Audio Interface, How to
Hajduk
Feb 4 2015, 01:33 AM
Learning Rock Star
I am curious to know I'm just starting to learn how to use my Audio interface its a Focusrite 2i2. When you plug your guitar into the audio interface do you go direct or use pedals before plugging it in directly? Hope that makes sense!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
benetom
Feb 4 2015, 06:27 AM
GMC:er
Do as you wish m8. You can use effects from computer or use real hardware before audiointerface.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 4 2015, 02:57 PM
Instructor
Exactly, both options are ok. If you have a really good hardware processor, you can add it before the interface, if not, I recommend to use directly the amp simulators which can give great results.

There is a trick shared by Todd, that consists on adding a tube screamer before the audio interface as a preamp, to get a better result with amp simulators, so if you have one, or even a clone, try it.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 4 2015, 06:00 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you. smile.gif And yes I have the Ibanez Tube screamer smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 4 2015, 07:25 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
You can safely connect pedals up front, before going into the interface. I personally like to go direct and not mix "real" with "software modeling". Having said this, you can get certainly nice results using pedals in front of the audio interface and if you are running a software amp on your computer, you'll have the similar signal path as in the real world. For example, I have experience connecting Wah, delay and other pedals this way and it did work. The best is to try out all the possibilities to see what works well with your tone/setup. Other possibility would be to do everything in software, including pedals emulation.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 4 2015, 07:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you Bogdan smile.gif Going to experiment a bit today and see what sounds right to me.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 5 2015, 03:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
If using peddles, you probably need to use an amp as well and mic it or use a dedicated out towards computer to get good sound . I use clean signal and plugins after the fact. there is a learning curve( very little) , but with a clean signal you can always change everything if you choose to do so.
A few suggestions
http://overloud.com/download/demo.php
http://www.scuffhamamps.com/product/s-gear
Both of these have a free demo for about a week or two. I would only download the demo if you can give them some serious time to get your feet wet. Also only demo one at a time you might get a little more free learning time that way

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 5 2015, 05:13 AM
A LOT of guys (including me) will use a tube screamer with the distortion all the way down as a "clean boost" to help guitar plugins sound better smile.gif Most guitar plugins can sound a bit crap unless you hit them pretty hard.

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Feb 4 2015, 01:00 PM) *
Thank you. smile.gif And yes I have the Ibanez Tube screamer smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 5 2015, 09:26 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks jstcrsn and Todd, going to try the demos out! Ive been wanting to learn about this stuff for quite sometime, still very confusing to me sad.gif Still don't understand what plug ins are?? Are they for your Daw or recording software??

This post has been edited by Hajduk: Feb 5 2015, 09:29 AM

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 5 2015, 12:15 PM
Learning Tone Master
yes, easiest way to get started is to find a youtube tutorial about your DAW

p.s. get your feet wet with plugins before you put peddles in the loop, if you are not familiar with it you might put to strong a signal into your computer, don't want to fry ahything

This post has been edited by jstcrsn: Feb 5 2015, 02:05 PM

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 5 2015, 12:21 PM
QUOTE (Hajduk @ Feb 5 2015, 09:26 AM) *
Thanks jstcrsn and Todd, going to try the demos out! Ive been wanting to learn about this stuff for quite sometime, still very confusing to me sad.gif Still don't understand what plug ins are?? Are they for your Daw or recording software??

You can view "plugins" term as "add on software" which you can use in your audio recording software. Audio recording software is usually referred to as "DAW" in short (Digital Audio Workstation) and these terms are indeed confusing. Plugins would be additional apps you can run inside your audio recording software and they would be for example Amplitube, Guitar Rig and other guitar modeling software. Their ability to run inside the audio recording software allows you to instantly play with the tones and everything while recording or mixing your guitar tracks. Please let me know if you need any help with this stuff?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 5 2015, 10:44 PM
Learning Rock Star
Thank you Bogdan and jstcrsn. Thanks Bogdan for clearing that up that makes sense now smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 6 2015, 06:51 AM
The best way to get going is to jump in! smile.gif Try to record something, anything and share it on sound cloud. It's like anything else, the more you do it, the easier it will get smile.gif

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Feb 5 2015, 05:44 PM) *
Thank you Bogdan and jstcrsn. Thanks Bogdan for clearing that up that makes sense now smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 6 2015, 11:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
So I have been figuring out lots with the software plug ins etc so far its been awesome, now I want to be able to do this with my lessons on GMC because it sounds so much better. Here is a dumb question! When its all done, how do I send the video out? WAV, OGG etc. Hope that makes sense?

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2015, 04:21 AM
Once you get done mixing, say in reaper, you EXPORT/BOUNCE to a single audio file.

Then you import the audio in to your video editor and synch audio to video.

Then export the entire thing as a movie (.mp4 or something compressed) and upload to youtube.

Make sense?

Todd

QUOTE (Hajduk @ Feb 6 2015, 06:58 PM) *
So I have been figuring out lots with the software plug ins etc so far its been awesome, now I want to be able to do this with my lessons on GMC because it sounds so much better. Here is a dumb question! When its all done, how do I send the video out? WAV, OGG etc. Hope that makes sense?

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Feb 8 2015, 01:40 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very interesting thread cool.gif

got to try that out - tube screamer in front of interface - there is always something to explore .

Thank you guys !

Dieter

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 8 2015, 01:52 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Feb 5 2015, 12:21 PM) *
You can view "plugins" term as "add on software" which you can use in your audio recording software. Audio recording software is usually referred to as "DAW" in short (Digital Audio Workstation) and these terms are indeed confusing.

Trying to find the video Ivan did, I think it would be good here.

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Feb 8 2015, 05:07 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Feb 8 2015, 02:52 PM) *
Trying to find the video Ivan did, I think it would be good here.

Have you found it yet? smile.gif

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Feb 8 2015, 07:17 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Feb 8 2015, 05:07 PM) *
Have you found it yet? smile.gif

This one? smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Feb 8 2015, 11:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Ok so on Mixcraft 6 it gives you a option to mix down! I'm assuming to MP3 for audio? And can anyone tell me is Windows Movie maker a good video editing software? I have it on my laptop!

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 03:22 PM