Getting To That "next" Level
JadedWolf465
Jun 3 2009, 01:42 AM
GMC:er
Hey guys,

I've been practicing a lot and playing much more recently. For the most part, I've realized that I can do a lot of the level 5 and under video lessons here. Anything above that usually kicks my rear end pretty badly. So I just wanted to know if there are any suggestive lessons or songs to practice that can help me slowly get to that level?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 3 2009, 11:50 AM
Instructor
What kind of style are you playing?

It would be interesting to find out what your strong and weak areas are in playing.
Legato, alternate, economy, sweep picking, tapping, hammer ons and pull offs, muting, harmonics etc.

If you have reached the level where only something is missing, then its probably that you have to isolate specific technique and work on it a bit. For some people that can be alternate picking, for some economy or anything else but you get the idea here.

Hope that helps!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JadedWolf465
Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM

Hmm.. I mostly play melodious rock/modern rock, blues and soon to be some metal.

My strong areas are economy, legato, hammer ons, muting and I think thats about it. I never thought that maybe its some part of my playing thats missing, so I think I'll actually go learn some more things. Perhaps I've been going about htis the wrong way; I've just been looking for more progressively harder songs/solos to learn huh.gif

This post has been edited by JadedWolf465: Jun 3 2009, 02:25 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Jun 3 2009, 02:28 PM
Instructor
Well you can combine and mix both!
Learn new harder songs and at the same time learn and practice technique that you lack.
Now the question is what lessons can you play ? Have you done any REC recordings?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 3 2009, 02:31 PM
Instructor
What particular lesson do you have problems with so we can analyze what it takes to overcome the problem?

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 3 2009, 05:24 PM
Instructor
Few takes for REC would give us nice overview indeed. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
JadedWolf465
Jun 3 2009, 06:00 PM
As much as I'd love to record myself, I don't have a reliable form of audio/video recording or anything, so I'm pretty going to have to get as specific as I can with words tongue.gif

Alright, here are a few lessons that I've learned over the last week or two..

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/ballad...f_eric_johnson/
-I can almost play it perfectly, I mess up occasionally, around the 20 second mark with the pull off.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...rt-3-solo-no-1/
-I can handle myself pretty well on this one, I mess up occasionally in some faster passages, but that can be taken care of in a day or two.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/christ...k-solo-level-2/
-I can also play this well, with the exception of the sweep picking sections toward the ending.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...g-intermediate/
-This I can handle somewhat, except for the fast run that starts at the 20 second mark.

---------------
These are a few things that I can play perfectly, or really close;

Seize the Day solo - Avenged Sevenfold (solo starts at 2:49)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skHUpRrcVMM

Nothing Else Matters solo - Metallica (solo starts at 4:56)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XeYbAbu23Q

You Got It Bad solo - Usher (solo starts at 3:02)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig8Gcf3pBh4

November Rain - GNR
Time - Pinkl Floyd
Sunshine Of Your Love - Cream

---------------

As for what gives me problems;

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...advanced-level/
-That scares me tongue.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...lydian-soloing/
-That's also a bit too hard for me.

Thats at least a rough guide hopefully showing where I'm at. For the most part, I can handle most level 4 videos you throw at me, as well as a decent amount of level 5 videos. I also have tried playing other harder solo's, and some have been too hard for me even after trying time and time again, and it's led to me being really discouraged and kinda quitting the song altogether from lack of motivation/inspiration.

This post has been edited by JadedWolf465: Jun 3 2009, 06:02 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 3 2009, 06:21 PM
Instructor
Levels are pretty much relative imo and don't say a lot.
I do get kind an idea about your playing but it's very hard
to judge or suggest if you cannot see the player.
You should really get some gear for recording audio and video,
nothing fancy and too expensive, only basic tools.
You can record audio in Reaper per example,
webcam or any other cam would be fine for video,
windows media maker can sync everything nicely etc.
Plus there's almighty Youtube,
everyone is posting takes daily, you should have as well. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
JadedWolf465
Jun 4 2009, 08:18 PM
I definitely have a problem with sweeping, considering that I haven't even practiced it up until starting yesterday. I am using an SG Epiphone and I lowered the action a bit yesterday.

Perhaps I'd be better off learning more about economy and alternate picking, because most of the time I can handle certain songs and riffs well (Last Resort w/minor troubles, plug in baby, black dog, etc.). But anything faster than those, I really struggle on. This is increasingly annoying for me, because most of my favorite songs which inspire me are much faster than the pace of those riffs/songs.

Is economy picking better to try and learn more in-depth as opposed to alternate picking? Any suggestive lessons that'd help me learn faster?

This post has been edited by JadedWolf465: Jun 4 2009, 08:18 PM

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 6 2009, 09:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JadedWolf465 @ Jun 4 2009, 09:18 PM) *
I definitely have a problem with sweeping, considering that I haven't even practiced it up until starting yesterday. I am using an SG Epiphone and I lowered the action a bit yesterday.

Perhaps I'd be better off learning more about economy and alternate picking, because most of the time I can handle certain songs and riffs well (Last Resort w/minor troubles, plug in baby, black dog, etc.). But anything faster than those, I really struggle on. This is increasingly annoying for me, because most of my favorite songs which inspire me are much faster than the pace of those riffs/songs.

Is economy picking better to try and learn more in-depth as opposed to alternate picking? Any suggestive lessons that'd help me learn faster?

Take your time with these techniques man, and be patient you cannot progress over night with anything. We are progressing every day, except we don't notice it that often, but if you check out where you were one year ago you will see how much you've already mastered the guitar.
For now, keep it to the basics, and learn scales and chords. This will allow you to better understand your practice and playing. As far as techniques go, any technique is good, and choosing one over another is completely your decision. Alternate picking and economy picking are two different techniques that need lot of work, and you can apply then in various situations, so it is good to start covering them both. AP is more widely used so it may be a good thing to focus on it more, but in essence all techniques are important as you cover more territory. With more techniques your playing becomes more versatile and interesting.

Let us know how we can help further man smile.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jun 6 2009, 10:23 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JadedWolf465 @ Jun 4 2009, 09:18 PM) *

Both are important equally but maybe AP is used a bit widely as Ivan said, yeah.

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 11 2009, 11:53 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
See which techniques you find hard on those over level 5 lessons. Identify them and then work on them individually (vibrato, AP, etc). You can practice those techniques with a metronome and exercises made for them. Then when you develop those techniques in question - get back to the lesson and I'm sure you won't have problems with it! smile.gif

Cheers

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:44 AM