6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
What Are You Currently Working On?
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 2 2014, 07:40 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 1 2014, 02:34 PM) *
These are some things that I wish I would have known years ago. Yes metronome work helps with being accurate and clean, but if over done you get burnt out. Have to find that nice area where its not too much or too little. I may do my stretches, then get into just running some exercises without a metronome, then say 10 minutes later I will kick it on for say 15 minutes. Then start working on a project for some ideas, then kick in a snare or something as my metronome and start to add everything in. This way you are truly practicing your techniques just never come to realize it in the least because you see it as well I'm writing music. This has made me feel as if I've become a better player, but a musician as well.

You pointed a very important thing here mate: practicing without purpose can quickly get you burned out.

Now practicing in order to nail a lick which you need in your improvisation or song, that's a purpose smile.gif

I think that at the end of each practice/guitar playing session, we should be able to 'put our hands' on what we have achieved that day - playing a song better and more expressive, nailing 5%BPM more on our favorite lick, learning a new chord progression and applying it into a personal composition. Have you ever tried practicing in this manner?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 2 2014, 09:45 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 2 2014, 02:40 AM) *
You pointed a very important thing here mate: practicing without purpose can quickly get you burned out.

Now practicing in order to nail a lick which you need in your improvisation or song, that's a purpose smile.gif

I think that at the end of each practice/guitar playing session, we should be able to 'put our hands' on what we have achieved that day - playing a song better and more expressive, nailing 5%BPM more on our favorite lick, learning a new chord progression and applying it into a personal composition. Have you ever tried practicing in this manner?

Everything I come across tends to have the basic chords. No need for the majors and the 5ths and such. So really no matter the order its pretty easy, then again when I toss in distortion it goes into power chords. So I try to work my picking and see if I can add maybe a groove into it so you can get a feel for things on top of just hearing the music.

Licks, I can tell I grew up listening to Metallica/Zakk Wylde era. I tend to do the 2 note per string runs up and add a bend before and maybe after. But I do notice that when I practice other songs not really the notes but the technique ends up in something I was working on. Just because it feels so much more natural.

As much as I love speed, I try not to even be concerned with that. I know some days you may gain 0 increase on the BPM, but you can use less concentration and nail it better like your body is getting use to it and can autopilot the lick. Then after a day I may worry more about speeding it up because by then you are way cleaner and getting that nice smooth tone from start to finish.

Thats about what I've learned in my 2-3 yrs of GMC. There is more involved in playing than just picking and weedling on a some strings. biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 2 2014, 03:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 2 2014, 05:45 AM) *
Everything I come across tends to have the basic chords. No need for the majors and the 5ths and such. So really no matter the order its pretty easy, then again when I toss in distortion it goes into power chords. So I try to work my picking and see if I can add maybe a groove into it so you can get a feel for things on top of just hearing the music.

Licks, I can tell I grew up listening to Metallica/Zakk Wylde era. I tend to do the 2 note per string runs up and add a bend before and maybe after. But I do notice that when I practice other songs not really the notes but the technique ends up in something I was working on. Just because it feels so much more natural.

As much as I love speed, I try not to even be concerned with that. I know some days you may gain 0 increase on the BPM, but you can use less concentration and nail it better like your body is getting use to it and can autopilot the lick. Then after a day I may worry more about speeding it up because by then you are way cleaner and getting that nice smooth tone from start to finish.

Thats about what I've learned in my 2-3 yrs of GMC. There is more involved in playing than just picking and weedling on a some strings. biggrin.gif

There is fantastic stuff happening here Spase. Thanks for sharing your experience here. You are practicing and creating music at the same time so I just have words to congrats you on your approach.

I'm curious to know if you record and keep all those ideas and if you use to finish the song and have some demos. Do you have a library of ideas? Do you have some finished songs? Are you planing to do anything with them?

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 2 2014, 07:36 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 2 2014, 10:00 AM) *
There is fantastic stuff happening here Spase. Thanks for sharing your experience here. You are practicing and creating music at the same time so I just have words to congrats you on your approach.

I'm curious to know if you record and keep all those ideas and if you use to finish the song and have some demos. Do you have a library of ideas? Do you have some finished songs? Are you planing to do anything with them?

I really can't just pick up and write a song quite yet. I can get a backing track and go from there if something clicks. I have all my collaborations since I started in a folder, minus a few maybe, but I think its all of them.

Let It Go, I've got I think 2 recordings I had a junk play over to see if it matches. Then the next one was to kind of get the timing and feeling before I start the main tracks which replaced the junk play. Considering it's the same thing just longer and a bit more detailed and closer to the timing. I now have a test tone track which has both rhythm guitars panned as if I have 2 players, I have more than a click track as I've been working on the drums a bit. Still need to extend the song just a hair then the rhythm half is completed minus all the eq/mixing half.

Back when I had my POD HD500 I use to loop a few chords from songs and play them that way. I've been thinking after I finish this song I may do some backings in the loop style and see what I can get then see maybe a few months down the road if they get better.

I play for me, but I'm sure if I was better and got the whole mixing/tone down things may change.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 3 2014, 08:16 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 2 2014, 08:45 AM) *

As Gabi said, it's amazing that you are on this journey and you are slowly discovering music as an ensemble and not just guitar playing in its technical aspects biggrin.gif It takes a bit of time, I know, because I was also absorbed by 'how to do THIS' instead of 'how do I express THIS?

Now about those chords smile.gif I was thinking that if you want to enrich your vocabulary, I would like to recommend these two:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Invert...ds-Progression/
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Chord-Melodies/'

Let me know what you think wink.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 3 2014, 08:45 AM
Learning Roadie
I'm working on Ben's Land of Legato, my left hand is lagging behind my picking hand, so this is a great way to focus more on getting it up to speed and working efficiently.

Also going back over Murius' Alt Picking and Legato beginners lesson, even though I passed it (my only rec take!) it could still be better and with a lot of slacking off in terms of practice, it needs some work to even get back to where I was.

Other than those, just going over pentatonics and major scale positions in interval sequences, to nail the patterns into my brain but also to do something more useful than just going up and down the scales, no one actually plays music like that!

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 3 2014, 03:13 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 3 2014, 04:45 AM) *
I'm working on Ben's Land of Legato, my left hand is lagging behind my picking hand, so this is a great way to focus more on getting it up to speed and working efficiently.

Also going back over Murius' Alt Picking and Legato beginners lesson, even though I passed it (my only rec take!) it could still be better and with a lot of slacking off in terms of practice, it needs some work to even get back to where I was.

Other than those, just going over pentatonics and major scale positions in interval sequences, to nail the patterns into my brain but also to do something more useful than just going up and down the scales, no one actually plays music like that!

A cool trick to practice scales and get out of the up and down boring practice is to create very short phrases and play the same idea in different parts of the scale over a backing track. Then you can make it evolve a bit.

Here is an example:

Let's say that you are practicing A Pentatonic minor scale and you create this short phrase:

Attached Image
Attached File  Phrase_1.gp5 ( 1.48K ) Number of downloads: 41

Then, you can move the same idea to other parts of the scale:

Attached Image
Attached File  Phrase_1_moved.gp5 ( 1.63K ) Number of downloads: 34

Then, you can create a variation and do the same thing:

Attached Image
Attached File  Phrase_2.gp5 ( 1.53K ) Number of downloads: 37

This could be a endless but very creative practice. It's funnier and also much more musical than just playing scales up and down or even than playing intervals. It can be used for any scale, and the best is to use a backing track.

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jul 3 2014, 03:14 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 4 2014, 01:43 AM
Been working on a song that I've been struggling with for a while. Finally adding a "chorus" type section. Hopefully it will have vocals soon from our very own JANICE HO!!!

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/memento-mori-updated-feat-janice-7314-538-pm

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 4 2014, 11:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 3 2014, 02:13 PM) *
A cool trick to practice scales and get out of the up and down boring practice is to create very short phrases and play the same idea in different parts of the scale over a backing track. Then you can make it evolve a bit.

Here is an example:

Let's say that you are practicing A Pentatonic minor scale and you create this short phrase:

Attached Image
Attached File  Phrase_1.gp5 ( 1.48K ) Number of downloads: 41

Then, you can move the same idea to other parts of the scale:

Attached Image
Attached File  Phrase_1_moved.gp5 ( 1.63K ) Number of downloads: 34

Then, you can create a variation and do the same thing:

Attached Image
Attached File  Phrase_2.gp5 ( 1.53K ) Number of downloads: 37

This could be a endless but very creative practice. It's funnier and also much more musical than just playing scales up and down or even than playing intervals. It can be used for any scale, and the best is to use a backing track.

Great idea Gabi! I heard Steve Vai talk about this sort of routine - he said that whenever he wants to master a phrase, he plays it in as many parts of the neck as possible, with as many techniques and in as many keys as possible.

So posterboy could also apply this idea to yours and make an even more crafty exercise:

- create a phrase in your favorite scale
- play it in as many parts of the neck in a certain key
- play it in as many keys as possible
- play it with alternate picking, legato, hybrid picking and tapping

A little bit of Steve Vai knowledge never hurt anyone, right? wink.gif

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Jul 4 2014, 12:55 PM
Learning Roadie
Some great ideas from you and Gab there, and they fit right into my current mindset for my practice routine.

Thanks

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 4 2014, 07:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Jul 4 2014, 08:55 AM) *
Some great ideas from you and Gab there, and they fit right into my current mindset for my practice routine.

Thanks

Excellent mate! Keep us updated about your creative routines and the results you get!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 4 2014, 10:27 PM
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/frozen-let-it-go

Guitars:
Rhythm - HPF @ 80hz , Notched @ 4k -6DB , LPF @ 10khz
Leads - HPF @ 120hz , Bump @ 500hz +1DB , LPF @ 8.5khz

Master:
Waves L3-LL Ultra - Threshold -6.0 , Out Ceiling -0.2
API-2500 - Used a preset

Kemper Rhythm: Bass - Noon , Mids - 11 o'clock , Highs - Noon
Kemper Lead: Bass - 1 o'clock , Mids - 2 o'clock , Highs - 11/12 o'clock
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All plugins used, a whopping 3! I think I got a good sound for the minimalist approach.
Considering I'm a noob with all of this multi-recording and tracking! It's pretty much
the first time I ever attempted to do a song for more than just a loop or collab solo.
But! I'm happy with my results, it can only get better from here. Been practicing some
techniques today and getting a new feel for playing as I've changed how I use my picking
hand. Doing the closed hand and I seem more relaxed with my soloing this way. smile.gif

Also you guys are talking note books, I just picked up 2 blank sheet music notebooks! tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 5 2014, 01:37 PM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I am not too much of a fan of these digital devices so I will let Gabi tell you a thing or two about parameters, so that you will achieve a better tone here. Instead, I wanted to talk to you about timing a little bit. It seems that your timing is a bit off pretty much everywhere in the tune, both in the riff part and in the lead parts.

I suggest you to isolate each and every part and practice it thoroughly before recording, so that each one may fit nicely over the track.

Since you can alter the speed of the drums, you should slow down the track and try practicing each part slowly. Have you tried that so far? I am sure that once you record at a slower tempo and isolate the tracks you will see where the timing is a bit faulty.

What do you think?

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 5 2014, 02:54 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jul 5 2014, 08:37 AM) *
Hey mate smile.gif I am not too much of a fan of these digital devices so I will let Gabi tell you a thing or two about parameters, so that you will achieve a better tone here. Instead, I wanted to talk to you about timing a little bit. It seems that your timing is a bit off pretty much everywhere in the tune, both in the riff part and in the lead parts.

I suggest you to isolate each and every part and practice it thoroughly before recording, so that each one may fit nicely over the track.

Since you can alter the speed of the drums, you should slow down the track and try practicing each part slowly. Have you tried that so far? I am sure that once you record at a slower tempo and isolate the tracks you will see where the timing is a bit faulty.

What do you think?

I <3 my Kemper, I just tend to leave it flat or a little bit of a notch that way its not overpowering. I did the same thing when I had a real amp as well.

Edit: Drumming, I had to toss the metronome on and kick off the drums. I marked a few spots and I want to say I'm slightly ahead of the tempo at the start. Then towards half-way to the end I kinda feel back in a better timing. I think maybe later today I may just re-record the entire thing. I can play with the tracking just fine, the minute I see the red circle on I go downhill fast. I feel like I'm trying so hard to get it right. But the drums may be slightly off as well considering I can't really get an idea as to a true tempo I had it at like 135 but then seemed maybe 137 was more fitting. I really don't have a clue with drums other than click click click. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by SpaseMoonkey: Jul 5 2014, 03:10 PM

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2014, 02:57 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 4 2014, 06:27 PM) *
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/frozen-let-it-go

Guitars:
Rhythm - HPF @ 80hz , Notched @ 4k -6DB , LPF @ 10khz
Leads - HPF @ 120hz , Bump @ 500hz +1DB , LPF @ 8.5khz

Master:
Waves L3-LL Ultra - Threshold -6.0 , Out Ceiling -0.2
API-2500 - Used a preset

Kemper Rhythm: Bass - Noon , Mids - 11 o'clock , Highs - Noon
Kemper Lead: Bass - 1 o'clock , Mids - 2 o'clock , Highs - 11/12 o'clock
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All plugins used, a whopping 3! I think I got a good sound for the minimalist approach.
Considering I'm a noob with all of this multi-recording and tracking! It's pretty much
the first time I ever attempted to do a song for more than just a loop or collab solo.
But! I'm happy with my results, it can only get better from here. Been practicing some
techniques today and getting a new feel for playing as I've changed how I use my picking
hand. Doing the closed hand and I seem more relaxed with my soloing this way. smile.gif

Also you guys are talking note books, I just picked up 2 blank sheet music notebooks! tongue.gif

Hi mate! This audio shows clearly that you are applying the way of practice that we have been discussing and that's great! This exercises are musical, and mastering them will give you both precision and musicality.

About the guitar tone, if you are using Kemper, I'm sure that you can improve your sound a lot. You have to keep on experimenting with different settings and possibilities. You have many amps, cabinets, mics, mic positions, effect. Also, I think that you must be a bit light headed with all those possibilities, and even more now that you are producing and mixing your backing tracks.

To start, I think that you guitars are lacking some frequencies around 3000 hz and 5000 hz. There is some definition lacking. Take a look at this video:

I'm curious, what amp and cabinet are you emulating with the patch you used?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 5 2014, 03:13 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jul 5 2014, 09:57 AM) *
Hi mate! This audio shows clearly that you are applying the way of practice that we have been discussing and that's great! This exercises are musical, and mastering them will give you both precision and musicality.

About the guitar tone, if you are using Kemper, I'm sure that you can improve your sound a lot. You have to keep on experimenting with different settings and possibilities. You have many amps, cabinets, mics, mic positions, effect. Also, I think that you must be a bit light headed with all those possibilities, and even more now that you are producing and mixing your backing tracks.

To start, I think that you guitars are lacking some frequencies around 3000 hz and 5000 hz. There is some definition lacking. Take a look at this video:

I'm curious, what amp and cabinet are you emulating with the patch you used?

I am actually using an Orange Thunderverb 200 matching cab. Most other things off the start didn't give me a decent mid range sound or lead. Which I tend to use an Engl or 6505 and both are true to that nature majority of the time.

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 5 2014, 03:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 5 2014, 11:13 AM) *
I am actually using an Orange Thunderverb 200 matching cab. Most other things off the start didn't give me a decent mid range sound or lead. Which I tend to use an Engl or 6505 and both are true to that nature majority of the time.

Oh, I see. That's why you have that dirty distortion which is very characteristic of Orange amps. Have you tried adding a tube screamer emulation before the amp? This trick will give you more sustain and drive and you will be able to lower a bit the drive from your amp.
I use to have more defined tones when I use this trick, mostly for lead guitar but it can also work for rhythm guitar.

Try it and let me know how is sounds!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 5 2014, 03:44 PM
https://soundcloud.com/socky42/test-1

Working on a new cover song for youtube cause it's summer and I have nothing better to do. laugh.gif

It's the first time i've tried triple tracking lead guitars (just the verse and chorus); 1 center, left and right. I assume that's what he did in the video too. Normally I record just the harmonies, this time around I recorded the lead guitar three times all the way through.

EZDrummer 2 sounds amazing btw, can't believe this is the default kit.

How does the mix and the solo at 1:53 sound? Didn't want to do a shreddy solo like in the video and I don't really like covering songs exactly like the original, so I went for some phrasing stuff instead; not sure if it sounds out of time or not at some parts.

--------------------

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
Jul 5 2014, 04:41 PM
https://soundcloud.com/spasemoonkey/lig-test/s-5lkeF

@Gab/Cosmin
4 Guitar Tracks - 2 High / 2 Low (100/70) Just like in the video Gab
2 Bass - One clean one slightly dirty Panned 20 L/R
2 Leads - Panned 40 L/R
Drums - The devils instrument! laugh.gif

@Socky42
Lol, you definitely are looking at the same guy I am. cool.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
Socky42
Jul 5 2014, 06:25 PM
QUOTE (SpaseMoonkey @ Jul 5 2014, 04:41 PM) *

Probably just down to personal preference, but i'd make it so your bass guitar fills up more of the bass and have your rhythm guitars be a bit brighter. Don't even bother panning your bass, have both clean and distorted bass in the middle. I do what Ola shows in his bass video, works for most things I work on. (Around 1:20)

This is what my guitar and bass normally sound like, but you'd want less distortion on your bass because your track is less 'busy'. https://soundcloud.com/socky42/bassdrumguitar/s-GFeW7

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:51 PM