> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

161 Pages V  « < 99 100 101 102 103 > »   
Phil66's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 23 2019, 05:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 19 2019, 04:04 PM) *
Thanks Gab,

The book deals with reaching your goals, coping with the ups and downs and how to focus energy and time into achieving them. I know you've achieved a lot with Cirse and your studio etc but, the reason I recommend this kind of thing to tutors is that it can help them tackle students' issues that they, themselves (the tutor) may not have come across before. As you know, I train people at work and I can always learn from them, I'm never too qualified to learn from a trainee, whether it's about the way they approach their challenges or if they come up with a way of doing something that I'd never thought of. Every day is a school day for me, one way or another and I often pass things on to other trainees that I have picked up from another. Trainees very often inspire me.

HERE is the book lowdown wink.gif

Speak very soon buddy.

UPDATE:

I thought I should give you a recording of my "singing" from day 1. This was so embarrassing to record and even more embarrassing to post laugh.gif laugh.gif I know singing is really a whole different ball game but for this training, we can call it that. This is just to see if this is how you want things done. I'm just doing C and D for now, I didn't do C D C just C D.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-d-take-1-19062019

Cheers

The book sounds sounds very interesting! Thanks for sharing. smile.gif

I'll give you feedback on each update in order. In this first singing audio, I notice that your pitch is very good when singing with Piano, but your second note gets a bit higher. Let's see what happens in the following samples.

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 20 2019, 05:06 PM) *
Further to the above post, here is tonight's ear training. I'm using the tuner to help when I'm not hitting the keys but, I am trying to hit the note first before looking, I found the E the hardest to get without the piano.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-d-c-e-take-1-20062019

Based on the last take (without piano), you are getting D note better. E note definitely needs work because it's far from the right pitch in this take. Checking the new take now...

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 21 2019, 04:47 PM) *
Further to the two posts above hear is tonight's session. I am using the tuner to confirm but I am finding that I am getting closer sooner, if that makes sense wink.gif

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-d-c-e-c-f-take-1-21062019

And without keyboard.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-d-c-e-c-f-take-1-no-keyboard-21062019

Cheers

Phil

Great! I can hear that your D and E notes are sounding good over Piano. E, and F needs more practice when singing alone. I have to say that this training has been a great decision! Be patient, and keep on practising. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 23 2019, 08:28 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Thanks Gab,

I've been away for a couple of days to the city where Robbie Williams was born and stayed over for the night. Yesterday we went HERE, which is a stunning place on a sunny day, there are many of THESE sculptures dotted around the gardens which were enchanting and took me back to being a big kid again laugh.gif , we also went HERE which was brilliant, a couple of parent monkeys walked practically over my feet with a very young baby and then sat down close by watching the baby play, it was brilliant.

Today we went HERE and had a ride on a steam train, it's great to hear those engines doing their paradiddles and working hard going up the gradients. The after lunch we went HERE.

Back to my practise. Obviously I'm still working on my blues guitar work, it's coming along slowly, I've noodled exclusively with the G shape pentatonic forever so it's a bit of a struggle to get the other shape to be so fluid along with the new shape not being as finger friendly, for me anyway.

Tonight I managed to go all the way up to A, kind of wink.gif For the most part, the initial note that came out kept the needle on the screen of my TM-50 displaying the correct note but on a lot of the notes the needle was all the way left or right, when I got to A and B, I was out of the zone. Definitely getting better though. I'll post less frequently now. I posted all of those so that you could get a feel for how far off my ear is.

Cheers

Phil

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2019, 06:20 AM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! Thanks for the update!

All those places look amazing! I know who will help me with the places where I should go when I visit Europe. biggrin.gif

What's up with those monkeys? They remind me to some that we have here at the north of the country. They are not bad, but they steal bags and other stuff looking for food. laugh.gif

Great to know that you are working on both your blues and ear training. Keep on the good job!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 25 2019, 10:40 AM
The 60 acre forest is a conservation project. In northern Africa where they are native, there environment is being reduced. They have reintroduced 600 of them into their natural habitat but can't place any more until their habitat is recovered. There are some on Gibraltar and they steal all kinds of things from tourists, bags, food, cameras etc.
wink.gif

Did you see this buddy? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=769321

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 25 2019, 02:50 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 25 2019, 03:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jun 25 2019, 06:40 AM) *
The 60 acre forest is a conservation project. In northern Africa where they are native, there environment is being reduced. They have reintroduced 600 of them into their natural habitat but can't place any more until their habitat is recovered. There are some on Gibraltar and they steal all kinds of things from tourists, bags, food, cameras etc.
wink.gif

Did you see this buddy? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=769321

Awesome!! haha so they are also Thieves! laugh.gif

I've just commented that post!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 25 2019, 09:07 PM
They are thieves in Gibraltar but they seem to ignore the visitors in the Monkey Forest.

With the note training, I'm getting better going along with the keyboard but when I get to A and B I really struggle. My voice seems to go into a YODEL and jumps to A# or Ab. I might try humming wink.gif

Here is an improv for you, it's not good and has made me realise something. See below this Soundcloud box for an explanation.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/a-maj-min-scales-over-a7-5-25062019

I've realised that I struggle to play licks that I know, over a different backing track to the one I learnt them with. For instance, I tried to incorporate some of the ideas in the Soundcloud file below to the backing track above but just hadn't got a clue. I know the tempo and key are different but it's pentatonic so I should be able to sort it.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/licks

Any ideas?

Cheers

Phil

UPDATE:
Sorry Gab, I know I'm not supposed to be concentrating on note choice and should be concentrating on the scale shapes but I can't help it huh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 25 2019, 09:35 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 26 2019, 04:00 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil, thanks for the audios!

Yes, I understand what you mean. It can be tricky to play the licks from the second audio over the first backing track because the tempo is very different, and even if you can do it, maybe the licks won't be recognisable.

I also think that your slow blues playing lacks some rhythm and phrasing development, however I feel that the best to become better at it would be to take licks and ideas from other guitarists playing at the same tempo. (by now, then you can transpose licks from faster tempos as you want).

Some inspiration:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/JamSch...lues-As-A-Tool/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 26 2019, 08:28 PM
Thanks Gab,

That Gilbert video is very inspiring but also very daunting to be honest. I've been trying to work licks together for some time now that cross over the chords, ie: Rather than playing individual licks and ending them before the chord change, I've tried to create licks that flow from chord change to chord change. I'm probably trying to run before I can walk, (as usual).

Here's another inspiring video. I really can't see how they do it. I'm hoping that as my ear develops, I'll be able to hear what's going on a little bit more. They seem to play long parts over many chord changes at many speeds blink.gif

https://youtu.be/DQ4REYdCkTw

English lesson.

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 26 2019, 03:00 PM) *
(by now, then you can transpose licks from faster tempos as you want).

Put a rubber band around your wrist and every time you find yourself saying "by now" twang it hard and say to yourself, "it's, FOR now, Gab, NOT by now" wink.gif https://www.kidzsearch.com/questions/11227/...-band-technique

Cheers buddy

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 26 2019, 08:29 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 27 2019, 02:25 PM
Instructor
Hahahhaaha "By now" again!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I'll need a tattoo in my hand that says "For now". rolleyes.gif

The video that I've shared is just for some rhythm inspiration. We are talking about one of the most amazing rock guitar players of all time. This shouldn't be daunting, it should be inspiring. smile.gif Don't worry about notes, get some of his rhythm work in your phrasing (the slower one, not the shreddy).

This one is also inspiring for rhythm. I think that I've already shared it but it's good to watch it again at this point.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jun 27 2019, 08:43 PM
Thanks Gab,

I think you have shared that Gilbert/East video before but it is great.
I feel that we have bricklayers and architects. Bricklayers lay bricks but can't design a home, architects design a home but can't lay bricks. People like Nathan East and Paul Gilbert and yourself can do both. ie, design the licks in their head and lay them down of the fretboard. At the moment I can lay a wonky wall following an architect's design but am struggling to come up with designs of my own. One day though, I will design and build my first single story, two-room home wink.gif

I played along with that video for a while tonight, to try and get some ideas.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/ideas-in-a-major

Okay, ear training is amazingly getting better albeit slowly, and I have to take a few minutes to tune in my head because I'm way off to start with. What do you think? This will make you chuckle in places.

https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/cdcecfcgca-27062019

English lesson:

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jun 27 2019, 01:25 PM) *
Hahahhaaha "By now" again!!!!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif I'll need a tattoo in my hand that says "For now". rolleyes.gif

This could just be a typo but I think it's more likely how you would directly translate from Spanish. "I'll need a tattoo in my hand that says..." should really be "I'll need a tattoo ON my hand that says....", if it was in your hand you would be holding it, or have it sitting in the palm of your hand.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jun 27 2019, 09:05 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 30 2019, 09:41 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!

I find that rhythm exploration very positive. Having a well trained ear and good sense of rhythm are essential things for a musician. So I think that your practice is complete if you can cover both elements in a guitar session.

Please continue doing this rhythm practice during one week, sometimes over metronome, other times over the backing track.

Your ear training also sounds good, I'm already hearing awesome progress in just a few days of practice, please keep going!

And thanks again for your English Practice. We have some issues with In and On because we only use one word for both purposes: "En". laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 1 2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks for your comments Gab, they are very encouraging smile.gif

When I recorded that guitar ideas thing, I was listening to the Gilbert/East jam at the same time and trying to emulate what they were doing, until it got too difficult but, it was giving me "live" ideas, they just seem to leave my head when playing alone.

With the ear training, I'm only giving it 5-10 minutes a day at the moment. I find my accuracy peaks after three minutes and then I start wondering off more. Its something I've never done before so I guess it's too be expected wink.gif

Regarding "in" and "on". You would use "in" if you were putting something inside something, eg: Put it in the bucket, put it in the cupboard, hold it in your hand. You would use "on" to put something onto or on top of something. Put the book on the table, put the hat on your head.

https://www.dailywritingtips.com/when-to-us...when-to-use-in/

Cheers
Phil

P. S. Did you see this post? https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=769418

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 1 2019, 09:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 2 2019, 12:54 PM
Instructor
Thanks Phil! Your practice plan sounds great! smile.gif

And thanks for the English clarification. I'm checking that thread now. wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 2 2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks Gab,

Here is an ear training sample, no rehearsal; no keyboard; just the tuner to help for notification. I don't think the tuner is cheating because mostly I'm not using it to reach pitch just to tell me the note. I'm a long long way off note recognition.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-b-no-keyboard-tuner-assist-only

And here is one with the keyboard and tuner done afterwards, apologies for the distortion, the pop filter was touching the mic.
https://soundcloud.com/gmcphil-1/c-b-with-keyboard-and-tuner-assist

Cheers

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2019, 04:21 PM
Instructor
Hi Phil!! This is awesome mate! You are getting very close my friend!

This is my feedback:

Audio 1:

C D: Very close, a bit flat.
C E: Close, a bit flat.
C F: Close, a bit flat.
C G: Sounds good.
C A: Flat.
C B: Needs work.

Audio 2:
C D: Good
C E: Insecure
C F: Very close
C G: Perfect
C A: Close
C B: Wrong

Let me know if this type of feedback helps. wink.gif smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 3 2019, 08:40 PM
Thanks for your feedback Gab, I appreciate it but I really don't want you to take your time up on it as I get instant feedback using my tuner, see below. You will chuckle at this one, it's the first time I have tried the octave above C blink.gif laugh.gif This was done completely fresh, no rehearsal, it sounds a little funny as I'm using the camera mic and I am behind the camera wink.gif

As you can see, I'm trying not to use the tuner to find the pitch until I'm way off, instead I use it to tell me the note I'm hitting as I wouldn't know from memory if the note I am hitting is a C,D,E,F,G,A or B, nor would I know if I was correct without the all knowing tuner.

https://youtu.be/hNcOMjWjcn0

I'll continue with my practise, I have a new little ear training challenge I want to try in a couple of days which I will record for you wink.gif It's the same thing really but a slight change in method.

Seeing improvement has to be the single most inspiring thing a student can have imho. There is nothing worse or more demoralising than not seeing any improvement and to feel like you are treading water. I'm really enjoying this and am still working on my phrasing in my playing etc. I'll get a recording of that to you hopefully at the weekend.

Cheers buddy.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 3 2019, 08:42 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 4 2019, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Great update Phil!! Thank you very much! smile.gif

Everything sounds great here, and the use of tuner is perfect for this application. I didn't think that it was that precise for singing. It's great!

Keep on the good job mate.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 4 2019, 08:52 PM
Thanks Gab,

I had a feeling you didn't know the tuner. It's a great little tuner, well worth recommending to students for ear training, the "sound back" function is probably useful but I need an adapter for my mic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRHEuoCnI74

Tonight I managed to sing the C octave. I also managed to sing from C to G pretty close but I struggle with A, B and C at the moment. It will come though, baby steps wink.gif

You know last night I said:................
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Jul 3 2019, 07:40 PM) *
Seeing improvement has to be the single most inspiring thing a student can have imho. There is nothing worse or more demoralising than not seeing any improvement and to feel like you are treading water.

Tonight while sitting with my wife in the garden, after dinner, reading that 1% Rule book, (it takes me a while to read a book, a few pages per day wink.gif ) I came across this, which I found uncanny after what I said last night.
"At the end of the day, there is no number of law-of-attraction meditations, inspirational social media quotes, dance-party seminars, or other forms of inspiration as powerful as the greatest motivational force on this planet:
Progress.
Or perceived progress.
As humans, we are natural inspectors. Whether we realize this consciously or not, we are always collecting data. If, after committing to a goal, outcome, or vision, we don’t see progress or perceived progress, we’ll quit. We won’t last the marathon if we’re not seeing the progress by mile seven. We won’t achieve the business goal if we don’t see some light at the end of the tunnel. Notice the words chosen: progress or perceived progress. It’s enough to believe progress is around the corner and on its way. All that matters is we feel progress, as this will keep us going long enough to see the results we’ve been waiting for.
"

© Tommy Baker: The 1% Rule

I really think it's a great book, I need to read it a couple of times more but I think as a tutor, it could help you understand students' issues with the dedication/motivation in a different way. I know you are already a good motivator and wise beyond your years, but this may put things in a different light wink.gif

Cheers buddy,

Onward and upward cool.gif

Phil

By the way, I went HERE last Saturday. You seem to like the places that I visit so I've shared wink.gif This is in the same area where Uli Jon Roth lives.

This post has been edited by Phil66: Jul 4 2019, 09:26 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2019, 02:17 PM
Instructor
That's a beautiful paragraph from the book... as beautiful as the place you've been. smile.gif

I can't agree more with the things that the author is saying there. That's why it's many people can play guitar but not many play it well. The first progress stage is very fast, however, then the progress stages need more effort and time to appear... however, we have to trust in practice since it always pays.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Phil66
Jul 6 2019, 09:01 PM
I agree Gab, but, as you know, I do struggle when at a standstill for a few weeks wink.gif

As you know, on Saturdays I only really have a quick maintenance practise but I am still going to give my full 5-10 minutes ear training. Tonight I tried with no keyboard. At first I couldn't even hit the C, after 5 minutes I managed a full CDCECFCGCAC and then the B and C octave were AWOL. I'm pretty pleased with that though. Each "correct" note was within the +/- 20 cents area so I'm please with myself for that.

Thank you for your kind comments in the collab, you may have noticed that a lot of influence was taken from the Gilbert/East jam and the facial expressions are embarrassing ohmy.gif laugh.gif

Today we went HERE and they had a display of the Cavendish Horses while we were there. Incredible respect between man and beast.

Speak soon buddy

Phil

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

161 Pages V  « < 99 100 101 102 103 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:15 AM