So I Was Talking To This French Guy Today...
Ajmurrell
Jan 18 2009, 02:52 AM
Learning Tone Master
Met a mate of my girlfriends today in the pub (first time I've made it to a pub since I've had my anxiety disorder in over 2 years! biggrin.gif) and we instantly connected talking about guitars.

He mentioned he had to sell his most treasured possession to be able to afford to get in to the UK 12 years ago, his original 100W JCM800.

He was telling me that this baby was the most impressive and satisfying amp he's ever owned.

The interesting thing he mentioned was this, and I wanted to get your opinion on the matter:

He said that he used to leave the amp on full volume, fully cranked on, and go down the road to his local pub for 2 hours. Allowing the tubes to really start to cook and then come back and turn it to a sensible volume and he said that this made the amp sound amazing.

Do you think this could be an interesting experiment or has anybody also done this?

I would imagine it wouldn't be the same as fully cranking your amp - but I'm not sure! Interesting I thought though smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
enforcer
Jan 18 2009, 03:20 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Jan 18 2009, 03:52 AM) *
Met a mate of my girlfriends today in the pub (first time I've made it to a pub since I've had my anxiety disorder in over 2 years! biggrin.gif) and we instantly connected talking about guitars.

He mentioned he had to sell his most treasured possession to be able to afford to get in to the UK 12 years ago, his original 100W JCM800.

He was telling me that this baby was the most impressive and satisfying amp he's ever owned.

The interesting thing he mentioned was this, and I wanted to get your opinion on the matter:

He said that he used to leave the amp on full volume, fully cranked on, and go down the road to his local pub for 2 hours. Allowing the tubes to really start to cook and then come back and turn it to a sensible volume and he said that this made the amp sound amazing.

Do you think this could be an interesting experiment or has anybody also done this?

I would imagine it wouldn't be the same as fully cranking your amp - but I'm not sure! Interesting I thought though smile.gif

Well, we were used to wait 1 hour each day of my guitar record for our voxac30 to get optimum performance, I didnt know why we were doing that so I asked, our record engineer told me that these kind of tube amps were closing to their performance maxima after 1-2 hours of wait. Well I think I will stick to his words...

Hope this helps biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

incoming spoiler read it at your own risk!

Spoiler:

Vigier G.V Wood HH
American Stratocaster Maple Standart with X2N bridge pickups
Samwick Artist custom modified Baswood Lespaul with S.Duncan JB and N56 pickups
Self made Fretless Strat type made of Rosewood/Maple with self wound Neck and Ibanez V8 Bridge Pickups
Floor Pod 2.0 Amp Simulation System
Pod Xt Pro Rack Amp Simulation System
Digitech TSR 12 Rack Effect and Studio Reverb
Behringer Composer Rack Compressor Expander
Morley Bad Horsie Wah Pedal
Behringer FB1010 Floor Board

it, surely, spoiled me!!!

and may the force be with you :)

+Quote Post
Mandos
Jan 18 2009, 10:51 AM
GMC:er
Yeah, there's a reason that you have a power and a stand-by button on tube amps. The stand-by one only turns off the sound so that you still get power to the tubes so they get warm and you won't wear them out as fast either.

--------------------
[color="#808080"]Guitars: Epiphone Les Paul Gothic with EMG 81 and 85, Crafter Acoustic, ESP LTD F-205

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 18 2009, 02:15 PM
Instructor
Yeah, tubes need to warm up, you'll get a fuller sound and better harmonics if you let it warm up for a little while before playing.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 19 2009, 02:05 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
That's true..Warm up is needed for a tube amp....So there is some logic to his story ...you can try it but not that radical as 2h wait..

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jan 19 2009, 02:06 AM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:51 AM