Ngd Carvin Dc 400, From the back of the closet
AK Rich
Sep 20 2017, 07:55 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
I ran into this one today while checking out a new coffee shop in the area that I had seen a flyer for advertising a blues jam night. I thought it was a beautiful guitar but wasn't really thinking too much about buying it even after the original owner told me what he might sell it for, which I thought was a pretty good price. The thing that really made me want to buy it was when I picked it up and started playing it for about an hour. biggrin.gif This guitar just feels great in my hands. In fact my Prestige may have to take a back seat to it. The owner told me it was bought in 1999 and that for most of that time it has been sitting in the back of his closet and it looks it. The frets show no wear at all really.
The 2 humbuckers can be coil split and another toggle switches the phase. The volume knob is a push/pull that controls whether the pickups are passive or active so the guitar is very versatile. I wasn't really looking for another guitar but this one found me and I just couldn't pass it up.

Oops. Sorry, I meant to post this is in the Gear and Production section. Maybe admin can move it?

Attached Image
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Sep 20 2017, 08:28 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
HaveGuitar
Sep 20 2017, 08:49 AM
GMC:er
Looks great and if it plays great... one is allways in danger. Or at least your economy is! smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 20 2017, 09:35 AM
Congrats!

I keep hearing great things about carvin's but haven't had the chance to play one yet. My guitar tech. always bores me of how he made the mistake of selling his Carvin many years ago biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 20 2017, 01:35 PM
Sweet find Rich!
I've had a hankering for a Carvin for a long time ever since working on one and then playing it for a while. Unfortunately I've never found the right one at the right price over here as they are quite a rarity over here!!
smile.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
bleez
Sep 20 2017, 04:43 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
that is awesome biggrin.gif congrats. The flame cap looks killer.
Are these neck-thru models?

QUOTE (AK Rich @ Sep 20 2017, 07:55 AM) *
The volume knob is a push/pull that controls whether the pickups are passive or active

LOL! I didnt even know that was a thing you could have! How cool is that smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 20 2017, 05:16 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (HaveGuitar @ Sep 19 2017, 11:49 PM) *
Looks great and if it plays great... one is allways in danger. Or at least your economy is! smile.gif

Hahaa yeah. The thing is, I just happened to have a wad of cash in my pocket since I had just sold my old plow truck.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 20 2017, 12:35 AM) *
Congrats!

I keep hearing great things about carvin's but haven't had the chance to play one yet. My guitar tech. always bores me of how he made the mistake of selling his Carvin many years ago biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Sep 20 2017, 04:35 AM) *
Sweet find Rich!
I've had a hankering for a Carvin for a long time ever since working on one and then playing it for a while. Unfortunately I've never found the right one at the right price over here as they are quite a rarity over here!!
smile.gif

Thank's guys. You don't see many of them around here either. At least I haven't. I knew a guy back in the late 80's that had one that I had played a few times but that is the only other Carvin I have seen or played.
It seems they may have a pretty good resale value after finding these on ebay. Or at least folks are proud of them.
I paid $500 for this one. smile.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USED-free-shipping...40AAOSwZ35ZlvJ3

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&a...00&_sacat=0

QUOTE (bleez @ Sep 20 2017, 07:43 AM) *
that is awesome biggrin.gif congrats. The flame cap looks killer.
Are these neck-thru models?

LOL! I didnt even know that was a thing you could have! How cool is that smile.gif

Thanks Bleez. Yes it is neck thru. Here are a few more shots.
Also I found this ad from 99.
http://www.carvinmuseum.com/decade/images/99-dc200.html

Attached Image
Attached Image
Attached Image

This post has been edited by AK Rich: Sep 20 2017, 05:32 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Sep 22 2017, 10:00 AM
Let us also know how the electronics worked for you smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 23 2017, 05:41 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Mertay @ Sep 22 2017, 01:00 AM) *
Let us also know how the electronics worked for you smile.gif

Sure thing, Mertay smile.gif I really like the wide range of tones I have been able to get out of this guitar with the different configs. Splitting the coils gives it a nice strat like tone. At first the difference in output between active and passive mode was great. The active mode output was very hot but I found that there is a small blue POT in the electronics cavity that adjusts the output of the pickups in active mode. I backed it off a bit so that switching to active from passive mode gives me about a 5db boost. Pretty nice option. smile.gif The two lower knobs provide a treble or bass cut or boost in active mode which I also think is really nice and useful for tone shaping. Here are a couple shots of some documentation that came with the guitar and a shot of the electronics cavity.

Attached Image
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Sep 24 2017, 02:43 AM
Experienced Rock Star
I live near the Carvin factory and stop by the showroom from time to time to check out the latest models. Their guitars are undeniably awesome. A friend of mine got a Kiesel seven string recently, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I admire your gear-hunting skills smile.gif.

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Sep 24 2017, 06:50 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Sep 23 2017, 05:43 PM) *
I live near the Carvin factory and stop by the showroom from time to time to check out the latest models. Their guitars are undeniably awesome. A friend of mine got a Kiesel seven string recently, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. I admire your gear-hunting skills smile.gif.

Thanks Rammikin. But I think maybe I have just been lucky lately at finding nice used instruments for some good prices. That and being quick on the draw I guess in some cases. Some of the guys posting here as well as myself have mentioned that they don't see many Carvin's if any.
How is it with you on the west coast, aside from living close to the factory do you see many of them in the wild?
It's interesting that Carvin has reverted back to the original name of Kiesel, something I did not know until a couple days ago. I found the story of the history here.

https://www.kieselguitars.com/lowellkiesel/

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Sep 24 2017, 08:05 PM
Experienced Rock Star
No, you don't see many. It's a shame since they really are wonderful guitars. But they've always gone their own way and refused to sell through retailers, so that has always limited their exposure. Alan Holdsworth is the only prominent Carvin artist that comes to mind, but that was in part due to the fact he lived near Carvin.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:00 AM