2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Four Notes Per String Open/closed Alternate Picking Pattern, Quick Licks #19 (Open and Closed Alternate Picking )
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2018, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
QUICK LICKS #19 (Open and Closed Alternate Picking )

INTRO:

In this Quick Licks we are going to use open and closed fretting to get four notes per string out of only fretting 3 notes per string. Strike EVERY SINGLE NOTE. Keep everything palm muted as we are traversing every string all the way up and down. This lick will show you if you actually know how to mute string noise. If you get string noise while playing this, it will show you where your gaps are. Once you get this down, it makes a great warm up lick and a great way to work on your precision/speed while avoiding string noise. If you can get a good handle on this, running scales up the neck will seem easier.

Here is the tablature. Go over it slowly, note by note. Then play it slowly as well. Don't try to "shred" it right away

Attached Image

Attached File  19.gp5 ( 2.01K ) Number of downloads: 111

BACKGROUND / COMMENTS

This lick makes a GREAT Alternate Picking drill and once you get it down, you can increase your precision/speed. Try it with a metronome or ez drummer to make sure you are keeping time.

BTW:
This is just a starting point, Once you play the lick as written at least once, feel free to modify it and do your own thing with it! Pick more/less, change the distance between fingers, try it at different points on the neck etc. Add this drill to your daily practice routine. Future you will thank you for it

GIVE EM HELL!

Todd

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 16 2018, 03:14 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 21 2018, 10:21 PM
Experienced Rock Star
My take Sarge!!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 22 2018, 04:18 AM
I should have known that it would be THE SPARTAN who would be first to fight! You are so far the ONLY one to take this lick on. This lick requires a good stretch and you have to stick the landing again with the PINKKY on every single string all the way up and down. Yet another, "miss one note and start over" lick. But per usual you don't miss a single note!!! Good muting here as this type of lick is very prone to string noise. Using every string will show any gaps in your muting technique. If you have gaps in your muting, you'd probably avoid this type of lick. Not you!!! Jumped in and KILLED IT. Makes a great warm up lick as well!!

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!
(Also, you have completed EVERY SINGLE QUICK LICKS so you just earned the STAR OF HONOR)

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (George Hlio @ Mar 21 2018, 05:21 PM) *
My take Sarge!!!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Mar 22 2018, 04:20 AM

+Quote Post
George Hlio
Mar 22 2018, 08:41 AM
Experienced Rock Star
So cool Sarge!!! I'll start putting these precious badges to my signature!!!
Thanks Sarge!!

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Apr 24 2018, 10:38 PM
Learning Rock Star

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 3 2018, 07:48 PM
KILLED IT!!! Per usual you just krushed it and made it look easy. Your picking is spot on, muting is solid, and your string traverse is smooth as glass. You really are making these look like they are a breeze to play. This is great workout for traversing all of the strings. If you had any issues with muting, this would show them. The good news is that you have zero issues with your muting. Each strike is clean and your hand synch is very tight.

In other words you just...

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Apr 24 2018, 05:38 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 3 2018, 07:48 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 4 2018, 07:00 PM
Hi. I tend to suck when it comes to open strings. So decided to give this one a go.

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 5 2018, 02:03 AM
Monkey!! Great to see you in QUICK LICKS!!!!! From watching your fingers you look like you are KILLING IT!!!! The only glitch is I can't really hear what your playing? You can use a cell phone cam for these, no prob. Just gotta keep your hands in view and get the speaker/amp a little closer to the mic on the cell phone. Your fingers are really flying and it looks like you even loop it! Give this one more quick shot so I can hear you killing it and it's level up time!!! I think you could burn through all of these without too much trouble given how easy you make this one look!

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ May 4 2018, 02:00 PM) *
Hi. I tend to suck when it comes to open strings. So decided to give this one a go.

Looks like you are killin it here as well! I just can barely hear it? I'm not sure why it's coming out so quiet. Can you hear it on your end? Play my vid and then play this vid and see if you can hear what I"m talking about?

Todd

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ May 4 2018, 02:00 PM) *

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
May 12 2018, 05:22 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 12 2018, 09:49 PM
Thats it!! You've got it smile.gif I can hear a little better this time ( try for more volume next time if possible?) and I can see your hands since it's not in the dark anymore which is great. I'm looking at it vertically which is easily fixed by just turning your camera sideways instead of leaving it vertical. These are just small production matters that get worked out over time smile.gif Let's talk about your performance!!!

Exactly what I want to see!! At your level of play I think you could complete all of the quick licks in single weekend. You have much more dexterity than I remember and your pick articulation is much better as well!!!! Nicely done smile.gif From what I can see you have good muting and hand synch. The audio won't let me hear your pick strikes but we will work with what we have. That's all one can really do, takes what is available and move forward, learning on the way smile.gif You've got this one down. Add it to your warm up routine and it will get your fingers/synch/precision/speed going in a very positive direction! And you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ May 12 2018, 12:22 PM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 12 2018, 09:49 PM

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 15 2018, 01:36 PM
Learning Roadie
Lick 19

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2018, 03:16 AM
I have to take the blame on this one for not being specific enough. I am looking for this one to be picked at every single note position. So four pick strikes per string. Watch my vid and the other vids above for some good demos. I've changed the intro text to be more specific. You clearly can kill this!! once more pick everything!

Todd
QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 15 2018, 08:36 AM) *
Lick 19

+Quote Post
onetabmat
Aug 28 2018, 12:56 PM
Learning Roadie

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 29 2018, 11:58 PM
AND KRUSHED IT!!!! This one uses every single string so it's got wads of potential for string noise. It requires a good palm mute which you clealry have. Also hand synch has to be on point as the lick never stops. constant traverse and picking. You pick each note, keep it all clean, don't rush or lag, nice!!!!
This one is in the books and you are moving on!!!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Todd

QUOTE (onetabmat @ Aug 28 2018, 07:56 AM) *

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 25 2018, 08:52 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Take 1 for examination Todd. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/yyxOs5TSqHM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 09:10 PM
Nice!!! I like how you did it both ways! Picked everything and the strike once hammer many approach. Both are good methods and both have their place. Picking everything works your alternate picking and traverse picking skills while the strike once approach works your left hand power. Both versions make a great warm up/cool down and it works as a solo lick for anything in A Minor!
You have very clean strikes on your picked version and you have solid palm muting on your hammer many version which is great because the hammer many version is fighting against the palm mute in order to make any sound at all with the strings! It's the "Mute pull off" sound that I dig so much and that has a bit of "Paul Gilbert" about it. Super well done!!!! Not to mention that Black Beauty you are playing. Makes me want one every time I see it!!

You just...
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

Todd

QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 25 2018, 03:52 PM) *
Take 1 for examination Todd. Thanks.

https://youtu.be/yyxOs5TSqHM

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 25 2018, 09:10 PM

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 25 2018, 09:29 PM
Thanks Todd, glad you like it. I got that Ibby ex display, it's got a couple of chips on the body from careless testers and one sent on the back of the neck right by the heel. The chips are disguised with the deft use of a permanent marker and the neck sent is not an issue. I got for for £575 (around $740)

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 25 2018, 09:58 PM
I bought an EX via ebay and the guy was careless in packing it and THE NECK SNAPPED right at the lock nut. I was heart broken. It was a very cool red EX with a reverse headstock. Probably should have just kept it and gotten another neck smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 25 2018, 04:29 PM) *
Thanks Todd, glad you like it. I got that Ibby ex display, it's got a couple of chips on the body from careless testers and one sent on the back of the neck right by the heel. The chips are disguised with the deft use of a permanent marker and the neck sent is not an issue. I got for for £575 (around $740)

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 26 2018, 12:23 PM
I got this one from my friends shop, he was selling it for a friend of his who had closed his guitar shop. Love the Team J Craft case wink.gif

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 25 2018, 09:58 PM) *
I bought an EX via ebay and the guy was careless in packing it and THE NECK SNAPPED right at the lock nut. I was heart broken. It was a very cool red EX with a reverse headstock. Probably should have just kept it and gotten another neck smile.gif

Todd

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 27 2018, 05:03 AM
If anyone asks, "Yup, it's a Jcraft" smile.gif

Todd
QUOTE (Phil66 @ Oct 26 2018, 07:23 AM) *
I got this one from my friends shop, he was selling it for a friend of his who had closed his guitar shop. Love the Team J Craft case wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:47 PM