3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
What Does Windows 11 Mean For Musicians?
Mertay
Oct 5 2021, 10:07 PM
GMC:er

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 6 2021, 01:40 PM
Instructor
The new Windows looks great! But it's risky for us to do the update as many software and drivers may stop working for some time.

As always, we need to be patient and wait for the updates. I think that the most important ones will be done faster. In my case, Cubase Pro and my audio interface drivers.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 6 2021, 01:56 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 6 2021, 12:40 PM) *

I'm still on win7 laugh.gif stuff that needs minimum win 10 isn't still a deal breaker for me but if I were to make a new machine today,2025 is a good time period for win 10 as it will be a stable platform given the updates will be rare.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Oct 6 2021, 04:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Oct 6 2021, 09:56 AM) *
I'm still on win7 laugh.gif stuff that needs minimum win 10 isn't still a deal breaker for me but if I were to make a new machine today,2025 is a good time period for win 10 as it will be a stable platform given the updates will be rare.

My experience with win 10 has been very positive.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2021, 06:57 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
No doubt I'll be the impatient one as usual and install it ASAP and then wish I hadn't laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Phil66: Oct 6 2021, 07:37 PM

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2021, 07:19 PM
Same thing with MAC OS, it's always good to wait unless one has a specific reason to upgrade. Sadly, the latest version of MAC OS wants to force upgrades and take the user out of the equation. I wonder if windows will start doing that?

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 6 2021, 09:40 PM
I'm still on (mac os) Catalina and it's SUPER stable. Can one not turn off auto updates with Big Sur?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 6 2021, 09:49 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 6 2021, 09:40 PM) *
I'm still on (mac os) Catalina and it's SUPER stable. Can one not turn off auto updates with Big Sur?

Don't know about Mac but Windows 10 allows you to pause for 30 days and then it does an update that you can't stop unless you disconnect from the www forever.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 6 2021, 09:40 PM) *

Don't know about Mac but Windows 10 allows you to pause for 30 days and then it does an update that you can't stop unless you disconnect from the www forever.

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Success is not obtained overnight. It comes in instalments; you get a little bit today, a little bit tomorrow until the whole package is given out. The day you procrastinate, you lose that day's success.

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 6 2021, 11:01 PM
Im on Catalina as well and it's my fave OS so far. I remember reading that Apple is planning to force feed security updates in order to keep BIG SUR more secure. Of course now that I'm looking for the article I can't find it. It may have been just Op Ed.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 6 2021, 04:40 PM) *

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 7 2021, 12:03 AM
It seems you can still select whether you want to auto enable updates or not ... https://www.howtoisolve.com/how-to-disable-...ricks-and-apps/

Short version; de-select auto update from the system prefs>software update in settings. *Same as it's always been, even for the current Big Sur and the upcoming Monterey.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 7 2021, 01:56 AM
Im glad to hear it. I was not a fan of the idea of forced updates.

It may have been this. It's the "back ground" updates that install automatically. But you can TURN IT OFF if you want.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207005

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 6 2021, 07:03 PM) *
It seems you can still select whether you want to auto enable updates or not ... https://www.howtoisolve.com/how-to-disable-...ricks-and-apps/

Short version; de-select auto update from the system prefs>software update in settings. *Same as it's always been, even for the current Big Sur and the upcoming Monterey.

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Oct 7 2021, 02:00 AM

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 7 2021, 02:21 AM
If you have all the updates off (de-selected) you will still get notifications that there are updates available and there will still be numeric indicator of how many updates are available but noting will download and install until you tell it to.

Some folks hate seeing that little red 1 by the 'software update' icon in their prefs laugh.gif You need to learn to disregard it wink.gif

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 7 2021, 02:21 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Oct 7 2021, 03:13 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 6 2021, 05:52 PM) *
My experience with win 10 has been very positive.

Same. I think I held out for a bit before changing from 7 to 10, but I've had no real issues that aren't of my own making or that could be relatively easily fixed.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Oct 12 2021, 04:44 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Oct 6 2021, 12:40 PM) *
The new Windows looks great! But it's risky for us to do the update as many software and drivers may stop working for some time.

As always, we need to be patient and wait for the updates. I think that the most important ones will be done faster. In my case, Cubase Pro and my audio interface drivers.

Usually when old systems get ultra stable they decide to push them out of the market. I was ultra satisfied with efficietcy of Windows 7...I was angry and made the switch to win10 painfully. Now when I hear about 11...I don't even consider to touch it within next 5 years....

+Quote Post
Mertay
Oct 13 2021, 09:24 AM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Oct 12 2021, 03:44 PM) *
Usually when old systems get ultra stable they decide to push them out of the market. I was ultra satisfied with efficietcy of Windows 7...I was angry and made the switch to win10 painfully. Now when I hear about 11...I don't even consider to touch it within next 5 years....

Same here, maybe its getting less problematic throughout the years but its just a habit of mine to rely on a past generation system for as long as possible.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Oct 13 2021, 05:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
Same as Mertay, I still use windows 7 on my main PC and I'm very happy with it. I really don't like win 10 (i have this on a laptop) and definitely have no intention to try win 11 in the next years.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 13 2021, 06:55 PM
I'm a Mac guy and I don't update until I absolutely have to. I think I'm 2 behind currently.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 14 2021, 04:26 AM
Same here smile.gif I'm on MAC OS CATALINA and I have no plans to upgrade until I have a good reason to do so. I learned long ago working in I.T. that upgrading just to upgrade causes more pain than it's worth.

When LOGIC X or something, forces me to upgrade the OS, then I'll start looking in to it to find out what the issues / problems are and start making the move. Of course, I keep an SSD external with a full copy of my boot drive. I learned this one the hard way as well. It's crucial imho to keep a full bootable copy (not a time machine backup) of ones primary boot drive.

QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 13 2021, 01:55 PM) *
I'm a Mac guy and I don't update until I absolutely have to. I think I'm 2 behind currently.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 14 2021, 05:22 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 13 2021, 08:26 PM) *
Of course, I keep an SSD external with a full copy of my boot drive. I learned this one the hard way as well. It's crucial imho to keep a full bootable copy (not a time machine backup) of ones primary boot drive.

Do you use any software like Disk Drill to clone your boot drive?

+Quote Post
Phil66
Oct 14 2021, 07:01 AM
I wish I had all of your will power, I'm like a kid in a sweet shop when a new os comes along, I always just go for it and then wish I hadn't rolleyes.gif

--------------------

SEE MY GMC CERTIFICATE

Israelmore Ayivor

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:18 AM