Help On Practcing
Carmine Marotta
Jul 2 2014, 01:31 PM
GMC:er
Hi gang
Granted that for learning we need commitment, devotion, practice patience and so on... however which software tools do you use that help your learning?
I use a lot GoPlayAlong and Guitar Pro (the latter has a big chords and scales library) Video Surgeons to slow down videos downloaded from You Tube, Enounce My Speed to slow down lessons from GMC, Audacity with Chordino for MP3.

What about you?

Thanks
Carmine

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
PosterBoy
Jul 2 2014, 02:07 PM
Learning Roadie
A fantastic piece of software I use, is Neck Diagrams. You can create and organise your scale patterns, arpeggio patterns in a really professional looking way, much easier than how I used to do it with pen and paper.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 2 2014, 02:47 PM
Instructor
The main software that I use for practice is my paper notepad:

Attached Image

You will identify some GMC lessons there! There I write down and organize my guitar routines, things to work, songs in progress and everything related to my guitar playing. I also write there future ideas and goals which I try to achieve with my weekly tasks. It's awesome how much effective our time can become when we write down the things we have to do to achieve our objectives.

Regarding software, I'm a very old school guys, I just use a daw and other stuff for composing and recording but not for practicing. For practicing it's enough with metronome, drum loops and backing tracks for me. I used to learn shred songs from cassettes so I can live without slower down software and tabs. biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 3 2014, 07:18 AM
Instructor
That makes me and Gabi, two old geezers laugh.gif I also use my paper notepad for the exact same purposes as he does biggrin.gif And a little software called The Amazing Slowdowner - this one helps me slow down pieces so I can sort them out by ear, change pitches if I want to practice some piece with a certain guitar that is tuned otherwise than standard tuning and I want to keep the standard positions, or simply practice speed in the context of a certain piece. I slow it down and gradually speed up as I become more and more able to play that certain piece of music at that certain speed smile.gif Otherwise, I don't use anything else related to software, in respect to practicing, but I use the metronome and backing tracks of course smile.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: Jul 3 2014, 07:19 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2014, 01:38 AM
I"m a bit of a hybrid smile.gif I keep a notepad as well but mostly to remind me of bits and pieces. I will rememeber some bit to practice during a session and jot them down before they slip my mind wink.gif I use guitar pro a bunch but I don't pull a Lucas Mann and pretend I"m playing when it's midi sad.gif I really like how you can slow things down in guitar pro and it's great for teaching!

QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 3 2014, 02:18 AM) *
That makes me and Gabi, two old geezers laugh.gif I also use my paper notepad for the exact same purposes as he does biggrin.gif And a little software called The Amazing Slowdowner - this one helps me slow down pieces so I can sort them out by ear, change pitches if I want to practice some piece with a certain guitar that is tuned otherwise than standard tuning and I want to keep the standard positions, or simply practice speed in the context of a certain piece. I slow it down and gradually speed up as I become more and more able to play that certain piece of music at that certain speed smile.gif Otherwise, I don't use anything else related to software, in respect to practicing, but I use the metronome and backing tracks of course smile.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jul 4 2014, 02:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 4 2014, 01:38 AM) *
I use guitar pro a bunch but I don't pull a Lucas Mann and pretend I"m playing when it's midi

sure you don't cool.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 4 2014, 08:11 AM
Learning Roadie
I use the poor persons version of Guitar Pro, Tuxguitar, it's really helpful for me to jot down idea's and you start to slowly learn about rhythm notation (which to me is the hardest thing about reading music)

The important thing is not to get so carried away with some of the tools that you are learning them more than the guitar!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
bleez
Jul 4 2014, 08:30 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I only really use reaper. I can slow stuff down and keep the pitch with that and then just play along with backing tracks or a metronome.

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 4 2014, 02:55 AM) *
sure you don't cool.gif

LOL! laugh.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 4 2014, 09:52 AM
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 4 2014, 08:11 AM) *
The important thing is not to get so carried away with some of the tools that you are learning them more than the guitar!

That's very right!. I can see this also with recording. I see video clips just done for the joy of using mixers and video editing tools more than for the music, which should be the ultimate goal.

Carmine

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 4 2014, 11:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 4 2014, 08:52 AM) *
That's very right!. I can see this also with recording. I see video clips just done for the joy of using mixers and video editing tools more than for the music, which should be the ultimate goal.

Carmine

Well, it all depends how much of a sound manipulation guy you are - I for one love what some folks are able to pull off on their computers using pluggins and all that, but to be honest, I would get lost quickly. I like playing the guitar and that reflects in a pretty organic sound I enjoy using. The simpler, the better biggrin.gif As you say, the music has to do the talking, but if the 'music's coat' is a refined one, I have nothing against it.

I think it's a matter of taste and the way in which we have grown up smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 6 2014, 04:52 AM
Unless I"m making a demo for CRSN!! smile.gif

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jul 3 2014, 09:55 PM) *
sure you don't cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 7 2014, 07:09 AM
Instructor
Hello Carmine! How is practicing going, my friend?

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 7 2014, 01:49 PM
Quite well, Cosmin; thanks for asking.
I am working on my guitar teacher assignment: Stormy Monday for rythm and the first solo of All Along the Watchtower and Confortably Numb for lead. So no much time left for GMC at the moment.

Regards
Carmine

This post has been edited by Carmine Marotta: Jul 7 2014, 01:54 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 7 2014, 03:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 7 2014, 09:49 AM) *
Quite well, Cosmin; thanks for asking.
I am working on my guitar teacher assignment: Stormy Monday for rythm and the first solo of All Along the Watchtower and Confortably Numb for lead. So no much time left for GMC at the moment.

Regards
Carmine

Interesting stuff Carmine! Are you learning the songs by ear?

It would be very useful if you practice the lessons using backing tracks to feel like playing them in a real band. It's also useful to take the concepts and scales used in the original solos and create your own variations and improvisations.

Here are some that I found:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 7 2014, 07:36 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 7 2014, 03:48 PM) *
Interesting stuff Carmine! Are you learning the songs by ear?

It would be very useful if you practice the lessons using backing tracks to feel like playing them in a real band. It's also useful to take the concepts and scales used in the original solos and create your own variations and improvisations.

HI Gabriel and thanks. It is vey nice that instructors at GMC give suggestions on every aspect of learning and not only on their own lesson and I really appreciate this.

Regarding your question; for rhythm/chords lessons my teacher pick up a song, gave my the chords progression and a basic rhythm. Then I practice the song using big open chords or "usual" bar chords against a backing track. Once I know well the progression and internalize the rhythm the fun begins. I have to play the song using small voicing chords, triads and/or inversions, up to the guitar neck. Then from the small voicing I add embellishment Hendrix style. At the end I put all together playing against the original record. I need a lot of time but a big satisfaction at the end of the process.

After all this I should be able to play Beginner lessons here at GMC but I still struggle with them mad.gif

Once again thanks,
Carmine

This post has been edited by Carmine Marotta: Jul 7 2014, 07:38 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 8 2014, 04:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 7 2014, 03:36 PM) *
HI Gabriel and thanks. It is vey nice that instructors at GMC give suggestions on every aspect of learning and not only on their own lesson and I really appreciate this.

Regarding your question; for rhythm/chords lessons my teacher pick up a song, gave my the chords progression and a basic rhythm. Then I practice the song using big open chords or "usual" bar chords against a backing track. Once I know well the progression and internalize the rhythm the fun begins. I have to play the song using small voicing chords, triads and/or inversions, up to the guitar neck. Then from the small voicing I add embellishment Hendrix style. At the end I put all together playing against the original record. I need a lot of time but a big satisfaction at the end of the process.

After all this I should be able to play Beginner lessons here at GMC but I still struggle with them mad.gif

Once again thanks,
Carmine

That's really cool Carmine! It's a very complete workout for learning songs. However, I'm confused. That workout that includes chords, triads, small voicing, seems to be advanced. Which beginner's corner lessons are giving you problems?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 8 2014, 09:06 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 8 2014, 03:22 AM) *
That's really cool Carmine! It's a very complete workout for learning songs. However, I'm confused. That workout that includes chords, triads, small voicing, seems to be advanced. Which beginner's corner lessons are giving you problems?

I am curious in respect to the same thing smile.gif Your drills outside GMC seem to be far more complex and difficult. Is it the fact that you are learning songs you know bringing more satisfaction? GMC lessons will prove valuable instruments in your full song learning process, as they encompass techniques and musical elements that are found in a lot of songs.

All the best, man smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 8 2014, 02:04 PM
Cosmin, Gab,
I am puzzled by this as well.

Carmine

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 8 2014, 03:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Carmine Marotta @ Jul 8 2014, 01:04 PM) *
Cosmin, Gab,
I am puzzled by this as well.

Carmine

I think it's the instant gratification thing smile.gif Usually, we like to learn fast and know how to play something after we have learned a certain piece or so. Maybe learning songs has that effect on you - I think it's all a matter of becoming conscious of the process of learning and what it really means.

New info -> understanding -> learning-> assimilating-> reproducing-> using into a context

I think you want to jump to fast at the final level and when it's not that easy, you feel a bit drawn back. Am I wrong? It's just an assumption, as I am trying to figure out how to help you better smile.gif Please let me know wink.gif

+Quote Post
Carmine Marotta
Jul 8 2014, 03:43 PM
I guess that I can not play songs note by note and there is a lot of individuality in there, while lessons should be played like they are

Carmine

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:00 AM