Guitar Handicaps
Cosmin Lupu
May 22 2014, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Here is a quick tip I talked about in some of my chat sessions in the beginning of this year - When people are stuck in a rut and find themselves playing the same licks over and over, they will often try to give themselves better conditions, i.e. by taking guitar lessons, learning new licks etc..

However sometimes less is more. Try to give yourself a slight handicap instead, for example try playing without the pick, or play in a key you are uncomfortable with, or try just playing a melody on one string. Often you will find this is faster way to achieve variations in your playing.

Here's the exercise examples we had in the chat session I was talking about: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=671081

Have you tried this? Can you think of some more examples of handicaps or let's call them limitations?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 22 2014, 06:21 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jeroen
May 23 2014, 09:13 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Great idea. Also you can try to create interesting licks with just two or three notes. That makes you really think about how to play the notes and what techniques to use. Slides, bends, pre bends, hammer on/pull off etc. Try to make as many interesting licks from just the same two or three notes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 23 2014, 09:52 PM
GMC:er
Using my picking hand for anything minus a pick. Examples finger picking (intro to stairway to heaven) ph34r.gif not that exact song but that style plucking a few strings at the same time. Also anything past 1 finger taping.

I just recently bought a bass, best move I ever made wish I had done it years ago. It's added so much more for me when I try and make a loop just that added frequency has helped but thats besides the point. I'm actually trying to learn to do some slap bass with plucking. With the added space between the strings it has helped me gain on my finger picking. Also I've been trying to do tapping on the bass as well, both are starting to look better over all.

I do get a laugh with it, I can be playing a passage over and over then I get a finger fart. They just stop and look at me like, wait what were we doing? Maybe I should go glue some googly eyes to them! laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 24 2014, 01:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ May 23 2014, 08:52 PM) *
Using my picking hand for anything minus a pick. Examples finger picking (intro to stairway to heaven) ph34r.gif not that exact song but that style plucking a few strings at the same time. Also anything past 1 finger taping.

I just recently bought a bass, best move I ever made wish I had done it years ago. It's added so much more for me when I try and make a loop just that added frequency has helped but thats besides the point. I'm actually trying to learn to do some slap bass with plucking. With the added space between the strings it has helped me gain on my finger picking. Also I've been trying to do tapping on the bass as well, both are starting to look better over all.

I do get a laugh with it, I can be playing a passage over and over then I get a finger fart. They just stop and look at me like, wait what were we doing? Maybe I should go glue some googly eyes to them! laugh.gif

Hehe! Playing with your fingers will add an ENORMOUS amount of expression to your playing mate! I would certainly recommend these lessons for fingerstyle guitar:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Finger...Blues-Patterns/

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/finger...hand_arpeggios/

I think they are a good start smile.gif Let me know if you are interested in more, ok?

QUOTE (Jeroen @ May 23 2014, 08:13 PM) *
Great idea. Also you can try to create interesting licks with just two or three notes. That makes you really think about how to play the notes and what techniques to use. Slides, bends, pre bends, hammer on/pull off etc. Try to make as many interesting licks from just the same two or three notes.

Exactly man! Try out my exercises above wink.gif You will have a great time inventing stuff!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:23 PM