2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Comparing Your Self With The Others
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 29 2008, 01:29 PM
Singing Instructor
Hi guys I am interested did you evere compare your self with the other guitarist/bassist/singers/drummers...
and how did that effect you...I think that that can be two way road...I one way it is good...becouse that is the good way for you to improve your self if you look up to some body...and another is when you do it to much and become obsessed..and you and your style of playing/singing becomes more and more just a copy...
so what do you thin on this subejct...or any personal expiriance....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 29 2008, 01:32 PM
GMC:er
I always wanted to be Kurt Cobain on guitar but when I could play every Nirvana song I just went from there. There isn't much of Kurt's style left in me anymore sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
steve25
Feb 29 2008, 01:33 PM
Well i don't have the problem of copying someone else because i like so many players, so many different bands and lots of different styles. So i can't be all of them at the same time. I havne't really started to look into their styles though not yet

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 29 2008, 01:35 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 29 2008, 01:32 PM) *
I always wanted to be Kurt Cobain on guitar but when I could play every Nirvana song I just went from there. There isn't much of Kurt's style left in me anymore sad.gif

dont be sad...even if your play is better...you did learn trough that period of Nirvana...it is alwas good to go on if you make somet thing posible for you to play....smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Feb 29 2008, 02:00 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ive never been one to compare, if I see a great guitarist I think "wow this is cool", and try to take some ideas from him/her into my own playing smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Feb 29 2008, 02:04 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Feb 29 2008, 03:00 PM) *
Ive never been one to compare, if I see a great guitarist I think "wow this is cool", and try to take some ideas from him/her into my own playing smile.gif

I do the same thing, try to add little things to my playing from others. When I see a good guitarist in youtube, just by watching him play I try to take some ideas to my own playing smile.gif That has affected my style of playing guitar a lot, just watching people play smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Feb 29 2008, 02:07 PM
Instructor
Same here.. i try to borrow elements i like and change them into my own style from most of the good ones, but not always with success smile.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: Feb 29 2008, 02:08 PM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 29 2008, 02:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Everybody have their influences..Of course its bad to really imitate others type of play and I think that can be really easy to spot in singing..But than again its ok for me to be influenced by others (not in a obsessed kind of way) and often that person is influenced by some other musician and "copied" his style when he started to play and so on..I guess its how music evolves. wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Marcus Lavendell
Feb 29 2008, 02:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 29 2008, 01:32 PM) *

+1 That's my story as well biggrin.gif

--------------------
I use Elixir® Strings

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
Feb 29 2008, 02:34 PM
QUOTE (lavendell @ Feb 29 2008, 01:26 PM) *
+1 That's my story as well biggrin.gif

My name Organised Confusion on here is from a demo Kurt Cobain did before Nirvana. But I still love Nirvana but I progressed past that style and I'm trying to be good at lots of different styles now smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 29 2008, 03:14 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (OrganisedConfusion @ Feb 29 2008, 02:34 PM) *
My name Organised Confusion on here is from a demo Kurt Cobain did before Nirvana. But I still love Nirvana but I progressed past that style and I'm trying to be good at lots of different styles now smile.gif

we have a real fan of Niravana here.. smile.gif
great I am glad that you want to leran from every body and every style...that is the wright direction

--------------------

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Feb 29 2008, 03:16 PM
I really can't compare myself to anybody.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Feb 29 2008, 03:30 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Feb 29 2008, 02:16 PM) *
I really can't compare myself to anybody.

No I`m not sure I can either, when I first started out I wanted to sound like a few different people, I wouldnt have a clue who I`d compare myself too now.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Pavel
Feb 29 2008, 03:37 PM
Instructor
First i wanted to play the exact same music Steve Vai does, but now i moved on and i am mixing 2 of my favorite styles, instrumental shred and symphonic metal. That makes the most of my solo work today. Of course in my lessons you can here more styles than just that - so in general i experiment a lot but still staying closer to metal.

As of actual guitarists: Rusty and Luca Turilli are the 2 guys i take my inspiration from smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Feb 29 2008, 04:10 PM
Instructor
It's hard to hide influences,no doubt there.
To compare yourself with other players,that's fine too imho,
you seek higher goals,explore more etc.
Imitation isn't greatest thing but that's a profession as well,being imitator.
Find your way throughout the jungle but keep enjoying what you do. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Feb 29 2008, 04:16 PM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Muris @ Feb 29 2008, 04:10 PM) *
It's hard to hide influences,no doubt there.
To compare yourself with other players,that's fine too imho,
you seek higher goals,explore more etc.
Imitation isn't greatest thing but that's a profession as well,being imitator.
Find your way throughout the jungle but keep enjoying what you do. smile.gif

well said Muris...

--------------------

+Quote Post
fatb0t
Mar 1 2008, 02:21 AM
I find another problem with comparing yourself to other players. often it's discouraging!. You'll hear some cat really getting down, it's hard to not think "wow, I'll never sound like that"
Just gotta keep on practicing!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Mar 1 2008, 02:42 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
I don't really focus on one player or style. To me it is about how the music makes me feel and the tone and emotion of an artist. If it sounds good and moves me then I want to learn it. Don't care if it is Country, Blues, Rock, Shred.

I just love a great player who expresses himself in a complete way.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Mar 1 2008, 02:46 AM
There's lots of guitarists I love to listen to and use for inspiration. But as far as comparisons go, the only person I'm interested in beating is myself from 6 months ago wink.gif

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Mar 1 2008, 11:09 AM
Singing Instructor
QUOTE (Resurrection @ Mar 1 2008, 02:46 AM) *
There's lots of guitarists I love to listen to and use for inspiration. But as far as comparisons go, the only person I'm interested in beating is myself from 6 months ago wink.gif

smile.gif good luck with that...

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:36 PM