Need Help, Fast!
Martin la guitar...
May 2 2008, 11:35 AM
GMC:er
I just have a small question:

A lot of you (almost everyone) sais that when you are alternate picking you are picking with the wrists -

I thought you meant: picking the strings back and forth

But after watching some lessons at youtube i have come to the conclusion that its left and right, although this i think is very unpleasent, is it because i haven't practice it?

My goal with alternate picking is of course to pick in jaw dropping speed, so i want the fastest way to play fast, please give me good practicing tips as well as informing me what is the right way of practicing alternate picking.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Batista
May 2 2008, 11:39 AM
I'm not really sure I understand what you mean, but I guess this lesson by Kris can help you with the basics. And yes, alternate picking needs a lot of practice. So don't give up and remember that nothing comes for free smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Seven Deadly Sins, One Deadly Syn

Gear list:
Gibson Les Paul Studio Alpine White
Schecter Damien-6
Vox AD30VT
Boss DS-1
Boss MT-2

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 2 2008, 03:47 PM
The Dark Canuck
I'm with Batista on this as I'm not 100% sure what you mean.

But it is more of an up-down motion with the wrist then say a left-right. The lesson Batista linked is a great start also there is I think two more lessons in that series and there are many other Alternate picking lessons here at GMC that may help you out a bit. With a quick search you should find all kinds smile.gif

Here is the other two lessons in Kris's series and one of Muris's that you may find helpful.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/speed-alt...ing-lesson2.htm

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/speed-alt...ing-lesson3.htm

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

rok

+Quote Post
Nobody
May 2 2008, 04:24 PM
I don't think I understood you either but the best 2 ways for alternate picking is up and down and with a circle motion. IMO there isn't a better way for doing it. Just pick the way you feel comfortable with and start drilling :]

BTW I really didn't understand what did you mean by "left and right" and "back and forth".

For a tip I can tell you what a friend used to say "Only the first 1 million times are hard". I think you get the idea :] Just do it as much as you can and IMO in AP there is no way to go wrong.
And the most important thing! Play it in a musical way! Because AP is quite easy technique to drop out 1000 notes in a minute and many people abuse it and it sounds like s**t.

Well I had hard time writing this one(due to poor english biggrin.gif) so I really hope I've helped.

Cheers,
Hristian

--------------------
ARM THE HOMELESS!!

IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 2 2008, 08:32 PM
Instructor
There are a lot of subtle differences in alternate picking style. You just choose some options that suit your style nice and stick with it. Jaw dropping speed doesn't require only "proper way to do it" but more important a lot of hard work, no matter how you do it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 3 2008, 09:41 AM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
As the others I also didn't really get what you mean by "up and down vs. left and right", so maybe if you could make this clear for us we could give you a better advice.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
SensE
May 3 2008, 09:58 AM
I dont get you either. Can you send us a link of the video? We would really like to help you

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:17 AM