Good Bass For Young Kid
Kizaze44
Aug 20 2008, 11:55 PM
GMC:er
Hey Bogdan,

I wrote a while back about my 12 yr old son wanting to learn bass. Can you recommend a good starter bass. I'm hoping I can find something good around $500 - I'll be using it too.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 21 2008, 12:13 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well only bass that has a great quality/price ratio in my opinion would be Peavey bass..Its not because why I play one , just I couldn't find better ratio with other basses..
Now I heard very good things about Millennium series and also Grind series..

Since its a starter bass I would recommend this one :
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMILBXP4 - Has versions starting at (finish differences) $239.95
I hear a lot of good things about this bass and its a passive bass.

Here is the active version :
http://www.zzounds.com/item--PEVMILACBXP4

Active bass can give you more volume, versatility and control over the sound..But keep in mind that these basses consume 2 9V batteries and if its same with all peaveys they EAT batteries in one week of playing so its a real hustle to change them all the time..

These are budget basses...Your budget fits with Fender Jazz Bass (Mexican) also - so its another option too...Those Mexican fenders can get very good especially if you upgrade them with better pickups and electronics later on...

Please try out a bass in a store (and compare possible choices)..Listen to how it sounds , pay attention to neck size if its comfortable and mostly on action if can be lowered enough..You don't want to be digging around that bass when starting to play.Try out those peaveys mentioned , compare them yo Grind bass and than to Fender and see which one you like..You can comfortably skip all other brands smile.gif

Say hello to your son!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Aug 21 2008, 12:17 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Aug 21 2008, 04:28 PM
GMC:er
Wow - thanks Bogdan. This is really helpful. Much appreciated!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Aug 21 2008, 07:32 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Aug 21 2008, 05:28 PM) *
Wow - thanks Bogdan. This is really helpful. Much appreciated!

Glad to be helpful, just carefully test the basses in store and you will be fine..To have a comparison how a good bass sounds try one high end model just for fun smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 07:23 AM