Lick Analysis Challenge 2
The Professor
Aug 10 2013, 11:36 AM
Theory Instructor
To help build our understanding and application of the different theory concepts we are covering here in the Professor’s Theory Guide, I will be posting various licks for us to analyze and check out together.

Here is the a fun little lick, written out over an Am chord.

To begin, try and learn the pattern on the guitar, always good to apply any theory concept and scale pattern to your instrument.

Attached Image

Then, try and answer the following questions, posting them below and using the “spoiler” button to the left of this page to keep others from seeing your answers.

1. What is the mode used in this pattern?

2. What is the “parent” scale for this mode (i.e. the major scale that it is built from).

3. What is the “characteristic” note of this mode, what makes it sound like it does?

4. What would be the notes of this mode if you wrote it out starting on the note C?

Spoiler:
1. A Dorian
2. G Major
3. Natural 6th
4. C D Eb F G A Bb C

Post your answers below and I’ll be glad to check them out and help out with any questions you may have about this lick and mode.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HungryForHeaven
Aug 10 2013, 06:41 PM
Learning Tone Master
Spoiler:
1. I played the notes and heard something like B phrygian. Then I realized the underlying chord is Am, so I suppose A dorian would be the mode. smile.gif
2. G
3. F# (major 6th) is the single note that differs from A minor (aeolian).
4. C D Eb F G A Bb

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
The Professor
Aug 11 2013, 07:32 AM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (HungryForHeaven @ Aug 10 2013, 06:41 PM) *
Spoiler:
1. I played the notes and heard something like B phrygian. Then I realized the underlying chord is Am, so I suppose A dorian would be the mode. smile.gif
2. G
3. F# (major 6th) is the single note that differs from A minor (aeolian).
4. C D Eb F G A Bb

that's it, nice one mate!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 07:36 AM