3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Monica Gheorghevici Improvising Workshop
Darius Wave
Sep 2 2013, 01:08 PM
Instructor
So You accept the challange biggrin.gif Will You be able to participate in tomorrow's chat? I'll explain some thing about the picking hand grip smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 3 2013, 06:43 AM
Learning Tone Master

Of course, I will be present at Vchat. I will never miss your lessons wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 6 2013, 08:44 AM
Instructor
How about Your take over blues phrasing lesson ?smile.gif There are many usefull licks and concepts! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Sep 6 2013, 09:37 AM
Learning Tone Master

Your task stuck me between two conceptions. First conception is that I hate to play blues and second conception I hate to cover somebody. I'm the unsuitable person to play the blues. I try to catch that feeling but.....big fail. And bend, after bend, after bend......another fail. I stop and I start to thinking what can I do.

So, I try another idea until to return at my challenge lesson.
I made my take for Patrik collab with another phrasing. More different that I used the listeners smile.gif Much happy take version with more bends, hammer on and different accents. Now is finished but I want more attitude in play and some changes wink.gif

But, in this weekend I will work only for that challenge lesson smile.gif The bad parts is I forgot almost all my initial version for "poor puppy". I spend a lot time making another things and I feel like I'm getting away from the initial task.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Sep 6 2013, 01:33 PM
Instructor
You hate blues as long As You don't know it well wink.gif Descent blues players have a lot of emotional stuff to learn from them. It's very good school of building emotions and avoid "square playing"

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 15 2013, 07:30 PM
Learning Tone Master

This is my take for Patrik metal collab. New version and good version of course, with some pinch harmonics and all bends in tone wink.gif

I want to ask you if you could tell me please if it's sound ok, because you know that I have some problems when I try to improvise on metal style. If you think that I must make some changes please tell me or let me know if it's ok to let it in this version smile.gif

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Patrik_metal_collab_demo.wav ( 12.09MB ) Number of downloads: 235

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 16 2013, 09:22 AM
Instructor
Very nice take! You don't have to be a shredder to play cool solo over metal track. You took care about some details that needed fix in the demo version of Your take. I like the pinch harmonic going slowly down. The only thing You could consider while making progress with next takes for next collabs is how to remove some of the picking while You go to the second part of the solo - it's about adding some fluency, replacing constant picking articulation with some longer legato runs etc.

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 16 2013, 10:22 AM
Learning Tone Master

You have perfectly right about my abusive picking smile.gif I didn't like the sound of constant picking because it gives a linear sound.
I managed to control this thing in other melodic improvisations that we work together. All you taught me was successful smile.gif But when I hear this metal beat I don't know why I play with pick after pick. This is a big issue that we must fix together for others similar metal stuff. I'm scared when the beat is over 160 BPM biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 16 2013, 10:47 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Monica Gheorghevici @ Oct 16 2013, 09:22 AM) *
You have perfectly right about my abusive picking smile.gif I didn't like the sound of constant picking because it gives a linear sound.
I managed to control this thing in other melodic improvisations that we work together. All you taught me was successful smile.gif But when I hear this metal beat I don't know why I play with pick after pick. This is a big issue that we must fix together for others similar metal stuff. I'm scared when the beat is over 160 BPM biggrin.gif

Nothing to be scared of smile.gif First step to the solution is just knowing the problem is there. It's not a huge issue but indeed You could play the same notes trying som basic tricks like just replacing some longer picking parts with legato or just make it for exchange. Also vibration notes between two differen notes (like B to C bend and release matched to the song tempo) is something that could keep the "motor going on" but also will help to leave that constant picking feeling smile.gif

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 22 2013, 11:41 AM
Learning Tone Master
Until I will finish your lesson for our mentoring (I take 3 days holiday to finish that smile.gif ), I want to ask you something. I don't know if you saw but I made a video with some techniques for expression played separately. It's obvious that I made more mistakes trying to show all of that. Why I made this video....you will see it in my topic biggrin.gif
Can you tell me please what am I doing wrong on those techniques? Of course when I mix all this techniques sounds decent, but separately the errors appear. I want to fix that and I don't know where is the problem (I guess it's something wrong at the right hand like usual). One thing before you tell me that....I know I hold the pick on the flat side of the first fingers smile.gif I still try to repair this but it takes much longer time biggrin.gif Until now I can do only some things in the correct position but I work on this wink.gif

You can find my video here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...showtopic=50435

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 23 2013, 09:43 AM
Instructor
We already cleared a few things in the messages so let's get back to work smile.gif Overall You did a very good job - as I said in PM - I like the improvised part most smile.gif The tone cuts well through the mix and nicely interact with tha backing.

Unfortunately I see one big problem to fix. We already spoke about it. It's time for You to make very hard decision. I watched closely to Your right hand for quite some time. I'm surprised that Your teacher didn't help You fix that since the very beginning. Hands positions and movements are the key to be efficient player. With Your current right hand position You will hard to progress any further sad.gif

I know exactly how hard decission it is and how much time it takes to change some habbits we have but usually there is no other way to progress. I had picking hand problems myself but i decided to switch because I couldn't go any further with my playing.

Let me shortly explain. Your right hand is very often resting nowhere - some of the strength get lost for holding the hand in the air while instead of this You could have two resting points - forearm (edge of the guitar body) and wrist (a few different concepts but mostly on the bridge). This will also help to hold the whole guitar more stable...fox example while playing in standing position

When Your hand is hanging too much perpendicular to the strings. You loose too much of a wrist movement range and maybe this is a reason for almost only circle picking in Your case. With this hand position You couldn'tfind my pick grabing advices usefull because it just ain't work with this hand angle.

You have to make a choice. I won't lie - this would be hard and for some time You won't be able to play a lot of stuff You already can, but this is for Your own good. I'm praparing detailed lesson about picking hand (because of need to help You and other people with similar problems). Before it will be finished and published I'll try to help You diffrent ways but...

first of all...it's a matter of Your decission...

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 23 2013, 05:09 PM
Learning Tone Master
What can I say, some teachers want their students to perform, unfortunately others don't want this thing sad.gif But all this are in the past and now I follow a new way.
I know it will be very hard to fix some habits, because I used them every day. But it's not a choice for me it's a must. I can't reach the level that I wish if I let all this things in such way. I'm lucky because you know which are my problems and together we can fix that smile.gif
So, I will concentrate only to repair this problem and I gave myself 48 hours to be able to make a video in correct position. It's only about practice with maxim focus, nothing else wink.gif
If you are agree (I hope you will be smile.gif ) I will sent you (in PM biggrin.gif ) a short video next days to be sure that the new position it's the good one smile.gif
I don't want to make some wrong practice again.
But I have a big problem after this killer day with new hand position. I can play only new things, I can't play the old improvisations or our lessons. And I worked hard for your lesson and that blues lessons and now I can't play neither 2 bars. It's very frustrating.

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 24 2013, 09:11 AM
Instructor
I wouldn't try to make You do this so much If I wouldn't be going through exactly the same issue. I know how hard is this and for some time You might feel like You can't play anything at all but this will pass and later You'll be able to get higher with Your right hand technique..Everything's gonna be fine - You'll see! smile.gif Just give me regular vids of Your progress. Please try to record Your right hand with similar camera angle / view like the one on slow parts in my lessons...this will make me able to see exactly what's going on with Your hand smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:48 PM