Completely New, I just started and wanted to ask some questions not covered in lessons
Jared
Aug 12 2007, 03:18 AM
GMC:er
Hey, first off, this site kicks ass.

Second, I'm completely new so I want to make sure I don't develop any bad habits.

I'm trying to make sure not to palm the neck and come straight down with my fingers but I'm still getting use to it.

When I play, I tend to always look at the strings I'm picking. Is this good or bad? Should I not look at anything or at fingering the notes?

When I look at the notes I need to play it seems to slow me down. If I don't look at the strings I miss them sometimes. Will I start getting muscle memory on where the strings are?

I'm working on the scales right now. I'm still kinda confused on how to incoporate those into the tabs an such but I JUST started playing electric like 2 days ago and played a little acoustic with no formal training before that.

I figure I'll just get it to where I can run up and down the scales real well without making almost any mistakes then I can start messing with them. It's the mechanical way, I know, but you can't improvise stuff you don't know.

Thanks for the help and I hope I have this in the right place.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, consider it a victory.

My setup (just started):
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Fender Champ 30W (used)

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
fire
Aug 12 2007, 03:46 AM
Hi & welcome to gmc, I hope you have a good time!

To answer your first question: it's completly okay if you put your palm on the neck, but you mustn't mute the string(s) you're playing with ( exception: you're using the palm muting technique ).

to answer the second question: there aren't any rules, but for sure, it's better to play without looking to your hands, fretboard etc... exspecially when playing frmo tabs it'll make you slower and additionally there's danger to lose the correct position where you are in the piece of music.
But when you play things learned by heard, I would suggest you to look at the fretboard, when needed, f.e. when changing the fingering laugh.gif position ( f.e. index finger from fret 1 to 7 ) or at a position you don't feel confident. But as long as possible you should try not to look at the fretboard. Looking at the picking hand I'd never do, after a short while played, it will ( no joke here! ) work better without looking at the picking hand, and when looking at it, you'll get confused... so don't habitude to look here.

Yes, you'll get "muscle memory" smile.gif in where the strings are. Train, train, train. But except some complicated string skipping exercised it won't take too long. Important: I couldn't figure out whether you play with plektrum or not. With eguitar you have to. So try playing with picks if you don't already do.

To get the scales in the fretboard there are "boxes" in which you can find all notes of the scale at one fingering a time ( f.e. fret 7-10 ). Just look it up, you'll find quickly. ( Send pm shouldn't you be sure about it )

Yep, you should know the scales mechanically smile.gif but by using them in improvisations you'll get confident with them faster then just running them up and down. Good luck and fun with your guitar!!
I hope I could have helped.

Tobi

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
If you think you understood what I said, you neglect that the things you hear, are different from the thing I thought of. - Got it?

+Quote Post
Nick325
Aug 12 2007, 03:48 AM
QUOTE (Jared @ Aug 11 2007, 10:18 PM) *
Hey, first off, this site kicks ass.

Second, I'm completely new so I want to make sure I don't develop any bad habits.

I'm trying to make sure not to palm the neck and come straight down with my fingers but I'm still getting use to it.

When I play, I tend to always look at the strings I'm picking. Is this good or bad? Should I not look at anything or at fingering the notes?

When I look at the notes I need to play it seems to slow me down. If I don't look at the strings I miss them sometimes. Will I start getting muscle memory on where the strings are?

I'm working on the scales right now. I'm still kinda confused on how to incoporate those into the tabs an such but I JUST started playing electric like 2 days ago and played a little acoustic with no formal training before that.

I figure I'll just get it to where I can run up and down the scales real well without making almost any mistakes then I can start messing with them. It's the mechanical way, I know, but you can't improvise stuff you don't know.

Thanks for the help and I hope I have this in the right place.

this should be in the introduce yourself part but kris or andrew will probaly move it

1) i still look at the strings sometimes too. when you first start its natural and then later on you get more comfortable. youve only been playing for 2 days (i think correct me if im wrong) so its okay

2) well when you look at the notes it slows you down if you not used to it. for example when i practice something new start of slowly so when you know it you can play it fast and still look at the notes.

3) well a scale put into tabs would be: for example A minor pentatonic

----------------------------5-8---------------
-----------------------5-8--------------------
------------------5-7-------------------------
-------------5-7------------------------------
--------5-7-----------------------------------
--5-8-----------------------------------------

and you use scales to improvise write solos. its good that your learning scales early its helpful later on. check out andrews theory lessons
here

Also maybe check out the beginner lessons

here

GOOD LUCK! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Jared
Aug 12 2007, 04:18 AM
Thanks for the help. I'm already getting it to where I don't have to look at the strings. I can "feel" them better now (there's an underlying sexual feeling in my posts, isn't there tongue.gif ).

I'm not having a problem playing the scales and I slightly understand how it works but I'm probably going to really have to read up on the theory to be able to use them.

Ya, I use a pick btw. And I'm working to get the scales down smoothly so I can move on in the beginner's lessons.

Thanks again and expect a few more questions from me, I'm sure. biggrin.gif

--------------------
If you expect a kick in the balls and get a slap in the face, consider it a victory.

My setup (just started):
ESP LTD MH-100QMNT
Fender Champ 30W (used)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 12:24 PM