> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Jessi's Guitar Noob Corner
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 22 2012, 08:28 PM
Instructor
Hey there miss Jessi smile.gif

This is your personal spot, so let's start using it with the story you can tell me after reading the answer to your PM smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 22 2012, 11:10 PM
GMC:er
Hallo mister Cosmin,
thank you for cooking this biggrin.gif .
Basically I'd like to learn playing guitar for "domestic use". If we make campfire, cherryblossomparty, dedication of the new pool, midsommar, and so on. You see, germans use every possibility to celebrate. wink.gif it would be nice to pick up the guitar and strum some songs with others.
It would be awesome to play a Foo Fighters song before I turn 40. smile.gif.I also like classical music (btw: Mozart Rocks is amazing! )
Actually I would like to play "easy" songs of my favorites. Do you need to kwow a paticular direction yet?
What do you think I should prefer to start learning? Acoustic or electric?
About my gear: I have an acoustic. And I could lend an electric. I should be able to record my progress( video and audio), at least I think so.

Ok, where do you want me to start ( remember- I just know that a guitar has a hole and 6 strings)?
Oh, now I made myself too worse- maybe: I know how to fret a C, D and Em chord. biggrin.gif
smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2012, 12:28 PM
Instructor
Hi Jessi! Thanks for choosing me and for all your nice thoughts smile.gif The acoustic is EXACTLY what you need at this point smile.gif

My idea is to get you acquainted to the first important elements of guitar playing - especially rhythm and chord changing!

These are the two essential elements which I would like to start working with you smile.gif

We shall start with Bear Rose's lessons and then, after going through all the strumming and shifting available there, we can choose songs which you can learn and then record yourself playing at a later moment smile.gif

How does the plan sound?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 23 2012, 10:02 PM
Hi Cosmin,

I think you're right.
Today I started the first lesson from Bear Rose. I tried to practise the chord shifts for this lesson. The G chord is my enemy! mad.gif And I don't get the strumming pattern. So I use a simpler one. Do you want me to record this?
I don't understand the theory behind all this somehow. wacko.gif
After the fifth rage attack I'll go to bed ( with my bloody fingertips ) biggrin.gif

Jessi

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 24 2012, 08:55 AM
Instructor
Hey Jessi smile.gif

Yes, I would like you to record this and taking things one at a time:

1) A good exercise for being able to shift chords would be the following:

- set a very slow tempo on the metronome - 60BPM in quarter notes - it will go slowly like 1 2 3 4, 1 2 3 4 etc. - the bold numer 2 is the first beat
- forget about your right hand
- use your left hand to change the chord positions on beat 1
- as you get more confident, increase the tempo with about 5 units each time until you get to the desired speed

2) A good exercise for the right hand would be the following:

- isolate the right hand pattern and try to understand it:

If you count 1, 2, 3, 4 - each beat in the bar like in the previous exercise, over the original recording, you will notice that, you will play each chord on the 1st, a bit before the 3rd beat and on the 4th beat.

- now, mute all the strings with your left hand so that you can hear only 'chuck chuck' having no notes ringing out.
- exercise the strumming pattern with the metronome set as in the first exercise, paying close attention to where it occurs against the beats and muting the strings so that you can focus only on the right hand.

Does this seem nasty? Exercise 3) will be a combo between 1) and 2) which would suppose that you can link the left with the right and play the whole piece smile.gif

What say you miss Jessi?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 24 2012, 10:55 PM
Hey mister Cosmin smile.gif ,

be prepared for over two minutes of insane guitar playing biggrin.gif . It's terrible and awkward!!!
Today I focused on the chord shifts and timing. Because of my enemy I just use two fingers to beat him. biggrin.gif But tomorrow I try to use all fingers.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 25 2012, 01:49 AM
QUOTE (jessi @ Jul 24 2012, 05:55 PM) *
Hey mister Cosmin smile.gif ,

be prepared for over two minutes of insane guitar playing biggrin.gif . It's terrible and awkward!!!
Today I focused on the chord shifts and timing. Because of my enemy I just use two fingers to beat him. biggrin.gif But tomorrow I try to use all fingers.

Well done! Your already making progress smile.gif Keep it up!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 25 2012, 07:47 AM
Instructor
Hey Jessi smile.gif

I notice good progress as Todd stated! You are able to shift the chords almost perfectly and the notes ring out in a clear way - congratulations for that! I expect that the timing will be perfect once you get to use all your fingers biggrin.gif

Let's see a take with all the fingers and then move to exercising the right hand, ok? I also notice a healthy left hand stance and a Marty Friedman right hand pick holding stance tongue.gif Do you know the dude?

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 25 2012, 11:51 AM
I don' know Marty Friedman. But I just googled him and I think we have at least the same hairstyle. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 25 2012, 11:58 AM
Accomplished Rock Star
Just a short german thread hijacking laugh.gif

Jessi, you might be able to play "Wheels" be the Foo Fighters already with the chords you know now wink.gif

Grüße aus Rottweil

Christian

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 25 2012, 12:20 PM
Or maybe not. mellow.gif because I only know the chords D, Em, G ( just cheated) and C. And this won't work, will it??
Aside from the strumming wich I won't be able to cope. And than I get rage attacks again one after the other. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jul 25 2012, 12:26 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
Yes, these four chords will work wink.gif
But yeah, strumming might be a bit tough right now, but why not set a goal to be able to play it in a couple of weeks smile.gif

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2012, 09:18 AM
Instructor
Hey Jessi biggrin.gif I see Christian has stormed our thread tongue.gif

How are you faring with the shifting using all your fingers? Any thing I might assist with?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 26 2012, 09:45 AM
Hey mister Cos,

yesterday I practised shifting between the enemy-chord and the D-chord. I was able to use all my fingers for the G. But when fretting the D, the first string was always dampened by my ring finger dry.gif
I practictsed so hard (30 min.), that my fingertips where too bloody again to make a recording.

But I'll try to make a recording today!

Christian: that is a good idea, I must have a goal finally happy.gif

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 26 2012, 06:54 PM
OK - as promised: here my progress with the chord shift between the enemy and D:

It worked great because of my tequila cocktail to my left (we just have a pool party) tongue.gif
What do you think?

Cheers,
Jessi

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 26 2012, 07:15 PM
Instructor
Oh my...that kid in the background sounds terribly angry laugh.gif You have to learn 'Breakout' from Foo Fighters to shut him up biggrin.gif

I can see improvement in the fact that now you can hold the G chord down, but hey, let's try and strum with a pick wink.gif We should start dealing with the right hand a bit - it's not too good to leave one hand behind smile.gif

Anyway - in 45 minutes, I'll be in the chat room for the Thursday video chat smile.gif You are my guest and I would be honored if you would accept my invitation!

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 27 2012, 08:55 AM
Oh huh.gif I've just looked in here since uploading my last video - so I missed your invitation and chat dry.gif
I was just too lazy for going back to get the pick. I always use a pick when practicing..
So, what do you want me to do with my right hand then?

P.S. Actually this kid only jumped into the pool laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2012, 10:02 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jessi @ Jul 27 2012, 07:55 AM) *
Oh huh.gif I've just looked in here since uploading my last video - so I missed your invitation and chat dry.gif
I was just too lazy for going back to get the pick. I always use a pick when practicing..
So, what do you want me to do with my right hand then?

P.S. Actually this kid only jumped into the pool laugh.gif

Look back a few posts in this thread and you will notice I left a right hand exercise for you smile.gif

+Quote Post
jessi
Jul 27 2012, 12:56 PM
Sorry, you're right! Must've been the hangover because lots of cocktails yesterday... cool.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 27 2012, 01:17 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jessi @ Jul 27 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Sorry, you're right! Must've been the hangover because lots of cocktails yesterday... cool.gif

No problemmo missie, let's get to work then, shall we? smile.gif

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 08:06 PM