2 Pages V   1 2 >  
How Do You Warm Up ?
Ben Higgins
Jan 9 2011, 01:05 PM
Instructor
Hi Guys,

In my latest lesson Ben's Land Of Legato I mention the importance of warming up. It's important that we all do this to preserve the health of our muscles, tendons and ligaments in order to avoid injury, either a sudden injury - or injury from overuse.

So my question is this : How do you guys warm up ? smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gitarrero
Jan 9 2011, 01:11 PM
Accomplished Rock Star
I use parts of Marcus Siepen's warm-up lesson here at GMC, parts of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline warm-up licks and a few stretches Todd taught me in the video chat. I will also start slow when I do an AP lesson, which is my usual starting point when I practice. I think your legato lesson also qualifies to be added to a warm-up routine at a slow tempo, right?
Christian

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check my band project with fellow GMCer VilleFIN
Facebook
Youtube
Soundcloud
Twitter
Instagram

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 9 2011, 01:13 PM
GMC:er
stretch my arms, hands and fingers, then let my arm kind "dead" and shake them, then i do some chromatic runs and skip mixing legato strings at 80 bpm then 120 bpm then 160 bpm and then 180bpm then go back to 120 and finish with 160 and i am warm up

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 9 2011, 01:16 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Jan 9 2011, 12:11 PM) *
I use parts of Marcus Siepen's warm-up lesson here at GMC, parts of John Petrucci's Rock Discipline warm-up licks and a few stretches Todd taught me in the video chat. I will also start slow when I do an AP lesson, which is my usual starting point when I practice. I think your legato lesson also qualifies to be added to a warm-up routine at a slow tempo, right?
Christian

That sounds good to me Christian. Yes, I would always start slow with left hand work... as our fingers have a lot to do, even when working at a slower tempo. Stretches are very important to increase blood flow and to help them work efficiently without stress. As well as forearm stretching, gently stretching the fingers themselves is a must. You probably do that anyway wink.gif

QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 9 2011, 12:13 PM) *
stretch my arms, hands and fingers, then let my arm kind "dead" and shake them, then i do some chromatic runs and skip mixing legato strings at 80 bpm then 120 bpm then 160 bpm and then 180bpm then go back to 120 and finish with 160 and i am warm up

A good warm up for sure, Monkey wink.gif Especially the letting the arms go loose, then shaking them. I do that too and is a good way of shaking out excess tension. It also has a psychological effect of loosening up too.

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 9 2011, 01:17 PM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 9 2011, 12:13 PM) *

also must of the days i wake up at 6 am to make some long runs so i have must of my body warm xD and ready to rock

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 9 2011, 02:11 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 9 2011, 12:17 PM) *
also must of the days i wake up at 6 am to make some long runs so i have must of my body warm xD and ready to rock

Man, that's dedication for ya ! wink.gif Now we all feel terribly unfit unsure.gif

+Quote Post
dark dude
Jan 9 2011, 09:45 PM
Start with chromatics 1-2-3-4 down all the strings then move up a position, to the 24th, back down - easy on the speed, to get some blood flowing.

Stretch using Todd's and Ramiro's suggestions. At least 10 seconds for each stretch, then repeated at least once or twice.

Do the stretches in Rock Discipline, along with the massaging of the hands. Then I move onto the first exercises in RD, where more stretching, but using the fretboard this time, is involved.

Repeat stretches in the second section.

Carry on cycling this until I can feel that I'm ready.

PS Ben, great lesson. People will probably overlook it as it's boring but they don't realise how it can propel your playing so much when you strengthen that hand.

This post has been edited by dark dude: Jan 9 2011, 10:00 PM

--------------------
Ibanez 2550E
LTD EC-1000 VB
Roland Cube 30W

+Quote Post
Fre
Jan 9 2011, 10:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
I normally go through this run https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Warming-up-with-Lian/
But now, as I see all your strecht and massage exercises I think I'll have to increase my warmup a bit smile.gif

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jan 9 2011, 11:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Uh....I never warm up. blink.gif I only stretch when I feel my body needs it. Or maybe I do and don't know it. mellow.gif
I just jam I guess. happy.gif

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Jan 10 2011, 04:52 AM
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 9 2011, 01:11 PM) *
Man, that's dedication for ya ! wink.gif Now we all feel terribly unfit unsure.gif

xD, ty but well i guess everyone can do it if you are like me.
i live a life of wierd schedule for example i go to sleep at 9pm and wake up at 4-5am, must of the time, you may ask : o don't you eat nothing xD well i have my dinner at 4 am.

and lately after using for a while i don't feel any need to change it...for example i am writing this at 3:36AM and i have school 8AM tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 10 2011, 06:04 AM
This is a great question. Warming up is very important. Not just to get your "creative flow" going, but to physically warm up your muscles and tendons. Particularly if you are going to be doing some "extreme" playing for an extended period of time, it's very important to do some light stretches on hands, wrists, forearms, etc. and get the blow going and the tendons loose. Wrist rolls, finger splits, wrist bends, etc. are a good way to get going before you get going.

Another important idea is "cooling down". After a really intense practice period, you may benefit from grabbing an ice cube and rubbing down your forearms a bit to prevent swelling and soreness. Especially if you are shredding, you will build up lactic acid in your arms. Think of it like a marathon runner. If you are going for a long run, you should warm up before and cool down after. If you are going for a light walk, the walk can serve as both warm up and cool down. So if you are doing some light blues phrasing, you can skip the stretches and ice. If you are shredding your face off, stretch, and cool down.

I gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome before I knew any better when I was practicing too much and not warming up/cooling down. It's just too easy to avoid if you know how.

Todd

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 10 2011, 10:50 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 10 2011, 05:04 AM) *
I gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome before I knew any better when I was practicing too much and not warming up/cooling down. It's just too easy to avoid if you know how.

Todd

Yeah, if only we knew these things before we got too deep into guitar !! wink.gif I'm currently rehabilitating my arm through Cubital Tunnel Syndrome, which effects the ulnar nerve on the inside of the elbow. I have no idea how I got it.. but I don't think it was actually through guitar. I've also suffered on and off with RSI (specifically Tennis Elbow) on the outer side of the same elbow !! Talk about worst of both worlds !! The annoying thing is neither of them were triggered by guitar playing, but the playing aggravated it and kept it going ! mad.gif

So it's a routine of stretches and easing off any activities which bend the elbow too much. In my experience and of observing others, I think that a lot of people don't hold the stretches for long enough. I used to just do them for a few seconds but now I will either do several repetitions of say, 10 or 15 seconds.. or I'll hold certain stretches for up to 30 seconds so they really have time to take effect. How did you cope with CTS Todd, and what measures did you have to take ?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2011, 01:15 PM
Instructor
Hey guys!

Ben, I was just about to post a topic which was very close to this one biggrin.gif but since you did it before me, I can only show my appreciation and try to come up with some extra feedback - a little video I'm preparing especially for GMC - not a guitar lesson, but a little anatomic trick, which will boost your hands in 10 minutes smile.gif (5 minutes for each hand) - it's gonna be scary the first time you try it, but trust me, it's done wonders for me.

I'll film it today and hopefully, I'll have it ready this week!

cheeerioooosss

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 10 2011, 04:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 10 2011, 12:15 PM) *
Hey guys!

Ben, I was just about to post a topic which was very close to this one biggrin.gif but since you did it before me, I can only show my appreciation and try to come up with some extra feedback - a little video I'm preparing especially for GMC - not a guitar lesson, but a little anatomic trick, which will boost your hands in 10 minutes smile.gif (5 minutes for each hand) - it's gonna be scary the first time you try it, but trust me, it's done wonders for me.

I'll film it today and hopefully, I'll have it ready this week!

cheeerioooosss

That sounds really interesting Cosmin, I look forward to seeing your video ! smile.gif

Oh..... sorry for kind of intercepting your idea !! unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jan 10 2011, 04:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jan 10 2011, 03:02 PM) *
That sounds really interesting Cosmin, I look forward to seeing your video ! smile.gif

Oh..... sorry for kind of intercepting your idea !! unsure.gif

Duuuuudee, nooo, don't say that, there's nothing to be sorry about!!
If we can complement each other's ideas, it doesn't matter who starts wink.gif

I'll let you know as soon as I am ready!

cheers

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jan 11 2011, 12:31 PM
Instructor
As an interesting side note.. I have something to add to the idea of keeping relaxed and loose. It may not be popular with some of you, but the fact is: Drinking lots of Coffee is not good for our muscular system. I don't have the exact medical terms but in short, caffeine stimulates our muscles and actually makes them more tense. They will tire much quicker and as we know, the more tense we are, the more prone to injury we are.

(Obviously this includes tea as well, but a cup of coffee has a larger amount of caffeine than 1 tea bag.)

I just have 1 coffee in the morning (I'm not going to totally cut it out - it's too good) and the rest of the day, just drink water or herbal teas. (I know, not very rock n roll... but not being able to play my guitar because I've over worked my self is even less cool)

The other thing to remember is that we need to keep our muscles hydrated so they can work properly. They need oxygen too ! smile.gif

So more water, less coffee ! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Stinger
Jan 11 2011, 02:52 PM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Jan 9 2011, 01:17 PM) *

I agree. My day starts at 6:20 am, when I need to go to work. After earning some guitar money there smile.gif I go to the gym for training, usually about 90 to 120 minutes.
When I come out of the shower afterwards, it's time to grab the guitar. After training, I feel relaxed and refreshed, and even if I'm kinda tired, my ability to concentrate and focus on practicing increases.

You should give it a try wink.gif

--------------------
"Just because you know umpteen billion scales, it doesn't mean you have to use them all in a solo." - Kirk Hammett

My gear:
ESP SV Standard WH
Marshall VS 232 R 2x30W Combo
BOSS GT-8

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 11 2011, 04:20 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I always start playing pentatonic and minor scale up and down the neck over a backing, for 5-10 minutes. There are probably much better ways to do it but this serves two purposes: practice daily those scales, which I use in most songs I learn, and also warm up.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
VilleFIN
Jan 11 2011, 07:55 PM
Tone Seeker
I usually play chromatic 1234 and Michael Angelo Batios warm up. Check it out from youtube or elsewhere. And today I realized that if chromatic playing with metronome is boring, do it ex. with songs where is slow steady beat. I did it with Metallicas "the house that jack build". It worked cool.gif

+Quote Post
K1R
Jan 11 2011, 09:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
I don't really warm up. I do stretches sometimes. When I feel that it's too cold here and I can't play normally, I just put my hands into warm water, it really helps. smile.gif

--------------------

Guitar Altamira M01D, Samick Royale 3, Musima Lead Star 1
Effects Boss ME-25
Amp Stagg 40 GA DSP
DAW SONAR LE

YouTube | Facebook | Last.fm
“One day you pick up the guitar and you feel like a great master, and the next day you feel like a fool. It’s because we’re different every day, but the guitar is always the same…beautiful.” ~ Tommy Emmanuel
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You have a whole collection of musical ideas and thoughts that you’ve accumulated through your musical history plus all the musical history of the whole world and it’s all in your subconscious and you draw upon it when you play” ~ Joe Pass

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:03 PM