Drum Softwares
aerohit
Jun 11 2007, 01:39 PM
GMC:er
Hey I was wondering how to create drum tracks which sound realistic as well. For open source guys I found something 'Rhythm Rascal'. If you could forgive the sound quality (though you could download better sounding wave samples from the net) this seems to be an excellent thing.

I was wondering if there are better ways for producing drum tracks. I know that Pavel endorses 'Addictive drums' and Andrew 'EZDrummer'. But I would like to know if there are other options available in the market so that i could compare the prices before getting anything. Of course a 'free method' would be always welcome smile.gif.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

-Vincent Van Gogh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
MickeM
Jun 11 2007, 02:14 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (aerohit @ Jun 11 2007, 02:39 PM) *
Hey I was wondering how to create drum tracks which sound realistic as well. For open source guys I found something 'Rhythm Rascal'. If you could forgive the sound quality (though you could download better sounding wave samples from the net) this seems to be an excellent thing.

I was wondering if there are better ways for producing drum tracks. I know that Pavel endorses 'Addictive drums' and Andrew 'EZDrummer'. But I would like to know if there are other options available in the market so that i could compare the prices before getting anything. Of course a 'free method' would be always welcome smile.gif.

Well, you can download the demo of Addicted drums, it has no time limit to it. It contains a limited set of drums and limited number of MIDI files which is the cut back with the demo. But as said, use if for as long as you like, for free.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 11 2007, 02:17 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (aerohit @ Jun 11 2007, 08:39 AM) *

One thing to be careful of - Both Addictive Drums and EZDrummer are meant to work with multitrack recording software like Cubase or Reaper - Rythm Rascal is more like a software drum machine. They are really 2 different things. If you just want a drum track to play with, Rythm Rascal looks good. If you want to built full backing tracks, and completed songs you need to be looking at the whole multitrack recording thing.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
aerohit
Jun 11 2007, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the reply. Andrew, what I eventually set out for was a simple thing that could produce drum tracks and Rhythm Rascal seemed to be fine. But then I heard the sound quality of these bitches (EZ Drummer and Addictive drums) and also Battery 3, and I do not like 'Rhythm Rascal' anymore. And as far as the problem for a VSTi host goes I found 'Cantabile', again a freeware.

And MickeM its as u said "limited" sad.gif.

As I have already said in the previous post, RR is an excellent thing to live with if you could forgive the sound quality. You could produce entire songs (drum parts only) even if there are changes in tempo's or if you have to change from quarter notes to triplets, it can handle everything and is really really easy to use. I would recommend everybody who doesn't have a metronome or a drum machine to try it once.

But on the contrary, after having bitten the forbidden fruit, I would like to know if there are other means or methods. So please keep replying.

This post has been edited by aerohit: Jun 11 2007, 03:20 PM

--------------------
If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.

-Vincent Van Gogh

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jun 11 2007, 03:33 PM
QUOTE (aerohit @ Jun 11 2007, 10:13 AM) *
Thanks for the reply. Andrew, what I eventually set out for was a simple thing that could produce drum tracks and Rhythm Rascal seemed to be fine. But then I heard the sound quality of these bitches (EZ Drummer and Addictive drums) and also Battery 3, and I do not like 'Rhythm Rascal' anymore. And as far as the problem for a VSTi host goes I found 'Cantabile', again a freeware.

And MickeM its as u said "limited" sad.gif.

As I have already said in the previous post, RR is an excellent thing to live with if you could forgive the sound quality. You could produce entire songs (drum parts only) even if there are changes in tempo's or if you have to change from quarter notes to triplets, it can handle everything and is really really easy to use. I would recommend everybody who doesn't have a metronome or a drum machine to try it once.

But on the contrary, after having bitten the forbidden fruit, I would like to know if there are other means or methods. So please keep replying.

If you want to go down that route, also check out Reaper - http://reaper.fm/ an extremely fully featured multitrack recorder - I now use it instead of Cubase, and the best bit is that is has an uncripled unlimited demo, and costs only $40 to register. Of course you still need to buy EZD or Addicitive drums to use with it, and probably a bass VST like Broomstick Bass, but this route gives you the potential to start simple making backing tracks, then later on to build profesional quality multitrack recordings.

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 10:24 AM
$250 for Addictive Drums, how much for EZDrums? can you provide a link please Andrew or someone.

Well i guess Addictive must be worth that price. Having a listen on the site, it sounded so real! But I bet its hard as hell to use. Or is it? smile.gif Pavel!

- Hemlok

Never mind i found the "EZDrummer" website. I was searching EZDrums not EZDrummer, but i am sorted now smile.gif

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 13 2007, 11:05 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 11:07 AM
Ok I think i might purchase Addictive Drums.

Come on give me a reason not to! argh $250 thats a good reason

oh make that $250 US! and US postage... OOH MUMMA!

tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 13 2007, 11:08 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 13 2007, 01:27 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 13 2007, 06:07 AM) *
Ok I think i might purchase Addictive Drums.

Come on give me a reason not to! argh $250 thats a good reason

oh make that $250 US! and US postage... OOH MUMMA!

tongue.gif

EZdrummer comes with a lot of different expansion packs, but to be honest eaither would be cool (I know Pavel prefers Addictive drums smile.gif) I stick with EZDrummer because it sounds great and I have bought a lot of expansion packs (Latin percusasion, Drumkit from Hell, Vintage rock). I do a lot of differentmusic styles and the variety helps me.

Regards,

Andrew

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 02:42 PM
Okay thanks Andrew... I am going to have to sit and think about this for the rest of the weekend before i lash out and buy one tongue.gif

P.S do you pretty much just create your drum backings or do you select premade loops and edit them to your liking? Is there a large range of premade loops to choose from?

This post has been edited by Hemlok: Jul 13 2007, 02:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 13 2007, 04:04 PM
QUOTE (Hemlok @ Jul 13 2007, 09:42 AM) *
Okay thanks Andrew... I am going to have to sit and think about this for the rest of the weekend before i lash out and buy one tongue.gif
P.S do you pretty much just create your drum backings or do you select premade loops and edit them to your liking? Is there a large range of premade loops to choose from?

Both programs have premade patterns which is the best thing about them. YOu can program your own patterns of course by adding individual midi notes and sometimes that is best, but you can but together a whole sopng complete with beat changes breaks and all very quickly just by clicking and dragging.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 04:36 PM
Hmm ok, at this point im leaning towards Addictive Drums. I downloaded the demo... unfortunately i downloaded the demo for Mac tongue.gif so that was pointless. But I like the sound of it better. smile.gif thanks for the reply Andrew!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt
Jul 13 2007, 04:39 PM
well its illegal.. but ############ and ################ are worth a try

im only 14 and there was noway i was gona get my parents to spend $400 aud on something that to them just makes drum sounds. So i got it for free with the metal and jazz expansions tongue.gif

Edited for illegal software reference - Andrew

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jul 13 2007, 05:18 PM

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
Hemlok
Jul 13 2007, 04:42 PM
Yes it sure is illegal Matt.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt
Jul 13 2007, 04:50 PM
once i actually get a job i would be glad to purchase it, just for now its basically impossible

--------------------
"Keep Bleeding On 'Til The Day You Die, Forever Love it Loud" - Black Label Society

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 16 2007, 04:45 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I still use Native's Battery (V1 not upgraded to V3). Might not be ideal but it does have a stand alone mode so you don't have to use Cubase etc - though you still need some way of running the midi drum file you write dry.gif - also helps if you have a midi instrument to program the beats/patterns.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Sircraigery
Jul 17 2007, 08:23 AM
I would look at a program called Fruity Loops. It's easy to use and gives you a decent choice for drums.

It's really a program for making techno i think, but the drums are pretty good. If your looking to make sort of an industrial style music it'll be the cats ass.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez Prestige RG2610E [BKP Cold Sweat]
Ibanez Prestige RG2550E [Carbon Fiber Plastics]
Ibanez Roadstar II RS-135 [Stock]
Quest Acoustic [Stock]

Effects:
Electro-Harmonix Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Boss DR-3 Dr. Rhythym

Amp:
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

'Only the dead have seen the end of the war.' - Plato

+Quote Post
Niels
Jul 17 2007, 08:44 AM
When I'm looking for a drum just to play with, I will rip it off from a Guitar Pro/Midi file. I agree that it's not the best quality, but it works. I'm sure there are plenty MIDI tools that can remove the other tracks

--------------------
My gear:
-Ibanez RG320dxfm-TG
-Richwood strat
-Effects: Boss ME-70, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS-7
-Amp: Cheap old Fender H.O.T.

+Quote Post
ballistic31
Jul 17 2007, 10:44 AM
well i have gone thru about every drum program on the planet........I am i guess what you would a daw program junky lol to say the least..........I would spend the money and get ez drummer.......the drum kit from hell kicks some seriouse ass......... thats what i use along with a few other expantion packs they offer..........1 more good one is PC drummer pro its alot cheeper but it dont skimp on the quality of sound,, you can down load a demo to try it out for free........at pc drummer.com.....I also use that program as well and it is very stable..........thats a good thing to have when working with these programs,,,,,trust me on this.........I have slapped more hard drives in this puter than stars in the sky due to putter crashes from unstable hardwear... hope this helps.................both programs are fully programable.......and if you dont know how to play drums.......take a few free online lessons...................it will be much needed for complicated song programing like breaks and rolls .............and half times..............best of luck

--------------------
[size=3][b]

+Quote Post
JCJXXL
Jul 17 2007, 02:13 PM
I'm a huge fan of EZ Drummer (Thanks Andrew!) and the expansion packs are awesome. Neve tried Addictive Drums. I find EZ Drummer easy to use and the sound quality is great!

Has anyone heard of BFD? I was doing some reading on it this morning. Never tried it. Has anyone tried it and have any feedback on it?

CODE
http://www.fxpansion.com/index.php?page=30

This post has been edited by JCJXXL: Jul 17 2007, 02:19 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 22 2007, 11:14 PM
Instructor
I haven't used those softwares. Are it's samples/Drum sound good? I use Reason's Rythm Machine to build loops and as a sampler. I have lots of drum wav and aif samples, and I build my drum kits with that software. I use Nuendo and Reason working togheter as a Music Production tool and I feel very comfortable with it. It's very complete.

gabriel.-

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:14 PM