Do You Listen To Your Own Music?, these are the questions I ask when I'm bored
Ctodd
Dec 23 2008, 06:45 AM
GMC:er
When you kick back and relax, and listen to some music... do you ever find yourself listening to your own creations?

even if it was written by someone else but it's you playing, that counts too.

just curious because for the first time I went and took one of the lessons here (Carlos' Paramore style lesson) and completely re-created it (everything except the bass part... I dont have a bass sad.gif )

and now I love listening to it. I've also done this with some of the few other tunes that I have come up with.... and I love listening to them

so what about you???

-Chris

PS. I will post my version of the lesson when I clean it up a bit... I just finished it not too long ago, and its still a little "rough around the edges"

also Thanks Carlos for the great lesson!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Dec 23 2008, 06:47 AM

--------------------
QUOTE (Emir Hot @ Feb 5 2009, 03:41 AM) *
When you hear something that you really like, take guitar and kill the beast.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Koopid
Dec 23 2008, 07:08 AM
Learning Roadie
Not just for the listen no. It could be that we all need more practice in our band but generally I only listen to our music when I am "rehearsing" at home, as in playing along with our recordings. Or when I am writing something for it.

Maybe it is because you know the songs too well? Not only the different parts of the song, I know my favourite songs by other bands as well, but because I know how and why we wrote it, there are no secrets smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Dec 23 2008, 09:57 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ctodd @ Dec 23 2008, 06:45 AM) *
When you kick back and relax, and listen to some music... do you ever find yourself listening to your own creations?

Can't really relax while listening my own music, always spotting some little errors or possibilities for improvement smile.gif

I know, I am too critical on myself biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
superize
Dec 23 2008, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Not much when relaxing but it has happened......

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 23 2008, 11:29 AM
Instructor
Sure I love listening to my music - after all, it's for listening. I listen to it occasionally tho, not all the time. smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
vikingraider1
Dec 23 2008, 12:43 PM
that's a really good question and one band members and song writers should take note of. If you don't really like listening to your music or don't get a buzz out of it... chances are a lot of other people won't either. Sounds like common sense but you'd be surprised at the amount of people playing in bands that don't really like their own music.

--------------------
My Gear
Washburn USA Custom Shop Idol, Washburn WI65 Idol, Washburn WI64 Idol, Schecter C-1 Exotic, Schecter C-1 Stealth, Washburn WI66ANC Nick Catanese Signature, 1980s Burny Les Paul, Peavey Wolfgang Standard, Peavey 5150 MKI Combo, Marshall DSL 201, Morely Mark Tremonti Wah, Decimater Noise Gate, Zoom G2 1.u, Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster,
Basses:
Fender Jazz Bass, Fender Precision, Warwick Corvette 5 String

+Quote Post
Canis
Dec 23 2008, 03:25 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Dejan Farkas @ Dec 23 2008, 09:57 AM) *
Can't really relax while listening my own music, always spotting some little errors or possibilities for improvement smile.gif

I know, I am too critical on myself biggrin.gif

Hehehe, same here!
I'm never 100% happy with something I play, and that's all I can think of when I listen to myself tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 23 2008, 04:39 PM
Instructor
I think its essential to listen to your music because of two things :
1) How are you going to improve if you don't analyze your recordings?
2) How do you expect people to listen and enjoy your music if you dont ?

smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Dec 24 2008, 03:06 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Yes, I actually love to. I write what I want to hear played and when I get it close too right, I love to listen to my music. Then i find something I screwed up on and re-record it or something laugh.gif

Yes, I actually love to. I write what I want to hear played and when I get it close too right, I love to listen to my music. Then i find something I screwed up on and re-record it or something laugh.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 24 2008, 03:25 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Dec 23 2008, 10:39 AM) *
I think its essential to listen to your music because of two things :
1) How are you going to improve if you don't analyze your recordings?
2) How do you expect people to listen and enjoy your music if you dont ?

smile.gif

This is almost exactly what I was going to say and I couldn't agree more. But don't get to carried away with yourself. smile.gif

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 24 2008, 04:20 AM
yeah, I mean to further add on my first post... my first attempt at this lesson (version that I am talking about in my first post) was riddled with mistakes, because I am still a beginner and all, but I still loved listening to it...

now... about 24 hours later I completely re-did everything, changed some of the tones around... and got better at playing the piece all-together... and now I REALLY love listening to it...

I realize that I might not be as pleased with myself once I start making my own stuff more often... but man... I love playing guitar... (and hearing myself play too wink.gif )

-Chris

p.s. I'm going to post my take on Carlos' lesson in the uploads forum, go have a listen if you want...

This post has been edited by Ctodd: Dec 24 2008, 04:22 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 24 2008, 04:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
This is great news because it means you learned something. Recording yourself and listening to it is a very important step in your learning. It helped me quit a bit when I arrived here smile.gif and I think most would agree.

Congrats bro and I will look for your upload.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Tjchep
Dec 24 2008, 04:36 AM
Sure, I mean. It's fun to see all that handwork pay off and sit back and listen to it, and see if you really like it, if not you'll improve it until you do. (Sometimes tongue.gif) And with me, I don't really hear exactly what I play sometimes, so it's good to keepmyself in check.

But I like to watch my self play alot, because it's so funny to see the faces I make. smile.gif My buddies enjoy it too.

tj

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Ctodd
Dec 24 2008, 04:53 AM
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Dec 23 2008, 10:28 PM) *
This is great news because it means you learned something. Recording yourself and listening to it is a very important step in your learning. It helped me quit a bit when I arrived here smile.gif and I think most would agree.

Congrats bro and I will look for your upload.

ok, it took a while... But its in the Uploads forum now!

QUOTE (Tjchep @ Dec 23 2008, 10:36 PM) *
Sure, I mean. It's fun to see all that handwork pay off and sit back and listen to it, and see if you really like it, if not you'll improve it until you do. (Sometimes tongue.gif) And with me, I don't really hear exactly what I play sometimes, so it's good to keepmyself in check.

But I like to watch my self play alot, because it's so funny to see the faces I make. smile.gif My buddies enjoy it too.

tj

I think that might be the main reason I like listening to myself play... it was a lot of hard work to do this... it took me about 10 total hours, and to finally hear something that sounds awesome, (to me) is pretty cool

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 24 2008, 05:41 AM
Instructor
Thats great man, it means you are improving.
Sometimes it will be obvious improvement while others it will take more time. Either way you are on right track - if lessons are helping you develop , go for it wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 24 2008, 12:43 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I listen to my music all the time!! (of course not continuously) smile.gif I enjoy it very much..Also I couldn't wait for our CD to come out so I could jam to my music (as I would do with other bands cd's) smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:31 PM