Wah Or Tubes?
JVM
Nov 17 2009, 07:44 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi guys, I just sold a few pieces of gear and I have $70 from that, but I can also supplement the budget a little bit besides.

My question is, what do you guys think would be a better buy, a new set of tubes (probably JJ's) for my Mesa F-30 el84 amp, or a keeley mod to my vox wah wah to give it true bypass and a status light?

For the record, despite posts I made a week or two ago, my tubes do work fine (and I have gotten around to recording a bit with ReCabinet, stay tuned for some samples) but I have no idea how old they are, and from what I have heard the JJ's are better than stock mesa's. Also I want the amp to break up a little earlier and JJ allows that option. On the other hand, as much as I love my wah, it kills me how obvious the tone sucking is when it's in the chain. Anyone have experience with these kinds of mods? Do they work well?

If anyone has any other suggestions for this budget as well, don't hesitate smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
ZakkWylde
Nov 17 2009, 08:08 PM
Learning Tone Master
All wahs suck tone, even the extremely expenisive boutique wahs with True Bypass suck tone...just a bit less -.-

The status light is more important on a crybaby type imho but if you are not gigging, you can live without it for the moment. I would get a new/better set of tubes.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2009, 08:16 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Hmm tought one... I guess wah mod would be cool if amp sounds just fine now...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
JVM
Nov 18 2009, 02:52 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm also considering getting a used one of these pigtronix 'philosopher's tone' compressor pedal.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 18 2009, 03:04 AM
GMC:er
This reminds me that I have to change Tubes to my amp!!. Hahaha. I would definitly go for new Tubes

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 18 2009, 11:41 PM
Instructor
I don't think Vox wah mod of 70$ is worth it mate, I advise you to swap the tubes.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 07:21 AM