Question About Ibanez Rg / Whammy & Pickups, Few questions, would like recommendations also
LaneGriff
Feb 5 2008, 06:44 PM
GMC:er
Hello GMCers

I have a few questions for you guys and would like you to share some opinions also

My guitar now (Gibson Les Paul) was a gift from my father (and hes been known to take it to gigs) so I really don't want to modify it regarding pickups. It also has no whammy bar! I have been in love with Ibanez RG models for a long time and have always wanted one, but the more research I do, the more things I hear from people that turn me down.

Now I am dead set on getting an EMG-81 in something because I just love the sound

So here are my questions

1. on the RGT42DXFM model, in order to change out the pickups to say EMG-81 bridge and 85 neck... would I need to buy another "aftermarket" single coil for the mid pick up?

2. I've heard that the whammy is sub par on these models, what do you guys think? I know nothing about the things.

3. I want to start my quest of mastering whammy harmonics, what do you guys think of this model and pick up selection for this.

Anyone have one of these models and care to share how they feel about it?

Thank you guys in advance smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
IPB Image
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 5 2008, 06:56 PM
I'll let the pickup experts around here answer your first question, but as far as the whammy goes, it is somewhat lower quality than that of the higher end Ibanez models. This is still an awesome guitar, but I 'd really recommend getting a higher end Prestige which is equiped with the Edge Pro Tremelo. This one that your looking at has an Edge III trem. I believe that you will be able to achieve a more stable tuning with the Edge Pro. Here's the guitar that I own,
RG2550e. Just research it some. wink.gif

The 2550e kicks ass, btw. cool.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Owen
Feb 5 2008, 07:16 PM
The whammy bar on the lower end Ibanezes is rather poor, but they are just a straight replacement for an Official Floyd Rose so if you have your heart set on replacing parts then that might be the way to go, might just cost less to buy a Prestige with a better bar in the first place though like SLASH91 suggested. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Lorry
Feb 6 2008, 04:17 AM
I have an RG370DX which has the same pickup arrangement, and just last week I swapped out my pickups for a set of SD Blackouts. I left the middle pickup in the guitar to cover up the hole, but it isn't wired in. I believe EMG make a single coil sized active pickup if you really wanted the middle pickup to be functional, otherwise just leave it out. If you do decide you want to run with the 81/85 only without a middle pickup, you need to wire the 5-way switch differently, but its not hard

With regards to the harmonics, I don't think the active pickups have made it any easier to pull off a harmonic, but they do ring out for much longer. The sustain is massive smile.gif

+Quote Post
KloCkWorXx
Feb 8 2008, 05:00 PM
whammy harmonics are easy.. id say how new your strings are is more important then the pickups haha

but id say pay for an ibanez that has the setup u want stock.. cause in the long run it will hold its resale value if u ever wanna sell it, or move on to a nicer guitar.. i wouldnt wanna buy a three pickup guitar modded with a dead center pickup n modded 5 way..

and as for harmonics my opinions are pinched harms comeout really good on the emg - 81, but my bill lawarence pick up with natural harmonics is incredible for whammy dives n squels..

--------------------
My gear:
epi zakk wylde
ec 1000 cherry
js 100 w dimarzios
dean from hell
5150 half stack
micro cube
Effects: boss delay dd-6, EH small clone chorus, Wylde Wah, Heil talkbox, Boss super overdrive, Rp 250
NS2 Noise Suppressor, DOD YJM308 Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive

+Quote Post
Goliath
Feb 8 2008, 09:16 PM
I'd pickup a Hellraiser FR if you're not too turned off by the neck (much thicker than the wizard on the Ibz), but it will be similar to your LP neck, for sure. Comes with 81/85. Set neck, super strat. Gorgeous finish. That guitar is a helluva value.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
LaneGriff
Feb 11 2008, 07:33 PM
Thank you guys for all the input

and wow that Hellraiser looks fantastic!

Do you guys recommend the FR trem? I hear all the disadvantages with the tuning and everything. I play alot in Drop C... would I basically have to use the LP for Drop C and keep for instance that Hellraiser in standard all the time?

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Feb 11 2008, 09:24 PM
Instructor
I'd say EGde Pro tremolo is for you. Save the money for an expencier guitar with the Egde Pro. You will have poor tuning with EGde III, specially with dropped tunings.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Feb 11 2008, 11:07 PM
QUOTE (LaneGriff @ Feb 11 2008, 12:33 PM) *
Do you guys recommend the FR trem? I hear all the disadvantages with the tuning and everything. I play alot in Drop C... would I basically have to use the LP for Drop C and keep for instance that Hellraiser in standard all the time?

That's what I would do, because downtuning with the Floyd Rose is truly a pain in the ass. I do recommend a FR if you ever want to become proficient with a whammy bar. If not, don't get it. wink.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
LaneGriff
Feb 12 2008, 05:12 AM
thank you guys, you shed alot of light on what I needed to know

I'm really liking that Hellraiser!

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 11:54 AM