2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Your Opinions Required Please, New SI Lesson Demo
Chris Evans
May 21 2008, 11:02 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
hi guys,

well I`ve been working quite some time on my next lesson for the SI boards, I wanted to do something In the style of Vivian campbell, one of my favourite guitarists back in the 80`s when he was with Dio.

For the backing I`ve taken snipets of 3 different Dio songs (changed the keys and tempo`s a little)

Heres where I`d like your opinions please, I`m quite unhappy with it, and the more I plug away it it the unhappier I am with it, or is it just me being picky?? Should I carry on with it? ditch it? leave it as it is? (only rerecorded ofc) I dunno, kinda doing my nut in a little laugh.gif

theres a few mistakes here n there in the solo but thats again coz i keep chopping and changing it around once I`m settled on something then I can iron out the mistakes, this is just for my purposes only really but I`m chucking it out there for you guys to help answer my above questions smile.gif

Attached File  VCDio_demo.mp3 ( 899.74K ) Number of downloads: 295

PS. must credit Mr Cockburn for the drums, he re tracked them for me with EZdrummer which is what finally twisted my arm into buying it myself laugh.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
May 21 2008, 11:23 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Sounded alot like this guy to me. Listen to the upload first. smile.gif
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eymW6VqWkUA

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  V_C.mp3 ( 763.99K ) Number of downloads: 111

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 21 2008, 11:27 PM
laugh.gif I had that actual video, many years ago now, darned if I know where it went to tho sad.gif

Thanks for the link tho mate, thats cool to see it again biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Smells: May 21 2008, 11:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
skennington
May 21 2008, 11:31 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Seriously bro, keep it. I think the backing could be a little heavier though. Did that 80's "doo" VC had take you back? laugh.gif Days of the "Mullet"

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 21 2008, 11:32 PM
laugh.gif yea did a little laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Tjchep
May 21 2008, 11:36 PM
GMC:er
I think its awesome smile.gif.

--------------------
Check out my playing here - https://www.youtube.com/user/tjchep

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 22 2008, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Tjchep @ May 21 2008, 11:36 PM) *
I think its awesome smile.gif.

thanks mate, maybe I`ll live with it for a while.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Strungout180
May 22 2008, 01:29 AM
Post pictures of your custom guitar already! mad.gif

As for the recording it sounds awesome, but I do agree that it being a little heavier might help it out.

--------------------
Electrics: Epiphone Japanese Les Paul Standard • Squire MIM Stratocaster/w. Texas Specials • Fender Robert Cray Standard

Acoustics: Takamine EG540 • Art & Lutherie Folk Cedar

Amps: Blackheart 5w/3w Little Giant

Effects: Boss SD-1 • Holy Grail Reverb • MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive • Boss DD3 Digital Delay • Crybaby Wah

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
May 22 2008, 07:12 AM
Instructor
I really liked it smile.gif

This will definetly make a great lesson once you feel you are happy with it and removed what you think are the errors and flaws.
I didnt notice much errors, with the exception with the the last section at around 42-44 seconds, which sounded a bit "sloppy" compared to the rest.

But by all means.. this is great biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Trond Vold: May 22 2008, 07:13 AM

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Col Roberts
May 22 2008, 07:57 AM
Learning Roadie
I like it. I would definitely learn the lesson. Please continue with it. Enjoyed your rock ballad lesson too, Chris.

Cheers.

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
May 22 2008, 08:17 AM
Acoustic Instructor
That would be a very cool lesson smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 22 2008, 08:24 AM
Instructor
nice track smells ,very well done

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 22 2008, 09:15 AM
QUOTE (Strungout180 @ May 22 2008, 01:29 AM) *
Post pictures of your custom guitar already! mad.gif

laugh.gif I havnt got it yet, but the pictures that I have would give away too much, once I get it in my grubby hands, I`ll update the "Journey" thread with all the pictures I recieved from Muris smile.gif

QUOTE (Trond Vold @ May 22 2008, 07:12 AM) *
I really liked it smile.gif

This will definetly make a great lesson once you feel you are happy with it and removed what you think are the errors and flaws.
I didnt notice much errors, with the exception with the the last section at around 42-44 seconds, which sounded a bit "sloppy" compared to the rest.

But by all means.. this is great biggrin.gif

Thanks Trond, yea that was the area of errors I was mainly talking about in my first post, mainly due to tiredness and playing it a million times before that laugh.gif

Thanks for all your comments guys, maybe I am being too picky with it, I`ll work on beefing up the backing to make it heavier, I agree totally with that smile.gif Now I`ve got to work on tabbing that lot out blink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OrganisedConfusi...
May 22 2008, 09:19 AM
It is pretty good. A little sloppy like Trond said near the end but it is a great idea for a lesson. I love Dio. We cover Strangers in the Night biggrin.gif

--------------------
Gear
Guitars:- Caparison Horus Snowcloud, Parker Nitefly M, Parker Nitefly SA, Gibson SG, Parker P10e, 40 Year Old Spanish Acoustic
Amps:- Framus Ruby Riot 2x12" stack

+Quote Post
ztevie
May 22 2008, 11:14 AM
It sounds really great, very V. Campbell!!
If I could change anything I would put something else from 0:35 and forward. It sounds as if you from there and until the end decided you needed something speedy and just threw something in... Put something else fast "Campbellish" there.
No offense, only my cents worth...
But before 35 secs I can only say, wow, really great harmonics and vibrato. Great, great playing!! tongue.gif

--------------------
Gear:
* Vigier Shawn Lane Master, Bridge Bareknuckle Nailbomb, Middle DiMarzio FS-1, Neck Bareknuckle Cold Sweat
* Padalka Custom Space-6, Bareknuckle Juggernaut set
* Ztevie's Blue, Custom Handbuilt by Rek Guitars, Seymour Duncan Full Shred humbucker set
* Yamaha LLX6 Acoustic
* Fractal Audio Axe FX II XL+

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 22 2008, 11:31 AM
QUOTE (ztevie @ May 22 2008, 11:14 AM) *
It sounds really great, very V. Campbell!!
If I could change anything I would put something else from 0:35 and forward. It sounds as if you from there and until the end decided you needed something speedy and just threw something in... Put something else fast "Campbellish" there.
No offense, only my cents worth...
But before 35 secs I can only say, wow, really great harmonics and vibrato. Great, great playing!! tongue.gif

no mate, no offense taken, your actually bang on, and really why I`ve been getting a bit frustrated with it, you`ve answered the part that I`ve been questioning myself on, excellent! thank you smile.gif

I was really looking for some more Campbellish licks, Skenny put me in the right direction for that, I`m glad I`ve chucked this out there, I`ve got some great answers and direction smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
May 23 2008, 01:15 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
This will be an excellent lesson , you should definitely go for it!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 23 2008, 07:27 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Well I think it's cool! You could make a big part of the SI lesson on the harmonics (always a hard part biggrin.gif )
And to be honest..when I heared you play I thought " wouldn't it be cool for a kid to say, hey guys you hear that? That's my dad!". Maybe tweak it a bit, but go for it!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
May 23 2008, 08:27 PM
heheh thanks Kaz, a good idea about highlighting the harmonics I shall make sure I do that, maybe even expand that into another smaller seperate lesson on harmonics as well?

well I`ve reworked some of he back part of the solo which zstevie was spot on about, I`m much happier with it now, it still needs a little more tweaking, but hopefully I`ll get this up farely soon smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
May 26 2008, 04:42 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Smells @ May 23 2008, 09:27 PM) *
heheh thanks Kaz, a good idea about highlighting the harmonics I shall make sure I do that, maybe even expand that into another smaller seperate lesson on harmonics as well?

That is a great idea. It's a topic everyone once, needs to read/learn about!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 06:54 PM