> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Gregc’s Tasty Playing, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2012, 04:26 PM
Instructor
Hi Gregc! Welcome to your personal thread for the Gab's Army!

First of all I would like to know a bit more about you, your musical tastes, your gear, your recording software, the goals that you want to achieve as a musician and also to see some videos of you playing solos and rhythm. As you are already working with Ben, I would like to know what are you expecting of this project and choosing me as your mentor.

The principles of our Army are:

+ Improve your technique
+ Make music and solos
+ Have fun
+ Destroy the enemy (hahaha not realy just kidding... ph34r.gif )

Ok, so thanks for choosing me.. here we go! smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 22 2012, 05:53 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel! Ok, here we go...

I'm 33 years old and I'm from Florida in the United States. I've been playing guitar for nearly 20 years and used to play in bands when I was younger but haven't in YEARS. At this point I really just enjoy playing as a hobby. I took 1-2 years of lessons to get started and then took it myself from there. While I've always played since the beginning, I've only really dedicated myself to getting better for brief windows over the years.

I would say about 3-4 years ago I really started getting serious again and since I never played out anywhere, I decided, after doing some research, to purchase Guitar Rig 3 for the wide array of amps and effects to basically get what sound I want all in one package. Well that really blew the doors off for me with all of the options and the ease of playing along with backing tracks or songs and I've been totally hooked ever since. The problem I ran into very quickly is the fact that I had no direction or goals. Maybe I had goals but I had no real means to reach them. Then I started running across GMC videos on Youtube and convinced myself this is exactly what I need. Best decision ever.

Thats my basic background. My musical tastes are so wide it's ridiculous. I would say favorite style to play would be kind of a rock/blues/soul combo as well as hard rock. But I like country, neoclassical, metal, pop, jazz, fusion, etc.

Here is the gear I use:
- Ibanez RG
- Fender Strat
- Guitar Rig 3 for amps and effects
- Garageband for recording
- iMac camera for video
- iMovie for mixing audio/video

The goals I would like to achieve are to become a better lead and rhythm player. For lead, I want to become more melodic and learn to move more freely around the neck. I would also like to get my speed/smoothness up as that is probably my weakest area. For rhythm, pretty much everything. This is an area I have neglected pretty bad. I'm good with all of the major/minor/7th chords but really want to break out of that G-D-C progression box. I would like to learn more of the complex chords (F#add11, stuff like that) and how to utilize those chords when composing progressions.

One goal of mine has always been to write my own guitar instrumental song, that's one of the reasons I wanted to be a part of this project with you. The principles for this project you laid out fall right in line with what I want to accomplish. Improve technique and create music/solos.

A great example of about where I am is Marcus Lavendell's Evening Blues lesson:
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...g-blues-lesson/

There are segments to this that I can do, fairly easily, but there are segments that are still over my head. Mainly the tapping stuff as I really have no tapping skills beyond the very basics. But this would be one I would love, and plan to, complete. I've only made 2 recording that I've posted to the REC board but I'll post those below for you to see.

Sorry for being so long-winded. biggrin.gif Thank you for taking me on and I can't wait to get started!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2012, 06:38 PM
Instructor
Hi Greg! Thanks for this complete post about you. Regarding your playing e will work on technique and work on lessons in the styles that you like. You already have a good level and also good vibrato and timing so we will continue on that road trying to start adding some short shred licks to your playing as it happens in Marcus tune. The lesson that I will select for this week is this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

You will not only find a cool solo to be played, you will find the simplified version of what it could be a full instrumental song. You have to learn it, record it and then post it here and at the REC to have other instructors opinions. The idea is that you also pay attention to the chord changes and how Jonathan chooses the notes where he stays more time. If you analyse that you will notice that on this tasty tunes the key is to repose on chord notes. You need to have a strong knowledge of triads in the fretboard if you want to do this in real time (improvisation). By now just pay attention to the notes choice.

Also learn the scale used in every position and jam a bit over the backing. If something cool appears please post it here. smile.gif

The second thing that I want you to practice this week is this first lesson of my Intensive Technique Course:

LESSON #1 – WARMING UP & ENDURANCE

Work on this exercises and record yourself playing it in 6 days. Concentrate on the sound, the volume of each note, not on the speed. Play it the faster than you can but the limit must be when you start to loose clearness.

As we are reaching the end of this month we will wait some days until the instructors post new Collabs to join.

This would be all for this week. Do you think that you'll be able to have all the videos by the next Wednesday?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 22 2012, 07:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ahh yes. These look awesome! I LOVE the solo and the exercises go right along with some of the lessons Ben has had me doing so I've got a little head start there. This is exactly what I need to work on getting comfortable with.

I'll learn and record the solo and then maybe just jam on top of the backing track and post it here so you can hear it and see what my improvisation tendencies are.

Perfect Gabriel. I'll have all of this posted here by next Wednesday.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 22 2012, 07:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Feb 22 2012, 03:19 PM) *
Ahh yes. These look awesome! I LOVE the solo and the exercises go right along with some of the lessons Ben has had me doing so I've got a little head start there. This is exactly what I need to work on getting comfortable with.

I'll learn and record the solo and then maybe just jam on top of the backing track and post it here so you can hear it and see what my improvisation tendencies are.

Perfect Gabriel. I'll have all of this posted here by next Wednesday.

Excellent Greg! Keep me updated on how it goes! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 23 2012, 07:26 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel!

Learned the solo and just made a quick audio recording. I figured I would go ahead and post it even though it needs a ton of touching up. I should have a good video recording of this sometime this weekend and then we'll work to get it ready for a good REC take. I'll also be working on the warm-up/endurance exercises and I'll post those next week by Wednesday.

Have a good one!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  tasteyetude.mp3 ( 1.49MB ) Number of downloads: 216

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2012, 07:35 AM
Instructor
Wou!! Your take is so good mate! It's so near to sound exactly like the original lesson. I will become very strict (since your take is great!) and I will ask you to review Jona's playing and try to emulate every little slide and hammering, as well as his vibrato. These little details makes his playing so beautiful and enjoyable. This gives value to each note and adds a lot of feeling to the performance.
By the way.. keep on the great job! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 25 2012, 07:50 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel!!

I managed to get a recording down of the Tasty Etude. I actually feel like I can do it slightly cleaner but I still get really tight when I'm trying to actually record, video especially. I'll wait for you to see it before I post it to the REC board and I'm still working on your warmup/endurance exercises so I'll post those early this week as well. I look forward to your feedback! smile.gif Thanks again!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2012, 08:35 PM
Instructor
Wou man! That's a really nice take! Your timing and groove is perfect, even the ghost notes are exactly when they must be. Your tone fits really good with the backing track, and I must say that you could get a very warm sound with that nice Ibanez guitar. Your bends are precise and you played every phrase with those little details like slides and hammering give your playing a great feeling. The only thing that need a bit more work to be a superb take is your vibrato, it's ok, but I think that it should be more natural... sometimes the vibrations is irregular and sometimes it's to electrical while the piece is quieter. Go for the REC with this one man! It's a 9.5 for me! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 25 2012, 08:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thank you Gabriel! I totally agree about the vibrato. I'm trying to get it wider and more controlled and in the month or so I've been here it's actually gotten better. I find that certain situations and locations are easier than others. I think my best vibrato is on the G string with my index finger, while my middle and ring are much less natural sounding and controlled. Also, the notes I play leading up to a vibrato section seem to have an impact on my feeling of control when I get to the vibrato part so that's one thing I could definitely focus on improving. I would love to get that real wide, NASTY vibrato in any position.

I will go ahead and post to the REC board and continue on your endurance exercises. Thanks a million for the feedback and I'll talk to you soon!

This post has been edited by gregc1: Feb 25 2012, 08:48 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2012, 09:12 PM
Instructor
That's right! It's very difficult to have a balanced vibrato with every finger in every position. When we are beginner players, we usually left practising vibrato to the end because we use to think that it's easier and less important but this technique must be trained like we do with alternate picking or legato. It is awesome how this technique can make the difference. Let me know how the exercises go after a pair of practice's days.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 25 2012, 09:59 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Sounds like a plan! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 26 2012, 06:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (gregc1 @ Feb 25 2012, 05:59 PM) *
Sounds like a plan! smile.gif

Cool! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 29 2012, 04:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey Gabriel! I've been working on the endurance exercises and I will have those posted later today. I'm doing pretty well with the warmup exercise although alternate picking is much less tight that sweep picking them. However the legato/endurance stuff is a struggle for me. I'm pretty solid at incorporating legato sections into my playing but I am VERY WEAK and maintaining it for extended periods like these exercises. So I will post what I have to stay on schedule but I will continue with these exercises as part of my standard warmup/practice routine until I get them effortlessly (and after).

Looking forward to our next step!!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 29 2012, 06:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Greg! Thanks for the update! I will wait for your take for the endurance exercises.

I just checked your Satriani Rhythm Style lesson at the REC and It's perfect mate! I think that we can go for a more difficult one... Steve Vai rhythm work is always very interesting so I was thinking on assigning you this lesson, once again by Jonathan

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Steve-...Whitesnake-Era/

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 29 2012, 06:19 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Love it! This one will be tough but this is what I need and want to learn how to do.

I will post my endurance exercises shortly (although it will just be audio) and start on this new lesson right away. Very exciting stuff!! biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 29 2012, 06:30 PM
Instructor
Great mate!! I like to see you motivated! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 29 2012, 07:29 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Okay Gabriel, here are my warmup/endurance recordings for this week.

For the warmup I used alternate picking. I can do it smoother using sweep picking but I've learned here pretty quickly that my alternate picking needs some work so I was trying just to focus on that.

For the endurance stuff, ohmy.gif , you will see that I need serious work here.

The first one was not as bad but you can see it's not clean at all and also you can see about my limit on endurance with legato.

The second one, I hesitated even posting but I figured you need it straight about what you're working with. Anything legato using the little and ring finger is damn near impossible for me right now. I just don't have that coordination yet. I'm much better using the pointer, middle, little finger combo with legato. It's something about that ring and little finger together gives me a fit.

I will keep working on it and post updates along the way as I make progress, which I have no doubt I will make eventually. smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  warmup95bpm.mp3 ( 785.3K ) Number of downloads: 130
Attached File  endurance1.mp3 ( 551.43K ) Number of downloads: 128
Attached File  endurance2.mp3 ( 653.06K ) Number of downloads: 134

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 29 2012, 08:03 PM
Instructor
Hi Greg! Your thoughts about your takes are exactly what I think. The first one sounds perfect with alternate picking, every note sound at the same volume and the timing is very tight. The second one is also ok, but I can note that you still need some effort to keep the sound and timing... the third is the one that need more job, and I really suggest to do it since I believe that it's a VERY effective exercise that has been my friend for 14 years and he will keep being it... biggrin.gif
You are working this exercises right so keep on doing it. I like the fact that you posted takes at tempos that you can still make every note sound at a reasonable volume.
Well done!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
gregc1
Feb 29 2012, 08:39 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I will definitely keep working on them. I know it's a glaring weakness of mine but I've never taken the time to sit down, take my time and be disciplined about training my fingers and endurance so this is just what the doctor ordered. Thanks again! I'll keep you posted on my progress.

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:43 PM