'. It wouldn't be any fun for him anyway.
When you've spent most of the 70s through the 90s recording to 2" tape in studios like Capitol 'A', the Village, Cherokee, Sunset Sound, Ocean Way, etc. - with the caliber of players (and budgets) he did ... it just ain't the same *for him* to do it the new way.
It's sort like a Formula 1 or Nascar driver getting into a Toyota Prius.

As one who came up during the transition from tape to digital and studio facility to home recording ... trust me, if you never did it the old way - you're better off. No value judgement from me. Just an observation from a guy who was there and crossed the divide.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 14 2013, 04:35 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 15 2013, 02:44 PM
Instructor
I think that he is a fantastic musician and that he has done lots of great music for many years. I understand what he writes there and there are some ideas in which I agree. But I think that he is generalizing. I believe and have examples of lots of bands and musicians that are making great music, great albums, as in the old days, and also there are many bands that are making lots of money with his music. I think that the rules and possibilities changed compared to the 80's but I don't think that we are worse, we have to understand these new rules and possibilities.

This book/site is a good starting point to understand it: http://www.newrockstarphilosophy.com/

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 16 2013, 03:46 PM
Instructor
I also agree with you Gabe - indeed, the internet has opened up the possibility for each band to get exposed and that implies bad music as well, because not everyone makes awesome music laugh.gif But, kidding aside, I think that a smart adaptable man, makes good use of whatever life throws in his way.

I remember a very interesting moment in my life:

I entered the office of one of my old clients with my first company. I was an inexperienced dude in search of web design based projects and this lady was the owner of one of the top 5 travel agencies in Romania. Above her desk throned an image of Charles Darwin and one of his sayings - 'It is not the strongest or the most intelligent species that survives, but the one who's the most responsive to change' I am keeping that with me every day, as it applies pretty much everywhere.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 16 2013, 04:37 PM
Instructor

'It is not the strongest or the most intelligent species that survives, but the one who's the most responsive to change'

Can't agree more with this phrase.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Oct 17 2013, 01:23 AM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 16 2013, 05:04 PM
You're assuming that because he may not 'like' the new model - and is outspoken about it - that he hasn't adapted.

The guy plays probably 100+ gigs a year all over the world and still does recording sessions for TV, movies and other artists. I'm pretty sure he has his own digital media company (record/merch co.) and releases his own records via an on-line site ...

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2013, 10:39 PM
I have to disagree here, he's WAAAAAYYY bitter. Comes off really kranky and old. I'm not saying he doesn't have a right to say whatever the heck he wants, he does have that right of course smile.gif Just comes off sooooo badly IMHO, sounding like he's just out of touch and whining his head off. Some folks probably respect him his candor, but I lost a lot of respect for him just because it's so lame to hear him talk this way. Yes, the world has changed. But I honestly expected more from him than just complaints and bitterness. sad.gif

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 13 2013, 09:18 PM) *
He's not bitter. He's a legendary guitarist that still works. He has always called 'bullshit' when he sees it. It's his perspective. If you ask him a question he'll tell you what he thinks. He doesn't accept the new model. Cest la vie. He doesn't have to and it doesn't matter. He made his mark ... and his bank.
The great thing about Lukather is that he doesn't pull his punches. So many guys edit their 'real' opinion for the interview and the camera. Not him. It ain't all sweet little candies and pretty lights,

Bingo smile.gif Pretty much covers it.

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Oct 16 2013, 10:46 AM) *
I also agree with you Gabe - indeed, the internet has opened up the possibility for each band to get exposed and that implies bad music as well, because not everyone makes awesome music laugh.gif But, kidding aside, I think that a smart adaptable man, makes good use of whatever life throws in his way.

I remember a very interesting moment in my life:

I entered the office of one of my old clients with my first company. I was an inexperienced dude in search of web design based projects and this lady was the owner of one of the top 5 travel agencies in Romania. Above her desk throned an image of Charles Darwin and one of his sayings - 'It is not the strongest or the most intelligent species that survives, but the one who's the most responsive to change' I am keeping that with me every day, as it applies pretty much everywhere.

Eh? I have to say your playing alone makes me disagree with him. 10 years ago, I"d have never ever heard of you or your playing, but now thanks in part to the Miracle of the "Web" I've heard music that I"m just blown away by on a daily basis. I"m not talking about top 40 crap, I"m talking about the kind of music I get pointed to here in the forums.

Is popular music worse off than it was in his day? Sure. Is "good" music better off? YES!!!! smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (verciazghra @ Oct 13 2013, 10:19 PM) *
Sure but if people don't really listen, what's the point? The rare selection of people that actually care about what music is being made is such a tiny group. Is it strange that it is this way? Hell no, human beings are as mass produced and "brainwashed" as the majority of records being made. When we do create a bit of ourselves, a true reflection of our personality within our music, people usually write it off as weird rather than expressive. I strongly agree with mr Lukather. It is shit... right now. But maybe in a few years, people will tire of the shallow fields of ABC digital productions and start really caring again...

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 16 2013, 11:00 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 16 2013, 02:39 PM) *
IMHO, sounding like he's just out of touch and whining his head off. Some folks probably respect him his candor, but I lost a lot of respect for him just because it's so lame to hear him talk this way. Yes, the world has changed. But I honestly expected more from him than just complaints and bitterness. sad.gif

'If' he wasn't really playing much anymore i'd agree with you.
But he's a working player/artist. Technically, in the real world of making music, he's not out of touch because he's still in it. He may be ranting. It may be a 'rant' that I personally don't subscribe to (too much). But he's still out there doin' it.
*As a matter of record he's ALWAYS been a bit curmudgeonly ... long before the the 'new model' and the internet.
When he did a steady club gig here for years he was just a popular for his off the cuff comments over the mic as he was for his guitar playing.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 16 2013, 11:02 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 16 2013, 11:20 PM
We (as musicians) are going back in time, getting closer to a time that music wasn't a product (no CD, cassette...).

Using the web might seem like a must today but I strongly advise friends to also invest time to your local area(s) too. The web will be so bloated it will be like todays TV, everyone will be famous for like 10 minutes but it takes months to make a good album smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2013, 11:50 PM
Just saying he "sounds" out of touch and after reading the article again, he really, really, really, does sound out of touch. Again, not to take anything away the guy is a legend. Just was hoping to read him say something a bit more "Steve Vai" talking about the positive aspects and opportunities of the "new age" instead of kranky whiney.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 16 2013, 06:00 PM) *
'If' he wasn't really playing much anymore i'd agree with you.
But he's a working player/artist. Technically, in the real world of making music, he's not out of touch because he's still in it. He may be ranting. It may be a 'rant' that I personally don't subscribe to (too much). But he's still out there doin' it.
*As a matter of record he's ALWAYS been a bit curmudgeonly ... long before the the 'new model' and the internet.
When he did a steady club gig here for years he was just a popular for his off the cuff comments over the mic as he was for his guitar playing.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 17 2013, 12:17 AM
Vai, Lukather - they're different guys and they have different personalities. They're both passionate about their art and their vocation. They express it in their own varied forms. That difference is what makes them both unique and viable to different groups of people. Art needs the + and the -, the pull and the push, the hot and the cold, the beautiful and the hideous, the good and the bad. They don't call him 'Luke' for nothing.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 17 2013, 09:22 AM
Vai and Luke has very different backgrounds. Vai openly admits that he took a lot of advice from Zappa on production when he was young, he has his own label.

Luke on the other hand is a typical studio musician besides his solo career.

I actually "romantically" like the idea of everyone doing what he does best as a team member (this goes for everything visual art, producer etc.) so the best music can be born. But in this discipline (today) music isn't an art forum anymore, this is done to make the best product and earn the most money possible.

Change always comes with the good and the bad. Its too far in the future but I hope someday (again) a guitarist will only focus on his guitar rather than learning to advertise, arrange, record/mix/master, video edit...

--------------------

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Oct 17 2013, 10:31 AM
To go on a weird tangent here I think that the mainstage of music always represents the "current state" of our sociology. I may not be right about this but that's what my experience and cynicism tells me. Baroque music was filled with neuance because people were open to it, their lives were simpler which means they were probably closer to "the ground" and more receptive to neuances.

I'm not saying that nobody is receptive anymore, I'm just saying that the digital world and the massproduction of "easy to listen to" material is just a reflex of the stressed lives we live today. Where we can only focus on the bigger things, because if we don't everything falls apart. (Again that may not be true, but that's the "sentiment" the world is giving off.)

People differ, everything differs, but what does the throbbing mass of people say? Probably that they wont pay a penny to see a guy play passionately with harmonies that are out of this world.

Which world do you want to live in? Will progressive jazz ever be a household thing? Will people be open to someone being different and still see the beauty when he/she pours soul into a piece of music?

These are questions I ponder every day, because mass-producing clones is not the answer to world hunger, international peace, and the well-being of your neighbours... I think, only compassion and empathy can do that... THE NAIVE BOHEMIAN HAS SPOKEN!

Love you guys...

This post has been edited by verciazghra: Oct 17 2013, 10:33 AM

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 17 2013, 02:25 PM
Not so naive.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Oct 17 2013, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Haha biggrin.gif I like the way this thread is evolving smile.gif Vince - your questions are my questions too mate and you are not naive - I hope you haven't taken any of my words as hiding some blades in them wink.gif

Each person is indeed different and unfortunately from one point in our lives, we get eaten up by the modern life's rigors - earn, eat, sleep, work to earn.

I for one wanted to do something which has to deal with my uniqueness and not let myself get entangled in a life that has no purpose but the one stated above, so that's why I am involved in the things I do and that's why I tried to earn a living by doing the things that I love most. But that means I need to fight smile.gif That's all I wanted to underline and I think that everyone believing in something should fight fiercely for that one thing that they believe in.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 17 2013, 05:19 PM
Hence the 'passion' thing. Not all passion is beautiful to behold - especially in print.
Lukather is angry and upset about music and the music business today. That doesn't mean he's 'bitter'. Two different things.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:53 PM