Simple Observation On Shredding
Opetholic
Nov 25 2012, 10:47 AM
Learning Guitar Lord
Hello GMCers,

I would like to share with you an observation I have about shredding at different tempos: I find the BPM range 135-150 the hardest to shred with. That's because from those tempos on playing with 16th note triplets start to become very hard and sloppy and precisely around those tempos ordinary 16th notes sound too slow (they start sounding impressive after around 160 BPMs ). So if there is a backing track with a tempo in between 135 and 150, I can't shred tongue.gif..

What do you think ?? And what is the solution ??

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 25 2012, 12:00 PM
Instructor
Anything over 120bpm with 16th note triplets and you're into shred territory..

Solution ? Don't shred ! laugh.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2012, 12:03 PM
Learning Roadie
I'll let you know when I reaching anything approaching those speeds

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 25 2012, 12:09 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 25 2012, 12:00 PM) *
Anything over 120bpm with 16th note triplets and you're into shred territory..

Solution ? Don't shred ! laugh.gif

Yea but Ben I think you missed my point. Can you play 16th note triplets at 150 BPMs ? I can not and then if I try normal 16th notes that is too slow. So then what do I do ? smile.gif That's my question..

--------------------

+Quote Post
PosterBoy
Nov 25 2012, 12:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Look at

Being more creative with your phrasing

Maybe try shorter phrases with 16th Triplets see if you can keep the tempo then

Use a delay with your 16th notes

--------------------
My SoundCloud

Gear
Tyler Burning Water 2K
Burny RLG90 with BK Emeralds
Fender US Tele with BK Piledrivers
Epiphone 335 with Suhr Thornbuckers
PRS SE Custom 24-08
Ax8

Fessenden SD10 PSG
Quilter TT15

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 25 2012, 12:54 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 25 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Yea but Ben I think you missed my point. Can you play 16th note triplets at 150 BPMs ? I can not and then if I try normal 16th notes that is too slow. So then what do I do ? smile.gif That's my question..

just a simple observation, and excuse me if I am slow, but , is that cloud in your picture supposed to be your hat ? blink.gif

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 25 2012, 01:02 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 25 2012, 12:54 PM) *
just a simple observation, and excuse me if I am slow, but , is that cloud in your picture supposed to be your hat ? blink.gif

Hehe tongue.gif yes it is my hat

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 25 2012, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 25 2012, 11:09 AM) *

Yeah, sorry I was just messing around ! smile.gif

No, 150bpm 16th triplets is a bit too much for me.. at those sort of speeds it's best just to stick to short bursts of something for effect. Even if you can't sustain picking at that pace it doesn't matter really unless you're desperate to play lots of technical picking runs. When I hit brick walls I think of other ways to get around them, that's when you chance upon your own ideas and unique way of doing something.

Also, 150bpm is seriously fast by anyone's judgement.. some are able to do it and some aren't.. but still, anything over 120 or 130bpm is still respectably fast ! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Patrik Berg
Nov 25 2012, 11:03 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 25 2012, 11:09 AM) *

Tapping smile.gif

--------------------
When your fingers bleed you're getting somewhere

+Quote Post
eMGie
Nov 25 2012, 11:17 PM
I also do for example sweeping 5 notes per beat biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 26 2012, 10:36 AM
Instructor
This is where legato comes in handy too. 9 times out of 10, guitarists should be able to have a faster fretting hand than picking hand so this can come in useful when you hit your picking threshold..

Mix it up with legato and use picking to sustain the licks just like Mr Gilbert or myself for that matter

This is why all these different techniques exist, to do different jobs - use them smile.gif

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Nov 26 2012, 03:28 PM
Create kick-ass riffs, and you forget about shredding tongue.gif

+Quote Post
coffeeman
Nov 26 2012, 03:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 25 2012, 06:09 AM) *

WOW if 16th notes at 150 BPM is too slow what would my my speed be(16th notes at 100 bpm) ? I'll keep improving my vibrato, I guess.

--------------------
The only thing yo can do, is what you love!

Visit my youtube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 28 2012, 01:36 AM
THERE IS A SOLUTION!! All we need is to actually see what you are on about smile.gif So RECORD A VIDEO OF YOU PLAYING THESE BITS!!!! smile.gif And post it.

This is actually one of a string of posts about technique, regarding very specific things, with specific questions, with no video. At which point, we (the instructors) have to sort of guess what's going on. We can usually guess pretty well smile.gif But man O man, if you actually shot a clip of your playing, then BAM!!! We could really help.

Actually, if everybody started doing that I think folks would see massive improvement in little time. If I / We can just see what's going on with the hands, we can set you on the right path. Thats one thing about forum. It's not like being in the room with an instructor unless you shoot something for us to see. So shooot!!!! wink.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 25 2012, 04:47 AM) *
Hello GMCers,

I would like to share with you an observation I have about shredding at different tempos: I find the BPM range 135-150 the hardest to shred with. That's because from those tempos on playing with 16th note triplets start to become very hard and sloppy and precisely around those tempos ordinary 16th notes sound too slow (they start sounding impressive after around 160 BPMs ). So if there is a backing track with a tempo in between 135 and 150, I can't shred tongue.gif..

What do you think ?? And what is the solution ??

Cheers.

+Quote Post
derper
Nov 30 2012, 07:16 PM
Learning Tone Master
So true Todd!! Some of the best feedback I've ever gotten here, is due to feedback from videos.

In fact....I believe that I am long overdue, to submit a video of my playing/practicing/technique/whatever!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 27 2012, 04:36 PM) *
THERE IS A SOLUTION!! All we need is to actually see what you are on about smile.gif So RECORD A VIDEO OF YOU PLAYING THESE BITS!!!! smile.gif And post it.

This is actually one of a string of posts about technique, regarding very specific things, with specific questions, with no video. At which point, we (the instructors) have to sort of guess what's going on. We can usually guess pretty well smile.gif But man O man, if you actually shot a clip of your playing, then BAM!!! We could really help.

Actually, if everybody started doing that I think folks would see massive improvement in little time. If I / We can just see what's going on with the hands, we can set you on the right path. Thats one thing about forum. It's not like being in the room with an instructor unless you shoot something for us to see. So shooot!!!! wink.gif

Todd

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 30 2012, 07:50 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Yea I agree but my question is not actually related to a specific riff or specific exercise but more about an idea: if 16th triplets are too fast and normal 16th notes are too slow for a given tempo then what do you do ? I think I like the ideas Ben presented actually..

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Nov 30 2012, 09:48 PM
You could play a group of 5 instead of 6 or 4, 150 bpm quintuplets = 750 notes per minute, and that would be the same as 125 bpm sixtuplets smile.gif, plus quintuplets usually has a funny feel to it, so it'll probably be good as a rhythmic challenge too & also trying to create patterns in 5 instead of 4 or 6.

This post has been edited by Qenzoz: Nov 30 2012, 09:48 PM

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Opetholic
Nov 30 2012, 09:51 PM
Learning Guitar Lord
Yea that's a good idea smile.gif I will try that more. I did that once in a collab take but couldn't do a good job i think tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Nov 30 2012, 10:14 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Nov 30 2012, 12:48 PM) *
You could play a group of 5 instead of 6 or 4, 150 bpm quintuplets = 750 notes per minute, and that would be the same as 125 bpm sixtuplets smile.gif, plus quintuplets usually has a funny feel to it, so it'll probably be good as a rhythmic challenge too & also trying to create patterns in 5 instead of 4 or 6.

I was going to see if anyone recommended this before posting it! You are brilliant! biggrin.gif

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 1 2012, 01:30 AM
So can you make a video of you playing 16th triplets to show where it's falling down? I'm saying here that if we could see you playing it, we could better diagnose the issue and help solve it. From a theoretical level, the short answer is, you slow down. Just pick something slower if you cant reach the 16th triplets at a given tempo. It's that simple.

But you can always get more speed. Just need some tips and practice smile.gif

Ben has some GREAT comments on this. I agree smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Opetholic @ Nov 30 2012, 01:50 PM) *
Yea I agree but my question is not actually related to a specific riff or specific exercise but more about an idea: if 16th triplets are too fast and normal 16th notes are too slow for a given tempo then what do you do ? I think I like the ideas Ben presented actually..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:22 PM