Django Reinhardt
unmarshal
Apr 13 2007, 08:04 AM
GMC:er
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zD6ZD1Igxr0

Might not be your style, but you gotta give it to the man with only 2 fingers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 13 2007, 09:00 AM
GMC Founder
Great post!

First: Django is a shredder - anyone who has listened to him knows that! biggrin.gif

Second: He is the ultimate proof that you don't need special hands to do it - on the contrary he does it with only TWO fingers.

Respect!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
andrei.sz
Apr 13 2007, 01:09 PM
WWWOOOWWW ohmy.gif

this is incredible.
i never knew about django, but now i'm going to find everithing i can on the net about him.

thanks for the post !!!

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 13 2007, 05:10 PM
Django is the master.

I have 3 pictures hanging up at work. 2 are of guitars. The other is of Django.

+Quote Post
InstruMental Cas...
Apr 13 2007, 07:36 PM
Hey, maybe now we can get Kris to do this! tongue.gif

I highly suggest checking out the new book, "Django Reinhardt and the Illustrated History of Gypsy Jazz". Barnes & Nobel carries it in the US.

I'm a big Django nutbar, and I love learning about him and his music. I think he soloed with two fingers, but he could use the others for some chords and stuff. I also once read that Django's brother tuned his guitars for him, and one time when his brother wasn't there, Django got on stage and strummed one chord, realized the guitar was out of tune, and then spent several minutes retuning it because he didn't really know how to.

Anyway, I highly recommend the following songs:

You Rascal You, Minor Swing, Coucou, Honeysuckle Rose, Night and Day, Black and White, Sweet Georgia Brown, Belleville, Souvenirs, My Sweet, Liza, Stompin' at Decca, Love's Melody, Daphne, Lambethwalk, Nuages, and HCQ Strut.

If you're new to Django, try to get The Complete Django Reinhardt HMV Sessions box set from Mosaic Records. 6 CD's, but really the best set I've heard of Django's, and I have at least three huge sets. But if you're on a budget, this 10 CD set is a fantastic buy. You can also get a lot of Django's music over iTunes.

If you're looking for a modern gypsy jazz guitarist, look no further than Andreas Öberg. His Young Jazz Guitarist album is fantastic, and I think it's on iTunes, too. He also recently released a DVD (PAL region only though). Here he is burning through the Django favorite, "Minor Swing", and the jazz standard, “Cherokee”!

This post has been edited by InstruMental Case: Apr 13 2007, 07:54 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 03:07 PM