Do You Really Need Audio Monitors?
Todd Simpson
May 22 2020, 03:12 AM
GMC:er
Can you mix with just headphones? Do you really need audio monitors? Can you mix on just standard stereo speakers? How about ear buds? I'll bet most folks have mixed on ear buds at some point. I'm guilty of that as well smile.gif We've all done it at some point. How about mixing on the little speakers on your laptop? This is probably the worst audio sin of all. Yet, we all have at least checked a mix on laptop speakers. What were your first pair of monitors? Would you use them today?

WHO MIXES WITH JUST HEAD PHONES HERE ON GMC?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 22 2020, 04:04 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
May 22 2020, 01:45 PM
Instructor
Cool video! I use both audio monitors and headphones for mixing.

On a side note, I wonder if Cellphone speaker are also a reference for final details when doing stuff that will be played specifically on insta and facebook. EQ and levels are perceived a bit different from cellphone speakers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
May 22 2020, 04:25 PM
GMC Founder
Agreed, when you reference listen on a phone- you realise you have gotta make sure to have some high end on bass guitar and kick drum!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 22 2020, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
Good point! These days, so many folks listen on a cell phone speaker that it's probably a good idea to at least test a mix on a cell phone speaker just to see how it sounds. Same with ear buds, they are how many people listen to music, so it's worth testing on them.

quote name='Gabriel Leopardi' date='May 22 2020, 08:45 AM' post='777693']
Cool video! I use both audio monitors and headphones for mixing.

On a side note, I wonder if Cellphone speaker are also a reference for final details when doing stuff that will be played specifically on insta and facebook. EQ and levels are perceived a bit different from cellphone speakers.
[/quote]

If it sounds ok on a cell phone speaker, then your mix will translate to almost any playback device! Getting this to sound good on cell phone speakers is really tough.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ May 22 2020, 11:25 AM) *
Agreed, when you reference listen on a phone- you realise you have gotta make sure to have some high end on bass guitar and kick drum!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 12:36 PM