Which External Sound Card Do You Recommend Me?
josuegda
Oct 9 2009, 08:07 AM
Learning Rock Star
What do you think that is good to have: a line6 podx3 or a external sound card for PC?

Thank you.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 9 2009, 09:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
Both, I will say.. smile.gif It depends on what You wanna do. If Your focus is on guitar-playing & ease of use, go for the Pod, if Your focus is on recording/mixing go for an external card.

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Gilmore
Oct 9 2009, 09:53 AM
GMC:er
Line 6 Pod X3 no question, PC soundcards are no good for recording guitar, internal or external.

--------------------
Electric Guitars: Gibson SG 61´ Reissue, Gibson Les Paul Classic, Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2008 OW RW) , Fender Standard American Stratocaster (2003 2TSB MPL), Ibanez Prestige RG2570E, Warmoth Telecaster (BlueBurst), Warmoth Custom (CherryBurst).
Accoustic Guitars: Ovation Custom Legend, Ovation Legend (12 string), Martin 000-15M.
Classical Guitars: Jose Ramirez 125 Ano (Cedar), Manuel Rodriguez Model D (Spruce).
Bass: Ibanez SRX500.
Keyboard: M-Audio Keystation 88es.
Recording interface: Focusrite Saffire Pro 24 DPS.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 9 2009, 10:02 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gilmore @ Oct 9 2009, 10:53 AM) *
Line 6 Pod X3 no question, PC soundcards are no good for recording guitar, internal or external.

I dont agree with You here, it depends on which soundcard You choose and which plugins You use in the DAW. Muris for instance, uses Guitar Rig for the lessons here and it sounds great. And even better is if You can use a couple of mics in conjunction with a real amp and then use a good soundcard.... but as i said, for simplicity - the Pod is a better choice.

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Oct 9 2009, 12:50 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons

Whut? blink.gif biggrin.gif

I'll agree it's more convenient and easier to use for recording guitar.
But saying external PC soundcards are no good for guitar recording is not right smile.gif
You will get better sound with a good external soundcard and a good Guitar Amp Simulator Plug-In,
than you will with the POD. But the POD is easier to USE for a beginner and will be cheaper as well smile.gif

Plus with a good external soundcard you have better preamps built in for recording external sources like an amp, acoustic guitar, drums etc. smile.gif

This post has been edited by audiopaal: Oct 9 2009, 12:50 PM

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Oct 9 2009, 03:59 PM
Instructor

You probably think on low-cost cards, right ?! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Oct 9 2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor
I've used an external M-Audio Omnistudio.
It's USB and has been excellent for me in the last 4 years...
You can get it failrly cheap on ebay...

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Oct 11 2009, 01:20 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well if you are going to play and record on PC I would recommend line6 Pod studio Ux1 (external sound card). Its a versatile device that will enable you to record and play with amp/cabs modeling. Depends really on use since Pod x3 and external sound cards are pretty different.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Fran
Oct 11 2009, 01:41 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
It depends.

POD X3 is convenient, easy to use, as long as you just want to rely on amp modelling.
But if you wish to record a real amp & stomps, I guess a good external sound card and mics are the way to go.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 11 2009, 07:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (josuegda @ Oct 9 2009, 09:07 AM) *
What do you think that is good to have: a line6 podx3 or a external sound card for PC?

Thank you.

It depends what your needs are.

- Line6 PodX3 is more guitar-oriented audio interface, that has it's own hardware modeling of the famous amps, effects etc. This means it will not rely on CPU to compute the complex algorithms needed to process your guitar signal. It's definitely aimed to guitar players who want a plug & play configuration with solid emulations. However, Line6 POD X3 is a poor interface considering the price. The sound quality is definitely lower than with the similar priced external audio interfaces, and ASIO latency is bigger than competition. If you want to use third party VST modeling software (like guitar rig or amplitube fender for example), you might find yourself with limited amount of performance and comfort compared to other similar devices. If you rely only on Line 6 modeling and record only that it will be OK, but you still won't be able to reamp the signal, unless you use POD Farm plugin. I'm not sure if they give that for free with X3.

pros: plug & play, good emulations, hardware processing onboard POD, mobile
cons: price/quality ratio, relatively big ASIO latency, not the best performance with third party VST modeling software, only 2 channels available for ASIO (4 including dry signal streams)

- external sound card for PC is a generalized term, so if we want to compare, let's say we have EMU 1616m which costs a bit less than POD X3

External audio device is usually focused on general audio production. The mentioned 1616m card is PCI + external module configuration, and although in the nutshell it has very similar features like the POD X3 (2 inputs, stereo out, headphones out, digital out), the 1616m offers much more and on a much higher level (and for less money!). This is because 1616m is geared towards audio production and it is not a plug & play system for musicians. You get Amplitube LE modeling software with it that is a bit limited, and if you want to use it as a guitar player, you have to get some modeling software (like Guitar Rig for example). However, if you do get/have the Guitar Rig or any other software, the card will provide better audio quality, flexibility, and processing performance than POD. Also, the card offers 16 inputs and outputs via digital connection, so upgrading this card later for semi pro studio use is possible.

pros: hi quality semi pro audio production system, lots of inputs/outputs, low ASIO latency, great price/quality ratio
cons: not focused directly at guitar players, you need to buy third party VST guitar modeling software, requires PCI slot, not mobile

So the point is, if you need a guitar processor with solid emulation performance, and ability to be used as sound card as well to some extent go for POD. If you need semi pro audio card with ability to make semi pro audio quality production projects but with bigger learning curve, go for other external cards.

PS there are other examples of audio cards, doesn't have to be EMU 1616m. But the pros and cons are in general very similar.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Oct 11 2009, 07:14 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
josuegda
Oct 22 2009, 10:22 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks everybody for your answers.

I think I´ll finally get a line6 pod studio ux2 to get better recordings ¿what do you think about it?

Kind regards.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 22 2009, 02:00 PM
Instructor
I think UX1 will do the job as well. UX2 is a good device that has 4 inputs, but the modeling is enabled only for two channels at a time via POD Farm. In addition to that, the card doesn't have enough processing power and low enough latency to be used comfortably with third party modelers like Guitar Rig for example.

Basically if you want to record guitar+mic and have modeling available for both channels, UX1 will do the job nicely. If you really need 4 inputs (2 instrument+2mic) with two of them available for modeling at a time, then go for UX2. For the price of UX2 there are some other interesting options available as well.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 02:06 PM
Learning Tone Master
One small thing to consider about sound-cards is that in order to get the guitar "sound" right in the DAW, the card must have a High-Z input, a normal line-in is not the same since the impedance not match, but there are a lot of cards that have "instrument" inputs as well.... Btw. the EMU-card is cheaper now, costs about 200 Euro, and that's a very good card for the money since it haves bout the same AD/DA converters as Pro Tools -stuff.

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 22 2009, 02:36 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 22 2009, 01:06 PM) *
One small thing to consider about sound-cards is that in order to get the guitar "sound" right in the DAW, the card must have a High-Z input, a normal line-in is not the same since the impedance not match, but there are a lot of cards that have "instrument" inputs as well....

Absolutely

Btw. the EMU-card is cheaper now, costs about 200 Euro, and that's a very good card for the money since it haves bout the same AD/DA converters as Pro Tools -stuff.

//Staffay

PT is a sequencer program so I assume you mean that the EMU has similar ADC as 'prosumer' Digi/M-audio interfaces designed for PT, which is pretty much true smile.gif .

The EMU (or M-audio) doesn't however meet up to the quality of the high end professional Digi interfaces like a ProTools HD 192i/o or the independent pro end ones designed for PT like an an Aurora or an SSL Alpha (just staying with PT here). A professional AD/DA uses expensive chips and electronics not just for the conversion but also for the clock and is also more likely to be based around pro end interfacing such as AES/EBU, XLR and TRS rather than unbalanced 1/4 phono.

Ultimately the EMU, and the M-Audio stuff, is good within its price range and offers value for money whilst the more professional stuff has better ADC, etc but costs considerably more - the former about 200 Euros, the latter upwards from 1000Euros. For home recording 'prosumer' is almost certainly good enough smile.gif.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Clare
Oct 22 2009, 02:45 PM
Learning Roadie
I,m using an EDIROL UA-25EX which has a hi-z input as well and this interface has worked flawless with my 32 bit vista and sonar.

+Quote Post
josuegda
Oct 22 2009, 03:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Oct 22 2009, 03:00 PM) *
For the price of UX2 there are some other interesting options available as well.

for example?

+Quote Post
Staffy
Oct 22 2009, 04:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Oct 22 2009, 03:36 PM) *
PT is a sequencer program so I assume you mean that the EMU has similar ADC as 'prosumer' Digi/M-audio interfaces designed for PT, which is pretty much true smile.gif .

Ultimately the EMU, and the M-Audio stuff, is good within its price range and offers value for money whilst the more professional stuff has better ADC, etc but costs considerably more - the former about 200 Euros, the latter upwards from 1000Euros. For home recording 'prosumer' is almost certainly good enough smile.gif.

That was exactly was I meant, of course professional AD/DA -converters is much more expensive. The comparison was between M-Audio and E-Mu of course. Btw. have You seen the new Presonus digital mixer with integrated sound cards & lot of other goodies ???

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 22 2009, 04:59 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Staffy @ Oct 22 2009, 03:35 PM) *
That was exactly was I meant, of course professional AD/DA -converters is much more expensive. The comparison was between M-Audio and E-Mu of course.

Thought so - just clarifying it in case anyone else wasn't sure smile.gif

Btw. have You seen the new Presonus digital mixer with integrated sound cards & lot of other goodies ???

//Staffay

SoS reviewed it this month (October 2009 issue) quite positively but they did say they had an issue with latency. Looks fine if you're in the market for a 16/4/2 digital mixer that's easy to hook up to your pc - I'm sure Presonus'll sought the latency out. Just me personally - not sure I'd want a mixer on firewire as it isn't my favourite connection for audio.

If you're in the market for a digital mixer though Staffy there are a few alternatives.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 12:11 PM