3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Which Guitar?
Matt23
Jul 10 2009, 06:14 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
My birthday is coming up, and my parents have offered to buy me a new guitar, around the £400 ($600) mark.

I've had a look at guitars and these three have caught my eye.

Epiphone Les Paul Custom

Fender Deluxe Lonestar Stratocaster

Parker PM20

I'd be interested to hear anything anyone knows about these guitars, and I'd especially like to know how well fender tremolos stay in tune, and if they can raise the pitch as well as lowering it.

I'm currently leaning towards the Parker, but I was a bit put off by the fact that it has no tone knob, but I never really use the tone knob anyway so I suppose it doesn't matter. Also I won't be able to ever try that guitar before I buy it. I like the Strat but from what I've heard it doesn't really have the punch for metal and hard rock, I'd like to be proved wrong though. With the Epiphone I think it has a good sound but it doesn't have single coils, or the ability to split its humbuckers. I don't use single coils all that much but I'd like to have the option.

If you have any suggestions of a completely different guitar then I'd also like to hear that. What I'm looking for is something around £400 (between $500 and $700). I mainly play rock/metal, but I'm playing more and more styles these days so I would like something quite versatile. The main reason I'm getting a new guitar is because my current one can't stay in tune for more than 5 minutes, so I'd like something that can hold tune well. If you can choose which guitar is best for those specifications then that'd be good to hear as well.

Any advice you can give though will be greatly appreciated.

Matt smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Matt23: Jul 10 2009, 06:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 11 2009, 04:41 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hmm... Three very cool guitars, but I guess I only have some experience with Epiphone and Fender... When looking for guitars, people I knew constantly discouraged me from buying the Epiphones, as they are a "wannabe" brand, but I've tried them and for the usually low prices, they have an outstanding sound. I just bought a Fender American Standard Stratocaster, and although I haven't had the opportunity to play on my (sucky) amplifier at home, I play it with no amp and the feel is amazing...

I guess I can't recommend any of the guitars as I have no concrete experience concerning any of them, so you should listen to the other more experienced guitarists in this community ! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jul 11 2009, 04:51 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (VictorUK @ Jul 11 2009, 05:47 AM) *
read teh reviews tongue.gif
but for looks i personally would go for the parker.

Well said... Personally I would go for the Epiphone or the Fender when it comes to look, but only if the finishes were different ! smile.gif To be honest, I have absolutely no experience when it comes to Parker guitar ! smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
jdriver
Jul 11 2009, 07:18 AM
GMC:er
Parkers are first class also.

There are so many Les Pauls, I wish someone would write a definitive guide the the hierarchy of Les Pauls. (hint hint, some knowlegeable Wikier!)

NoSkill just got a Parker like that, you might ask him how he likes it. Here's the thread:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=28736

This post has been edited by jdriver: Jul 11 2009, 07:21 AM

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 11 2009, 10:24 AM
Instructor
Hmm, tough choice really, but I would go for Strat here, seems like the best option available. It has good specs including 2 Texas Specials and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge. This alone will set you back for some ~200$ if you buy separately. I think it's a good guitar and I don't understand your question:"does it stay in tune". Other two guitars don't even have a tremolo, and this Strat does. It's a vintage trem, so it will probably go out of tune if you use it extensively, and do some big jumps, but you can also get it all the way down to the body, which will enable going downpitch and increase sustain. I see no problem with this guitar, probably the best choice here.
LP is good, but you have to buy another pickup that has coil switching and get it wired so you have a switch for coil tap. This will set you back some ~150$ probably, so count it in the price if you wanna have coil tap. You will have to drill the guitar as well.
Parker is cool looking and probably quality made, but a bit lacking of options and since you cannot try it, I really advise you don't consider it. You cannot buy guitar that you haven't tried at all, it's just doesn't work that way.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 11 2009, 10:31 AM
Learning Rock Star
I think Ivans nailed it in his post, the strat may not be ideal for metal, but so often metal guitars are only good for metal and the strat will excel in every other style! dont know the parker so cant comment but out of the other two the strat is far and away the better.
Another option you might consider are the G&L guitars by Leo Fender, I tried one last week and it absolutely blew me away in terms of the quality and materials used, far better than Fender USA guitars (gasp!) I will be trying a couple more and A/B ing them with strats before making a final decision though.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 11 2009, 10:59 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for all your advice guys.

read teh reviews

I have and there all very equally rated.

Hmm, tough choice really, but I would go for Strat here, seems like the best option available. It has good specs including 2 Texas Specials and Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates Plus in the bridge. This alone will set you back for some ~200$ if you buy separately.

I was quite impressed by that, but I've never been a big fan of SDs so I was thinking of replacing them with dimarzios when I had the money.

I think it's a good guitar and I don't understand your question:"does it stay in tune". Other two guitars don't even have a tremolo, and this Strat does. It's a vintage trem, so it will probably go out of tune if you use it extensively, and do some big jumps, but you can also get it all the way down to the body, which will enable going downpitch and increase sustain.

I meant when I use the tremolo, or even if I don't use the tremolo, will it go out of tune? If it does go out of tune when you use it then there isn't any point in it being there IMO.

LP is good, but you have to buy another pickup that has coil switching and get it wired so you have a switch for coil tap. This will set you back some ~150$ probably, so count it in the price if you wanna have coil tap. You will have to drill the guitar as well.

Truth is I would never bother installing coil taps on it, even if I had the money. I suppose it doesn't really matter much since I hardly use single coils, but it would be good to have the option.

Parker is cool looking and probably quality made, but a bit lacking of options and since you cannot try it, I really advise you don't consider it. You cannot buy guitar that you haven't tried at all, it's just doesn't work that way.

Hmm, from the start I've kinda had my heart set on the parker, but I guess its just not possible in scotland where you can't try one.

Another option you might consider are the G&L guitars by Leo Fender, I tried one last week and it absolutely blew me away in terms of the quality and materials used, far better than Fender USA guitars (gasp!) I will be trying a couple more and A/B ing them with strats before making a final decision though.

I looked at G&Ls in the price range and they all had 4 stars, and not so good reviews.

Again, thanks for all your advice guys, it's been a great help. smile.gif

+Quote Post
sted
Jul 11 2009, 11:05 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Jul 11 2009, 10:59 AM) *
I looked at G&Ls in the price range and they all had 4 stars, and not so good reviews.

Trust me mate, if you buy a strat you need to check out the usa versions of these guitars (not the tribute models), absolutely no way are fender better quality, you may prefer the fender sound but trust me on the quality issue.

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 11 2009, 11:13 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Schecter??

For that money, I would definatly go second hand! You can get a better guitar for the same money! You can (for instance) buy a second handed Ibanez SV, which you'll never get new for that price!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 11 2009, 11:16 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 11 2009, 11:13 AM) *
Schecter??

For that money, I would definatly go second hand! You can get a better guitar for the same money! You can (for instance) buy a second handed Ibanez SV, which you'll never get new for that price!

Well I already have an Ibanez, and I want an unmetal guitar, if you see what I mean. I want something that isn't locked into a particular style like Ibanez and Schecter. I'll have a look at second hand stuff, I never really thought about it but I might be able to get something a lot better that way.

+Quote Post
Toroso
Jul 11 2009, 11:33 AM
Well I already have an Ibanez, and I want an unmetal guitar, if you see what I mean.

Actually I don't understand that at all. This notion of a guitar being tied to a certain genre escapes me. Sure some pickups are hotter than others, but they all do the same thing. There has been a lot of metal produced with LPs and Strats. And maybe George Benson wouldn't play a Schecter, but I bet he could make some sweet tunes with one.

Just my opinion...

--------------------
Live well, and live often!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 11 2009, 11:42 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Toroso @ Jul 11 2009, 11:33 AM) *
Actually I don't understand that at all. This notion of a guitar being tied to a certain genre escapes me. Sure some pickups are hotter than others, but they all do the same thing. There has been a lot of metal produced with LPs and Strats. And maybe George Benson wouldn't play a Schecter, but I bet he could make some sweet tunes with one.

Just my opinion...

I don't deny that metal has been played with strats and lps, and I want a guitar that can do metal, but a lot of other styles have been produced with strats and lps, a lot more than have been done with schecters and ibanezs.

I just found a Parker PM-24v online, that looks absolutely perfect, at a reasonable price. Does anyone know anywhere in the UK where I could try one?

This may seem kinda random, but does anyone know how much it costs to ship a guitar to germany?

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Jul 11 2009, 12:30 PM
QUOTE (jdriver @ Jul 11 2009, 07:18 AM) *
There are so many Les Pauls, I wish someone would write a definitive guide the the hierarchy of Les Pauls. (hint hint, some knowlegeable Wikier!)

Great idea!!! I'll add it to my list!!!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Praetorian
Jul 11 2009, 04:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I would go for the Strat hands down. Just my opinion...but I am a huge Strat fan!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 11 2009, 04:37 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm actually really tempted to buy a Parker PM-24V, and if it isn't good then I'll just have to pay the return shipping, which I think will only be about £20. If the parker doesn't work out then I'll probably go for the strat since everyone here seems to think its good.

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 11 2009, 10:28 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Just read a few things about the Parker PM-24V's tremolo going out of tune easily. Which is a real shame cos it looked like such a good guitar.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 11 2009, 11:52 PM
Instructor
I've read that this Strat has very stable tuning, but who knows...

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Marc_Maiden
Jul 12 2009, 07:27 AM
any non locking trem will go out of tune if you dont know how to compensate for it

small things like getting a bone or graphtech nut will improve tuning more than anything (even more than locking tuners)

if it gets set up properly, you will have no problem with either guitar

--------------------
- Marc
Current Set up:
Atomic Reactor 2x12 Cab/power amp with a Digitech rp1000 as a preamp
Schecter c1 plus electric guitar

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 12 2009, 09:24 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Marc_Maiden @ Jul 12 2009, 07:27 AM) *
any non locking trem will go out of tune if you dont know how to compensate for it

small things like getting a bone or graphtech nut will improve tuning more than anything (even more than locking tuners)

if it gets set up properly, you will have no problem with either guitar

How much do you think this whole set-up to stop it going out of tune would cost. And is there any reason why it wouldn't work with my ibanez?

+Quote Post
NoSkill
Jul 12 2009, 04:52 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
The Parker is a really sweet beast. I have the PM20Pro. The major difference is Seymour Duncan pickups from the Parker Stingers in the PM20. I've only owned the guitar a week though, and it was setup badly so it's been finicky so far. The tone, however is amazing and the guitar is VERY light. Mine is 6.0 pounds. My Strats are all 8.2 pounds on my scale.

Both the Epiphone and Parker are Les Paul'ish, with the Epiphone being a true Les Paul shape. This makes pickup selector switch above the strings, vs, below and only a single cutaway which makes playing the high frets different. Not harder, just different. So, it depends on your comfort level.

The Parker you show in your picture is not the new PM20, by the way. The new one has a more Schecter like headstock and has volume and tone pots for each pickup. The one in the picture has coil taps push pull pots for both pickups and has an impressive versatility in the tones you can make.

The Strat has quite a variety of tones with its pickup arrangement as well. The Epiphone would be the least versatile on this issue.

The trem in the Fender is not good for dive bombing, like a Floyd. It can be sprung to go either way, but it's much more subtle for trem than the Floyd Rose type trems. If you are cranking on it, you may find that you are not using it as it was designed.

Just some thoughts.

--------------------

Still looking for my soul mate, guitar.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:37 AM