32 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Adams Bootcamp, Time to Fight Soldier!
Adam
Feb 6 2019, 09:53 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 4 2019, 10:26 PM) *
I wanted to make sure I'd given you a copy of the new version of the MISSION 24 Tablature. I can see that the old versions, before I started using GUITAR pro are just sorta confusing!!!! I'm going to try to replace all of the old ones with guitar pro files.[attachment=48293:24_FIXa.gp5]
[attachment=48294:24_FIXb.gp5]

----

They were a litle bit confusing, yes. But I believe it's a part of learning process to figure things out and reach the solution. Nothing is more satisfying than a job well done smile.gif

Could you please take a look at video for 34? I'm not sure if it's alright or if I need to re-record it.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Adam M: Feb 6 2019, 10:04 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 7 2019, 06:20 AM
GMC:er
Neither one of these are easy bits Soldier!! 33 and 34 have some crazy stretch work! 33 is just prep for 34 and it looks like you have a good handle on it! For your final Video for 34, make sure that you have PART A, PART B and PART C in your vid. There are 3 drills in 34. It looks like you left out part C in 34? But onward with 33!

MEDALS OF HONOR

MUTE AND MORE MUTE You continue to impress with your solid planted palm on the bridge!

SYNCH MUTE Both of these require the dreaded "Synch Mute", e.g. hand synch while doing a palm mute. Well played!

TRAVERSING NOT TRAVESTY This one is non stop string traverse so if your traverse is bad, the lick falls apart. Not so! Your traverse game is good.

You are doing well on all of these so far! I know you have heard me say "no points for speed" on here as it's about precision. I must say though that I think you could be pushing the speed just a bit harder at this point. You are up in the 30+ set of Missions and by now Soldiers start to speed up just a pinch as a matter of course just due to practice. Your pace is nice and steady, but I don't see it improving along with the rest of your technique. I'm not saying "Shred" these. Just try to push the speed a bit beyond where it is now. As you progress, your speed should match your precision. Once you get in to the 40/50 level missions, you should have gained some speed to match your articulation. As for now you killed it and ..
LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 6 2019, 04:53 PM) *
They were a litle bit confusing, yes. But I believe it's a part of learning process to figure things out and reach the solution. Nothing is more satisfying than a job well done smile.gif

Could you please take a look at video for 34? I'm not sure if it's alright or if I need to re-record it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 7 2019, 06:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 7 2019, 06:20 AM) *
You are doing well on all of these so far! I know you have heard me say "no points for speed" on here as it's about precision. I must say though that I think you could be pushing the speed just a bit harder at this point. You are up in the 30+ set of Missions and by now Soldiers start to speed up just a pinch as a matter of course just due to practice. Your pace is nice and steady, but I don't see it improving along with the rest of your technique. I'm not saying "Shred" these. Just try to push the speed a bit beyond where it is now. As you progress, your speed should match your precision. Once you get in to the 40/50 level missions, you should have gained some speed to match your articulation. As for now you killed it and ..
LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge

Thank you for pointing out the missing part. Also, I'm sorry about the speed. I'll do my best to push it bit by bit. In fact, I find it much easier now to play faster than before.

AP is quite natural to me, so I will push the tempo in licks using it. As for economic picking I sometimes get confused about "should I downstroke or upstroke now" because even if I look at the tabs and try to focus, my hands are used to AP. I won't be able to go faster there without until I get used to this technique. Similar case is with legato. I feel like I can go faster than with Economic but slowr than with AP licks. In legato drills most of my focus goes to playing clean. I'm sure my hands will be able to mute without thinking about it after some more practice.

As I said in the other thread, next two weeks I'll have limited time for playing because of an exam I can't fail. But I thought of a solution to how to push the tempo and not end up without a video to submit. I'll just start at tempo I'm comfortable with and slowly go up. Until now, I've been recording vids after the practice time but recording the whole thing won't pose a problem smile.gif On the other hand, I won't be doing Quick Licks until then because I want to give them proper amount of practice time. The Bootcamp missions are my number one priority.

This post has been edited by Adam M: Feb 8 2019, 01:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 8 2019, 05:29 AM
This is a BEAST of a Mission Soldier!! It requires you to traverse every string, then requires you to traverse, go back, traverse again. Miss one note and it's wrecked, but you didn't miss! One shot, one kill!!! Let's debrief.
MEDALS OF HONOR
PINKY POWER Great use of the pink to reach and hammer the notes

TRAVERSE THE UNIVERSE string traverse without any unwanted notes/noise.

RETRO ACTIVE Back and forth on the strings without missing the strike or finger. Nice!

You ticked every box I was looking for soldier and did it with style. Congrats!! you just..

LEVELED UP!!!!

Attached Image

As for your speed, as you mention, it's fine to just record your entire practice session as long as you play the lick at least once correctly. Saves time on editing and such. Gives me more to watch and helps me see where you are. For timing/speed, working with a metronome is key. Finding what your max comfy speed is, then pushing it up by 1bpm and going again is just part of process. You can also do a Ben Higgins approach and try to speed up one string, then speed up on two strings, then eventually all the strings in a given lick. Whatever works for you. Having a metronome just lets you know where you are and gives you a reference as to where your new max speed is for a given lick.
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 7 2019, 01:58 PM) *
Thank you for pointing out the missing part. Also, I'm sorry about the speed. I'll do my best to push it bit by bit. In fact, I find it much easier now to play faster than before.

AP is quite natural to me, so I will push the tempo in licks using it. As for economic picking I sometimes get confused about "should I downstroke or upstroke now" because even if I look at the tabs and try to focus, my hands are used to AP. I won't be able to go faster there without until I get used to this technique. Similar case is with legato. I feel like I can go faster than with Economic but slowr than with AP licks. In legato drills most of my focus goes to playing clean. I'm sure my hands will be able to mute without thinking about it after some more practice.

As I said in the other thread, next two weeks I'll have limited time for playing because of an exam I can't fail. But I thought of a solution to how to push the tempo and not end up without a video to submit. I'll just start at tempo I'm comfortable with and slowly go up. Until now, I've been recording vids after the practice time but recording the whole thing won't pose a problem smile.gif On the other hand, I won't be doing Quick Licks until then because I want to give them proper amount of practice time. The Bootcamp missions are my number one priority.

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 8 2019, 09:51 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 8 2019, 05:29 AM) *
As for your speed, as you mention, it's fine to just record your entire practice session as long as you play the lick at least once correctly. Saves time on editing and such. Gives me more to watch and helps me see where you are. For timing/speed, working with a metronome is key. Finding what your max comfy speed is, then pushing it up by 1bpm and going again is just part of process. You can also do a Ben Higgins approach and try to speed up one string, then speed up on two strings, then eventually all the strings in a given lick. Whatever works for you. Having a metronome just lets you know where you are and gives you a reference as to where your new max speed is for a given lick.
Sarge

That Ben Higgins approach sounds very interesting! Once I'm done with the exams, I'll do my very best to push the speed some more with plain metronome exercises.

For now, I'm putting up the Mission 35 video. Descending runs seem easier to me and ascending ones are just the opposite. Also I came upon an obstacle today while practicing and I decided to change my thumb positioning. I don't know how it works but until now I had it parallel to the neck. I watched some of GMC videos and YouTube covers and realized most of the players place thumb differently. It will take me a while to get used to it, so I may not play too fast for a while but I imagine it will bear profits in the future.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 9 2019, 03:44 AM
Well Fought Soldier!! I can see the SPEED bump at the end as well!!! The last bit has a good bit of speed and precision which is always a good thing. One without the other is just no good at all as it leads to sloppy playing and there is no place for that in Bootcamp. let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
*PINKY POWER ON TURBO: This lick requires a lot of articulate use of the pinky. It's tempting to use the first 3 fingers instead, but you nailed it just like I was hoping. Also, you hit it at a brisk pace and didn't stumble once!! This is a complex way to run a scale but it works in any and every scale once you understand the pattern. *PACE STEADY AS A CLOCK: Being able to play at a steady pace is something many folks struggle with. It's easy to play certain bits quick, then tricky bits slow. It results in a very stuttery/uneven playing style which lacks precision and control. Good news here is that you don't suffer from this at all!!!
*CLEAN AS A WHISTLE: This is a tricky pattern and requires string traverse and muting and synch. You may not realize it, but you are now using a HUGE amount of technique all at once. Score!!!

You have a great roll going here Soldier! Keep it up!! You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!
Attached Image

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 8 2019, 04:51 PM) *
That Ben Higgins approach sounds very interesting! Once I'm done with the exams, I'll do my very best to push the speed some more with plain metronome exercises.

For now, I'm putting up the Mission 35 video. Descending runs seem easier to me and ascending ones are just the opposite. Also I came upon an obstacle today while practicing and I decided to change my thumb positioning. I don't know how it works but until now I had it parallel to the neck. I watched some of GMC videos and YouTube covers and realized most of the players place thumb differently. It will take me a while to get used to it, so I may not play too fast for a while but I imagine it will bear profits in the future.

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 9 2019, 11:38 PM
Learning Roadie
Mission 36

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 10 2019, 09:55 AM
He's on a killing Spree!!! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

*AGRESSIVE STYLE: Points for shear aggression on this one Soldier! You attacked it with verve and precision. Also I could see a bit more "going for it" in terms of precision/speed combo. Nice.

*PICKING: Not only did you tear through the Mission, you articulated the pick quite well with thumb and first finger. Score!

*TECHNIQUE: Solid palm mute, precise picking, not rushing or lagging, BAM!

In short you just ...

LEVELED UP!!!

I can see you pushing the envelope a bit which is good to see as well. Keep it up Soldier!!

Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 9 2019, 06:38 PM) *
Mission 36

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 11 2019, 12:15 AM
Learning Roadie

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 14 2019, 04:13 AM
Well Fought Soldier!!! You are very close to your next CHEVRON stripe. Let's Debrief!!

MEDALS OF HONOR

SYNCH SO TIGHT IT SHINES: Both hands are synched up, your strikes are very certain and strong. Nice!

MUTE IT OR SHOOT IT You have gotten a very good handle on picking while keeping your mute solid. Well done!

TICK TICK TOCK SHOOT THE CLOCK This Mission, like many, falls apart if your timing slips even just a bit. Not here, timing is spot on.
This one has some very tricky bits indeed. Lots of back and forth. Easy to get it twisted but not!! Spot on.

LEVELED UP!!!!!

Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 10 2019, 07:15 PM) *

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 14 2019, 10:07 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Feb 14 2019, 04:13 AM) *
Well Fought Soldier!!! You are very close to your next CHEVRON stripe. Let's Debrief!!

I'm ready for it, sir!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 15 2019, 04:22 AM
Look at him go!!!! Now your drilling and killing it Soldier!! You've got some great takes, all with precision and then some with some extra AGGRESSION thrown in for good measure. I can see you pushing the envelope with your speed. Keep that up! It's only at the edges of our ability where we achieve progress. It's hard to ride that edge without going over it and pushing to far and playing in a sloppy manner. Great to see you pushing and keeping it high and tight!!! Let's Debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR
PICKING FROM HELL!: Straight from the land of flame and cerberus, your picking is borderline Demonic!!
HANDY SYNCHY! Top notch hand synch from start to finish. These bits require synch. You got it!
MUTE OR SHOOT! Just enough to control any errant string noise, but not so much it kills all the fun.

There is a LOT of meat on the bone in this one. Lot's of bits to get right. One mistake and you get to start over. Good news! No mistakes!!

In short you just ....

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image

Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 14 2019, 05:07 PM) *
I'm ready for it, sir!

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 16 2019, 12:38 AM
Learning Roadie

This pattern was confusing because it sounds out-of-scale and my reaction was to stop playing until I got used to it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 16 2019, 05:53 AM
Nice!! Lots of bits involved in this chunk of Missions. Good to see you keeping them clean. You are still in the batch of teaching your fingers to move in difficult ways. None of these shreds well at first. Eventually, you can shred anything, until your fingers get used to this odd patterns, it may feel like running uphill. The good news is you look to be a fine runner! Let's Debrief!
MEDALS OF HONOR

CLEAN AS GLASS: Each strike is measured and even and strong.

SO TIGHT YOU COULD BOUNCE A QUARTER OFF OF IT: Right/Left hand Synch is Spot On, Per usual!!

STILL STRONG Palm Muting so solid that it's got it's own gravity!

You got this one Soldier! You are ready for what's next. You are in the TALL weeds now. Keep swinging!
You just..
LEVELED UP!!!!!!
*Not many 4 Chevron Badges Floating about and I've been granting badges for more than half a decade. You must be doing something right Soldier!!!

Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 15 2019, 07:38 PM) *

This pattern was confusing because it sounds out-of-scale and my reaction was to stop playing until I got used to it.

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 17 2019, 12:06 AM
Learning Roadie
The description of this mission was quite confusing to me. I inferred the "pick once per string" refers to the warm-up only and I wasn't sure if the second exercise is a reversed pattern from some other or if I should play it in reverse. If I got it wrong, I'll re-record it tomorrow.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 17 2019, 02:25 AM
Sorry for the confusion sad.gif I"ll put some more info on the lesson to try to make it more clear. You nailed it btw. I call it "strike once hammer many". smile.gif You can clearly play this lick well. I would like to see you push yourself a bit on this one as it's the same shape on each string it's meant to be a speed building workout. You've got the precision, give me one more vid where you push to the edge of your ability. You are in deep at this point! I think you are ready to walk the path of the Shredder!
Sarge
quote name='Adam M' date='Feb 16 2019, 07:06 PM' post='766356']The description of this mission was quite confusing to me. I inferred the "pick once per string" refers to the warm-up only and I wasn't sure if the second exercise is a reversed pattern from some other or if I should play it in reverse. If I got it wrong, I'll re-record it tomorrow.

[/quote]

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 17 2019, 10:04 PM
Learning Roadie
Here it is! I tried pushing as much as possible. The last takes of each part are done without a metronome. Could you tell me if my timing is okay while we're at it?

I can't play for long at those speeds because my fretting hand goes sore. I'm doing the stretches before playing - without it I wouldn't even be able to play at this point at all.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 18 2019, 04:42 AM
SCORE!! Good one Soldier! Same precision, more aggression. Even without the metronome your timing is still solid which is great. When you play live, you may have to go without any sort of reference other than the drummer. Learning to count time on your own is skill worth working on.

Let's Debrief!! MEDALS OF HONOR
LEFT HAND SKILLS THAT KILL I made use of every string on purpose so that you can try to mute without moving your hand too much. You did a great job of keeping your mute stable and not moving your right hand around. It's easy to get pulled in to moving the hand instead of just rotating the wrist.
RIGHT HAND SKILLS THAT KILLL Didn't miss a beat or a note! These licks are designed to get you to strike then hammer without striking. Some folks get their strikes and non strikes mixed up and it's easy to hear when it happens. Not you! Spot on.

THAT SYNCHING FEELING This drill is also designed to show any gaps in right/left hand synch. The good news is, you don't have any!! If there are gaps it's easy to spot. You have really good right left synch.

I like the sheer aggression Soldier!!! You didn't lose your precision which is key. One thing I would say to try is the "Thumbless Technique", which is just to pull your left hand thumb entirely off the guitar neck and only use the tips of your fingers for pressure. You may need a pinch more gain/distortion. It's a great way to train the hand not to "clamp" down on the neck which is a natural thing but something to be avoided. The hand wants to clamp on when it speeds up. This can ruin your endurance. Learning to play mostly with finger pressure and using the thumb only as a guide is important as you move up the Shred Ladder! I think you are ready to give it a whirl on the next mission. You don't have to record it if you don't want to, just try it in practice to help re set your thumb and hand pressure.
LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Sarge

QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 17 2019, 05:04 PM) *
Here it is! I tried pushing as much as possible. The last takes of each part are done without a metronome. Could you tell me if my timing is okay while we're at it?

I can't play for long at those speeds because my fretting hand goes sore. I'm doing the stretches before playing - without it I wouldn't even be able to play at this point at all.

+Quote Post
Adam
Feb 19 2019, 01:38 AM
Learning Roadie
Here's mission 41. I tried playing thumbless but it takes a huge amount of effort (I don't want to mask my flaws with more gain etc.) I'll keep it in my practice routine. I wasn't able to push speed much this time. I realized it was almost nighttime and had 15 minutes to shoot the video.

Today I realized how very important it is to have friends who support you. I don't think I would make it to the point I'm at today without everyone's support. Not even halfway there. The pressure and expectations upon me are much too big to handle alone. I'm the firstborn child in my family. I'm not sure why but it seems to be related to the problem.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 19 2019, 05:26 AM
Not to worry about the thumbless Soldier! It's really just for practice, not really for recording your take. It's a technique to help you reduce the amount of pressure you are using. A light touch on the frets can increase your endurance and reduce strain on your hand. Too much pressure on the left hand reduces your ability to play and play well. Keep trying thumbless in practice and see how much you can reduce your finger pressure and still play the notes. Eventually, you'll find the light touch and notice that your speed goes dramatically up along with your endurance. For now, let's debrief!!
MEDALS OF HONOR

FINGER TRAVERSE: This lesson requires very delicate traverse of strings with fretting and picking. You do a very good job of it. It requires you to traverse all the strings which is a way to test if you have the ability to traverse non stop. You did it!

PALM MUTE: Keeping your hand planted while playing is a skill. Most folks just can't do it. You can do it quite well!!!

PICK ONCE HAMMER MANY: Your use of pick once, hammer many is very good and tightly controlled. Try the pick once hammer many on every scale you know. It's a great technique. Well done!

In short Solder, you just...
LEVELED UP!!!

Attached Image
Sarge
QUOTE (Adam M @ Feb 18 2019, 08:38 PM) *
Here's mission 41. I tried playing thumbless but it takes a huge amount of effort (I don't want to mask my flaws with more gain etc.) I'll keep it in my practice routine. I wasn't able to push speed much this time. I realized it was almost nighttime and had 15 minutes to shoot the video.

Today I realized how very important it is to have friends who support you. I don't think I would make it to the point I'm at today without everyone's support. Not even halfway there. The pressure and expectations upon me are much too big to handle alone. I'm the firstborn child in my family. I'm not sure why but it seems to be related to the problem.

+Quote Post

32 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
8 User(s) are reading this topic (8 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:43 AM