Call Of Duty 4, A New Bar For FPS Games
Ayen
Nov 17 2007, 01:54 PM
GMC:er
So I just beat the 4th installment of the Call of Duty series, and boy am I surprised. I expected a game, and what I got was nothing short of a legendary experience. The firefights were fun and realistic, AI was awesome, animations were fluid and realistic, and everything came off as lifelike. Calling the game "amazing" would be a huge understatement.

Through the game you play through the perspectives of the newbie 'Soap' McTavish of the British SAS, and Pvt. Paul Jackson of the US Marines. With the SAS, you're running around with the same teammates the entire time, being Gaz, Lt. Price (the same Price from the first Call of Duty, a familiar face you're glad to see again)and Griggs. With the Marines, the only name you'll really remember is Lt. Vasquez, but that's not to say it's less important, because the US portion of the game hosts some of the best firefights, and the most interesting events. You really feel a connection to the team, and come to terms with your role as the "Newbie"

There are some interesting levels, such as the Sniper level, where you find out a little bit more about one of the main characters. You get to snipe in one of the most realistic ways I've ever seen, factoring in wind change, and the Coriolis effect. The helicopter rides are also especially fun, ultrarealistic landscapes and whatnot.

While some games have had me finish them satisfied, I finished Call of Duty 4 in awe. Even hours after beating the game, I'm speechless from the sheer amount of thought and work that went into the ending, and the game itself. This game should be part of any gamer's collection.

Any comments?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 13)
Maximus
Nov 17 2007, 01:57 PM
What platform did you buy it for? I have a PS3 and a pretty hefty gaming PC. I have played all previous installments and will buy this one on your recommendation. Thanks for the post. Max

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
Ayen
Nov 17 2007, 02:04 PM
I share the 360 with a friend of mine (neither of us could afford it alone), and thats what I play it on. I've heard it comes out the best on the 360, and with Xbox Live, there are a ton of people to play online with.

Since you don't have a 360 though, I'd say go for the PC version. FPS Games are usually better on PC anyway.

Just a warning if you play the demo first, it's comparatively the worst level in the game, so don't get discouraged by it.

And wow, I didn't think anyone would take this post that seriously! You're very welcome Max!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Maximus
Nov 17 2007, 02:08 PM
I used to be a hardcore gamer before GMC monopolized my free time. I played BF2 for quite a while and still play every once in a while.

--------------------

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard, Ibanez rg 750, Ibanez Mikro, Washburn Acoustic
Amps: Crate GX 1600 1/2 Stack, Line 6 Spider 2, Vintage Kustom Tube Head
Effects: Line 6 POD X3 Live, Line 6 PocketPod
Misc: Line 6 FBV Express Foot Switch/Volume/Wah-Wah Pedal

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 17 2007, 11:02 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Decent game, very good action, great online play. i like how you can break a dogs neck when it attacks you laugh.gif

I abosoultely hate every call of duty game except modern warfare, in fact, any WWII Game i loathe.

Great game, but in my oppinion, i like the gameplay in Assassin's Creed way more(but they are two different games)

If you like COD4, Look up Operation Flashpoint 2, probably the most realistic looking game ive seen in awhile, there arent any gameplay videos yet, it still looks promising, i mean, they got 5,000+ polygons into a single grenade! thats gonna look ultra real, and ultra smooth. smile.gif

I Cant wait for Unreal Tournament 3, that will own every online game, EVER!!

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 17 2007, 11:03 PM

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 17 2007, 11:22 PM
I still need to get this game. I want it so bad, along with Assassin's Creed.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 18 2007, 01:20 AM
thats only about $130 for both laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 18 2007, 02:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
Just finished the game and I gotta say it was THE MOST intensive gaming experience I've ever had

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
Ayen
Nov 18 2007, 07:18 AM
I've played Assassin's Creed, up to the first assassination in Damascus. The grahpics are awesome, about as good if not better than Call of Duty 4's, but the gameplay is somewhat odd.

I love leaping across rooftops and scaling buildings, but there's something to be desired still.

For one, soldier AI is kind of underpowered. I can easily outrun anyone without a hitch. Another thing I was concerned about was the fact that you have to do 2 or 3 investigations before the actual assassination.

While they're not bad, and just a bit tedious, will I have to do this for all nine assassinations? I mean, at one point it's got to get boring to eavesdrop, run back, pickpocket, run back, then kill?

Though I'm sure the assassinations will make up for that

The assassinations themselves are some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. They start off with a cutscene, proving this person is worthy of the death he's about to receive. From there, you're free to fight him whichever way you want, sneak up behind him, jump at him and stab him with your hidden blade, etc.

For the first, I walked slowly through the crowd toward him, slightly shoving civilians away from me. I then started to pick up speed, until I was within about ten feet. From there, I jumped at him, unsheathed the hidden wrist-blade, and took him down. It was one of the most satisfying kills ever.

However, one cannot really compare Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty 4. While they have their pros and cons, they're two very different games, with different stories, and entirely different gameplay.

It's still a great game, but I haven't played it enough to really recommend it. I can say that IGN's review of it was extremely harsh though.

This post has been edited by Ayen: Nov 18 2007, 07:22 AM

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 18 2007, 07:35 AM
Assassins Creed gets harder, trust me, wait till memory block 3 and 4.

and as you progress, you gain the ability to counter, dodge, reach for further ledges when you jump, break grabs, you get a small bladed dagger, which has different kills and pros and cons to it, and throwing knives. You begin to fight the Templars, they are harder, and smarter, if you try to run across rooftops, they will run on the ground and then climb a building in front of you to ambush you, Your enemies will start to counter your attacks, and they become more aware of your presence.

Im on the.....4th assassination, or in the progress of ( i like to do every investigation for all assassinations, it pays off, you can get maps that show secret paths, learn where enemies are, find out where its best to enter a guarded castle/ fortress)

I just love this game.

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 18 2007, 08:03 AM

+Quote Post
Ayen
Nov 18 2007, 09:35 AM
Wow, sounds interesting, I've got to play it more!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 18 2007, 09:38 AM
Once you get the dagger, keep doing combo kills till you see the one where you kick a guys knee in, and break his neck, i love that one smile.gif

Wow i sound sadistic.... rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Nov 18 2007, 10:12 AM
God I need money...so many things I want, yet i'm broke right now.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Nov 18 2007, 10:26 AM
Yeah so am i,

i got some money, but i cant spend it til wednesday, when Mass Effect comes out smile.gif

good thing i paid for it last week, cause i have $11 in my wallet. and i dont work this week so i gots no paycheck for awhile sad.gif

This post has been edited by The Uncreator: Nov 18 2007, 10:31 AM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:41 PM