> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Cassien’s Phrasing Concepts, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2012, 05:36 PM
Instructor
Hi Cassien!! This is your personal thread for the Gab's Army.

This is what you wrote there:

"Hi gab,
Private Cassien reporting for duty!

So, a bit about me, I'm 33, from France but I leave in Texas. I've been playing guitar on and off for about 15 years. I've dabbed into classical, electric and acoustic. I took half a year of lessons when I started and then that's about it.
I mostly screw around and come up with stuff. To give you an idea of my level I embedded two videos of stuff I came up with in the past few years. I haven't really learned any new music in about 10 years or so, and It's probably been a good 5 years since I've had a serious sit down with an electric guitar. So my technique is pretty limited, speed is could improve a lot, and I lack clarity in my phrasing (lots of empty string ringing when I play), and I'm severely limited in what I know.

As far as style goes, I enjoy pretty much everything, I tend to be more on the bluesy side when I solo, but I think that's mostly because the only scales I ever learned were the pentatonic ones.

Anyway, that's about it!
Glad to be on board,
C."

Could you please post the videos here, because they don't appear in the other thread...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 14 2012, 07:39 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2012, 04:36 PM) *
Hi Cassien!! This is your personal thread for the Gab's Army.

This is what you wrote there:

"Hi gab,
Private Cassien reporting for duty!

So, a bit about me, I'm 33, from France but I leave in Texas. I've been playing guitar on and off for about 15 years. I've dabbed into classical, electric and acoustic. I took half a year of lessons when I started and then that's about it.
I mostly screw around and come up with stuff. To give you an idea of my level I embedded two videos of stuff I came up with in the past few years. I haven't really learned any new music in about 10 years or so, and It's probably been a good 5 years since I've had a serious sit down with an electric guitar. So my technique is pretty limited, speed is could improve a lot, and I lack clarity in my phrasing (lots of empty string ringing when I play), and I'm severely limited in what I know.

As far as style goes, I enjoy pretty much everything, I tend to be more on the bluesy side when I solo, but I think that's mostly because the only scales I ever learned were the pentatonic ones.

Anyway, that's about it!
Glad to be on board,
C."

Could you please post the videos here, because they don't appear in the other thread...

I can't seem to be able to embed the videos through the "insert youtube" quick access.
Links to them below:

Video 1

video 2

Cheers
C.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Martin and Co Sigma Guitars TB-1B (electro acoustic)
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

My youtube channel: Cassien's Youtube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2012, 08:36 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Now I could see your videos! You have a really good timing which is a very important thing and also very groovy rhythm. We have to work on vibrato, alternate picking and legatos. Also I would like you to choose any of the active collabs to join. You can post your ideas for the collab here and after some feedback you can send your take.

Regarding lessons to work, I would like to see you working and playing this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

What do you think?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 14 2012, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2012, 07:36 PM) *
Hi mate! Now I could see your videos! You have a really good timing which is a very important thing and also very groovy rhythm. We have to work on vibrato, alternate picking and legatos. Also I would like you to choose any of the active collabs to join. You can post your ideas for the collab here and after some feedback you can send your take.

Regarding lessons to work, I would like to see you working and playing this one:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/The_tasty_etude/

What do you think?

Hey gab,
sounds good, I'll work on that lesson. How do you usually do this? Should I post my progress once a week or so?
For the collab, I guess I can try the latest (Sinisa's). I'll have to figure out the electronics though...

Thanks
C.

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 14 2012, 11:45 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cassien @ Mar 14 2012, 06:26 PM) *
Hey gab,
sounds good, I'll work on that lesson. How do you usually do this? Should I post my progress once a week or so?
For the collab, I guess I can try the latest (Sinisa's). I'll have to figure out the electronics though...

Thanks
C.

I would be great if you can post a video of you playing this one in one week. Then we can decide if you can go for the REC.
What happens with the electronics? Do you need some help?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 15 2012, 12:37 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 14 2012, 10:45 PM) *
I would be great if you can post a video of you playing this one in one week. Then we can decide if you can go for the REC.
What happens with the electronics? Do you need some help?

Hey gab,
I'll do my best for the tastystudy fro next week!
As far as the electronics I wasn't sure how to record stuff on top of the track and also having it separately. I figured out how to do that in audacity, I just record the guitar part from a simple microphone while listening to the track with headphones and then I can mix the two tracks or just have the guitar one by itself.

Cheers!
C.

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 15 2012, 04:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cassien @ Mar 15 2012, 08:37 AM) *
Hey gab,
I'll do my best for the tastystudy fro next week!
As far as the electronics I wasn't sure how to record stuff on top of the track and also having it separately. I figured out how to do that in audacity, I just record the guitar part from a simple microphone while listening to the track with headphones and then I can mix the two tracks or just have the guitar one by itself.

Cheers!
C.

Yes, that's exactly how you can do it. I use Nuendo for this. I put the backing track in one stereo channel and record my guitar in other one. Then I export a mix. After that I use Vegas to replace Video's audio and add the new mix synchronized.
This is the most professional way to do it. Other way would be to use the camera's mic, if your room isn't too reflecting and the mic is relatively good you could go for this option for the REC and assignments here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 21 2012, 04:20 AM
Hey gab,
here's my take on the tasty etude:

Tasty Etude

Let me know what you think!
Cheers
C.

This post has been edited by Cassien: Mar 21 2012, 04:21 AM

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 22 2012, 12:34 AM
Instructor
Hi mate! It's cool to see your take on this one!! Some things to improve:

+ Timing: There are some sections that are played different compared to the original lesson and some melodies that sound a bit out of timing.. Concentrate on this and try to give it a more groovy feel.

+ Tone: For the next take try to get a tone more similar to the original lesson, the equalization is good but you could add some drive and also some delay.

+ Tuning: I think that your guitar is a bit out of tune, or maybe it's a calibration or old string issue. Check it out!

+ Last lick: The last lick is the faster and more difficult. Isolate the lick and practice it slowly over metronome.

The take is good! With this improvements it would be perfect. Keep on the good job! wink.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 22 2012, 12:23 PM
Hey Gab,
thanks for the feedback.
I'll work on those things and will post another take.
Cheers
C.

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 22 2012, 03:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cassien @ Mar 22 2012, 08:23 AM) *
Hey Gab,
thanks for the feedback.
I'll work on those things and will post another take.
Cheers
C.

Well, we should choose any other lesson to continue working. Have you been working on anything else?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 22 2012, 04:26 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Mar 22 2012, 02:39 PM) *
Well, we should choose any other lesson to continue working. Have you been working on anything else?

I've been working on the Alternate picking prelude lesson you gave me through PM when I first joined. ( Lesson .
It's getting better with the open string ringing (both my right and left hands fingers brush other strings than the ones played if I don't pay attention. I think that probably due to my playing classical and acoustic guitar only for the last few years. But it's getting better. It's got a bit of a sweep picking thing going on as well.

And I started working on String bending lesson: String bending . It's a fun interesting one with new techniques to me.

I've also been going through the Right hand basics lessons cause I really need it. Right hand lessons .

I'm down for anything else you think might be good.

I'm thinking of joining Alex's new Blues Collab as well.

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 22 2012, 06:33 PM
Instructor
All those things sound excellent mate! I love that Right hand basics series.... it's very effective to work on them. You will see a big result in your playing after some days of practice. I think that you already have many things on the way so I would like to just wait for your takes. I would like to see the picking prelude etude and also the first Right hand basics lesson. Also it would be great if you post your ideas for the collab that you selected. Let's work together on those things!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 24 2012, 11:18 PM
Hi gab,

so here are a couple of takes.

The first one from the Alt picking etude, it's at 170 instead of full speed. I'm not quite there yet and I'm still not comfortable with the part down the neck. I find myself in my way...
Alt Pick

The second is the first Right hand exercise.Still working on that one too.
Right Hand tech 1

Let me know what you think.

As far as the blues collab goes, I'm still going through ideas. I have basically zero theory besides a few chords name, so I'm not sure how one usually proceeds with that. I kindda improvise for a while until something fits the backtrack.
I'll try and post a take of that manana.

Cheers

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 25 2012, 07:35 PM
Instructor
Hi Cassien! Thanks for the takes! As you said, the first one sound good but your hand still looks uncomfortable and that can be noted in the sound. You should continue working on this to play it more relaxed and fluently. Maybe we could go for any other Sweep Picking lesson to add more exercises and licks to train your sweeps, what do you think?
The Right hand technique exercise sounds good but I have one comment that is for both lessons. You are picking over the neck pick up and that gives you a particular tone that you get there, I would practice all this exercises picking closer to the central pick up where you get a more balanced tone and let the other extremes for the moments where you want to get a different tone. If you get to used to play there then you won't be able to pick wherever you want.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 25 2012, 11:45 PM
Hey Gab,
Thanks for the feedback.
I noticed the position of my right hand, I'll be more mindful of it during practice. But it does creep towards the neck if I don't pay attention. dry.gif

I'll keep on working on those and I'm down for some more exercises for sweep picking!

Here's a take on the blues collab. Mostly improvised with some themes I'm thinking of going with. Not sure if I'm doing it right or not, so feedback greatly appreciated!!!

Blues Collab Ideas

Cheers!

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 26 2012, 07:35 PM
Instructor
Great mate! Please check the Right Hand / Sweep Picking lessons that I gave in the Vchat sessions:

Lesson Notes

Regarding the blues solo, everything sounds in scale (except some bends that don't reach the correct pitch). I think that the solo is good but that you could work a bit more on phrases that make sense with each other, try to create melodies that make the people that heard the solo remember some sections after hearing it. In some sections I feel like if you were playing scales instead of phrases and melodies, does it make sense?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 26 2012, 09:30 PM
Cheers for the lessons, I'll work on them.
I'll try to come up with some kind of melody for the blues collab and I'll do another take.

Till then!

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 27 2012, 07:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cassien @ Mar 26 2012, 05:30 PM) *
Cheers for the lessons, I'll work on them.
I'll try to come up with some kind of melody for the blues collab and I'll do another take.

Till then!

Excellent! Please post everything here! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cassien
Mar 28 2012, 02:41 PM
Hey gab,

another take for tasty etude, no effect, just want to see if I'm going in the right direction with it.

Tasty Etude

Cheers

--------------------
My Gear:
Mexican Stratocaster
Ibanez S series
Seagull S6 Cedar
Peavy Bandit 65
Peavy Backstage Plus
Korg Pandora PX4

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:59 PM